How "Christian" Do You Need to Be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How, in a way, Christian do you need to be? I'm usually pretty bored in church and with the bible unless it has visual aids, then I get kind of interested. But I'm always bored in church and in youth group etc. I believe in god and pray. But I pray for him to protect earth and people and for me and my family to live long healthy lives and for homeless people etc. etc.

The music I listen to isn't really christian except for one CD. In some CD's they swear, talk about how life is rotten, and lots of other stuff.

Is there something I should be changing in my life style, or whta I'm praying about? And is it ok that I'm usually bored in church, in youth group and with the bible?

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hi Recede,

You're asking how Christ-like we need to be? well, remember that the road to heaven is a long one, it's a continuous process that is subjected to God's grand plan. I was once like you too, bored in church, and i say, many people feel the same, especially younger ones in primary or high school.
But God has His own timing, He'll change your life in a way so unimaginable that you'll recognise it at once, or either in ways seemingly so small that you'll be changed through a period of time.

Christians are to be "salt and light" of the world, it's inevitable that we have to mingle with worldly stuff, but as salt and light, we'll lose our saltiness if we were influenced by the world!
take your case for example, i agree we don't have to listen to Christian music all the time, else Christianity will be a restrain to freedom. But those songs that constitute from rude and swear words we have to watch out. The world's system is that it doesn't matter whether you're rude or not, as long as you don't quite bother others and that everybody swears once in awhile.

However,
1) in Christ, we don't swear, we show kindness and courtesy to others.
2) won't we become a stumbling block to others if they thought being a Christian is just like everybody else?
3) a life is full of trials and temptations, it's certainly hard, but we've God on our side. Life's not rotten in our views, life's to glorify God.
4) think about it, if everybody starts listening to songs like that what would they become? we'll have a generation of swearing, negative-life youngsters running around. Somehow it's so ironic how the government spends so much $$ on education, and the wide media just goes and spoil all those efforts.

Praying (as you're doing), reading the bible and interacting with other Christians would help to further your understanding in God's guideline. It's really not that difficult, you just need the time to figure things out (with a bit of revelation from God).

Maybe you should try praying for your spiritual growth and relationship with fellow Christians in church. I've found that God really did listen to prayers. He'll surely help. I'll add you to my prayer, don't get frustrated Recede, everything will work out fine.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would challenge you to try and find comperable christian music just to start...think about what you are doing before you do it. Read your bible daily..that will help you along. there are some great devotionals out there too. I would recommend my utmost for his highest by Oswauld chambers...I'll pray for ya.

Upvote 0

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
Recede, you say you believe and you pray to God, but do you know him? do you have a personal relationship with him? cause that's what it's realy all about. We need to draw ourselves close to him. I would say the best place to start is before reading the bible, or going to church even, you can pray and ask God to open your eyes and give you understanding, his spirit can show us things we never saw before when we pray for this, and it makes everything so much more interesting. I will be keeping you in my prayers :pray:

Upvote 0

SCJ

Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2002
Middle Georgia
✟29,764.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally posted by Recede
How, in a way, Christian do you need to be? I'm usually pretty bored in church and with the bible unless it has visual aids, then I get kind of interested. But I'm always bored in church and in youth group etc. I believe in god and pray. But I pray for him to protect earth and people and for me and my family to live long healthy lives and for homeless people etc. etc.

The music I listen to isn't really christian except for one CD. In some CD's they swear, talk about how life is rotten, and lots of other stuff.

Is there something I should be changing in my life style, or whta I'm praying about? And is it ok that I'm usually bored in church, in youth group and with the bible?

There is nothing that you will be able to change to make you more Christ-like. Focus primarily on your relationship, once you realize that Christ is very real and wants a personal love relationship with you that is real then He will begin to change you.

It's important to remember that Jesus changes us from the inside out, we cannot change ourselves from the outside in.

Upvote 0

mambutuu

Jun 30, 2002
Visit site
✟317.00
Originally posted by Recede

My advice to you is to keep it simple.

1. Love God
2. Love your neighbor as yourself

Do these thigns and you should have no problem.

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Recede;
You never know how someone feels, until you have walked in their shoes. I have experienced what you are feeling and can only offer you my personal experiences with God and the power of prayer to help you. God knows your heart,
and if you are TOTALLY honest with him in your prayers, he will answer you.

Psalm 25:4-5
Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths, guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my savior, and my hope is in you all day long.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Athlon4all

I'm offline indefintely
Feb 6, 2002
Visit site
✟15,965.00
Blessed-one hit the nail on the head. We need to live for Christ. Act-Christ like, tell others about the Gospel, but most importantly, we need to have a healthy relationship with Jesus. If we don't do these things, or if you don't have any desire to, one has to wonder if you are truely born again

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.