Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
There is a new announcement from the Exec's on CF's definition of what a "Protestant" is. Essentially, a Protestant is anyone who is not a conservative mainline Catholic or Orthodox. Even the SSPX/Trad Catholics are considered Protestant under this new definition.

I have started a [thread=4965060]thread[/thread] in Support forum regarding this issue. I encourage you all to participate.

Reactions: drstevej

frumanchu

God's justice does not demand second chances
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2003
Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sadly, this does not surprise me at all. In my three years, it seems that genuine Protestants have gotten a raw deal.

One thing is for certain: any semblance of balance between Catholics and Protestants is gone.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
fru, I understand the issue, and to lump the Angelicians in the same category as me, a Baptist, is clearly wrong. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. i cannot think of two dissimiliar faiths being confused and lumped together as one under the flag of "Protestantism."

However, being a Moderator, I would be apprehensive voicing my opinion in your thread until I see other Mods doing the same.

It worries me that no other mods, sups, or admins have voiced their opinion.

This is indeed a very disheartening turn of events.

By this same definition, would Mormons or JW's also be included in the "Protestant" icon?

Indeed, a dark turn of events.

"Never underestamate the power of the Dark side of the Force."

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
By this same definition, would Mormons or JW's also be included in the "Protestant" icon?

I would think that would have to be a 'No', wouldn't it?

For the purposes of CF, the "Protestant" group refers to those Christians who affirm the Nicene Creed,

That should end the question right there, shouldn't it?

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would think that would have to be a 'No', wouldn't it?

That should end the question right there, shouldn't it?

Perhaps, but I agree that it is still wrong to lump Angelicans, Lutherans, Methodists, Liberals, Presbyterians, etc. all as Protestants? And from History, would the MJ's traditionally be called "Protestant?" What have they to "protest" over?

And just for FYI; The mornoms do indeed call themselves "Christian," as being as such, we can not say they aren't.

2.1 No Flaming

Stating or implying that another member or group of members who have identified themselves as Christian are not Christian;

Rock----->(me)<-----hard place

I just see it as a bad thing to say there are only three esscential groups of faith: Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant.

I'm just the help, I'm only supposed to do, what I am told to do.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One thing is for certain: any semblance of balance between Catholics and Protestants is gone.

Yep in a two stage process:

[1] Change the balance in ET Admins from 1 Cath & 1 Prot to 1 Cath, 1 Prot and 1 Orthodox. This gives two apostolic sucessionists to oppose Protestants.

[2] Broaden the definition of Protestant while retaining a strict definition of Catholic and Orthodox.

CF Protestant -- What Would Luther Think?

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I just see it as a bad thing to say there are only three esscential groups of faith: Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant.

Actually: Catholic, Orthodox and Whatever

Upvote 0

hopperace

long forgotten host
Oct 20, 2006
✟125,971.00
Faith
Presbyterian
I have started a [thread=4965060]thread[/thread] in Support forum regarding this issue. I encourage you all to participate.

DeaconDean said:
However, being a Moderator, I would be apprehensive voicing my opinion in your thread until I see other Mods doing the same.

Alas, many of us cannot. Another venue would have to be currently used if we are to address this matter. I'd be happy to sponsor something in the CR, but then the general membership would be outside that loop. I'm seeing a very disturbing pattern here that I'm sure has forcefully expressed itself before. As fairly new to Staff I had really hoped to avoid the historic Roman Catholic / Protestant dynamic at CF in favor of more ecumenical paradigms, but there's a growing mound of recent evidences that the pendulum has swung against us, the systemic divide runs deep, and the current trends are with purposeful intent.

If I can be of help as a Calvinist and Semper Reformanda representative of/to Staff, please advise me.

- kib :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

frumanchu

God's justice does not demand second chances
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2003
Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Alas, many of us cannot. Another venue would have to be currently used if we are to address this matter. I'd be happy to sponsor something in the CR, but then the general membership would be outside that loop. I'm seeing a very disturbing pattern here that I'm sure has forcefully expressed itself before. As fairly new to Staff I had really hoped to avoid the historic Roman Catholic / Protestant dynamic at CF in favor of more ecumenical paradigms, but there's a growing mound of recent evidences that the pendulum has swung against us, the systemic divide runs deep, and the current trends are with purposeful intent.

If I can be of help as a Calvinist and Semper Reformanda representative of/to Staff, please advise me.

Simply make your concerns known, especially if there are any threads in the CR about the announcement (which I'm guessing there are by now).

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Maybe you can suggest renaming the Semper Reformada forum to "Calvinist Guitmo"

:sigh:

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
http://www.christianforums.com/showpost.php?p=32711702&postcount=60

Tom UK: So there wouldn't be any procedural problems with an SSPX serving as PAD if they weren't in communion with the Pope?

NewMan99: I suppose not. However, I highly doubt they'd be interested in doing so.

===

So, a Traditionalist Catholic meets the definition of Protestant at CF and is hypothetically a candidate for Protestant Affairs Director (PAD) at CF.

TRAD PAD ???

Sad :(

Reactions: Erinwilcox
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
H

HamletsChoice

There is a new announcement from the Exec's on CF's definition of what a "Protestant" is. Essentially, a Protestant is anyone who is not a conservative mainline Catholic or Orthodox. Even the SSPX/Trad Catholics are considered Protestant under this new definition.

I think Eric is so tolerant of Roman Catholicism that he has effectively embraced it.

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Voted best Semper Reformada signature ~ 2007
Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
BTW, all, here is a new take. Not all Reformed/ Calvinists are Protestant. There are Messianic Calvinists. There are Anglican Calvinists. There are Reformed Baptists. And, Calvinist Presbyterians. etc.

Of course, each of these groups also have non-Calvinists.

And, it is for this reason in part that I have chosen to reject the label Christian or Protestant. Both terms are essentially meaningless today. At least the label Reformed/ Calvinist still has some real meaning.

Your friendly neighborhood Cordial Calvinist
Woody.

Upvote 0

IronWill

Reformed Godfather
Sep 13, 2005
Mississippi
Visit site
✟8,694.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
BTW, all, here is a new take. Not all Reformed/ Calvinists are Protestant. There are Messianic Calvinists. There are Anglican Calvinists. There are Reformed Baptists. And, Calvinist Presbyterians. etc.

Of course, each of these groups also have non-Calvinists.

And, it is for this reason in part that I have chosen to reject the label Christian or Protestant. Both terms are essentially meaningless today. At least the label Reformed/ Calvinist still has some real meaning.

Your friendly neighborhood Cordial Calvinist
Woody.
I would agree. However, I do believe that the name "Baptist" still has a great deal of meaning as well. I, for one, am a Baptist, and I do find it disheartening at times to simply be labeled as "Protestant." And I don't think anybody should be labeled anything other than what they are.

I can't say however, that I haven't seen this coming on this particular forum. Unity is promoted above Purity.

Viva la revolution!

Upvote 0

erin74

Ministry is about people not structures.
Feb 8, 2005
rural australia
✟26,267.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
fru, I understand the issue, and to lump the Angelicians in the same category as me, a Baptist, is clearly wrong. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. i cannot think of two dissimiliar faiths being confused and lumped together as one under the flag of "Protestantism."

This is indeed a very disheartening turn of events.

Indeed, a dark turn of events.

"Never underestamate the power of the Dark side of the Force."

God Bless

Till all are one.
Hey there DD - that is because only approved staff are allowed to post in the Discuss Rules forum.
I am sure there are plenty of staff who would have posted in there otherwise.

Oh - and not all Anglicans are too different theologically!

Upvote 0