How certain are you of your faith beliefs?

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One piece I find interesting, is asking believers how certain they are of their personal faith belief and or belief in God.

In other words, I am curious how many Christians are willing to admit; they may be wrong in what they believe and it is possible, the God they believe in does not exist.

In regards to atheists, It would also be interesting to hear how many have the position, that there is a zero percent chance, that a God exists.

Thanks.

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You mean the God you no longer believe in? Which version of God is in question? (very subjective, no?) Could you please be more specific? If you wish, I mean no pressure.

This has nothing to do with me and everything to do with what you believe and how sure you are of the belief. If you believe in a God, you have one in mind right? So, whatever God that is.

Upvote 0

znr

Report THIS.
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟30,220.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
Okay, as you wish. I've already told you which God I believe in, the one who saves. I don't mind referring to him as the "Christian" God, for reference sake, but he's a lot bigger than that to me.

I have doubts, sure. Not so much in his existence, though I do go through ups and downs. It's not an easy life. There are days I choose to believe and days I'm less insecure. But my past is an issue and there are reasons I'm timid. All in all, I'm trusting and remain hopeful.

Was that too vague?
This has nothing to do with me and everything to do with what you believe and how sure you are of the belief. If you believe in a God, you have one in mind right? So, whatever God that is.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Okay, as you wish. I've already told you which God I believe in, the one who saves. I don't mind referring to him as the "Christian" God, for reference sake, but he's a lot bigger than that to me.

I have doubts, sure. Not so much in his existence, though I do go through ups and downs. It's not an easy life. There are days I choose to believe and days I'm less insecure. But my past is an issue and there are reasons I'm timid. All in all, I'm trusting and remain hopeful.

Was that too vague?

Ok. Should I take that as; you have faith in the God you believe in, but you do leave open the possibility that you may be wrong?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One piece I find interesting, is asking believers how certain they are of their personal faith belief and or belief in God.

In other words, I am curious how many Christians are willing to admit; they may be wrong in what they believe and it is possible, the God they believe in does not exist.

In regards to atheists, It would also be interesting to hear how many have the position, that there is a zero percent chance, that a God exists.

Thanks.

bhsmte,

Is your question an epistemological one, or is it instead an emotive one?

Peace

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

znr

Report THIS.
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟30,220.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
Well, even the bible says without faith it is impossible to please God. What happens when a persons faith is deeply challenged? They doubt and linger on "does God REALLY exist?" I am a hypocrite if I believe in a God who saves, but lacks the compassion to work with my doubt. Could I be wrong and there is no God? Yes, I could be wrong. That's fine. I still believe. Truly, like a child. Hope this was a decent answer for you insofar as I'm working hard here to converse candidly and without pretense.
Ok. Should I take that as; you have faith in the God you believe in, but you do leave open the possibility that you may be wrong?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Would you have a different answer for each one?

...not particularly...but it could be possible. ;)

In answer to your somewhat generic question, I unabashedly admit that I could be wrong about God's existence...and I'm fine with that.

There was a time when I literally 'chased' theological certainty, but now I 'know' that it is very unlikely that God will afford me that luxury.

Upvote 0

znr

Report THIS.
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟30,220.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
A bit off topic...In some circles your view would be considered unbelief and warrant correction. I keep a lot of my views to myself. Like, views on eternal damnation, on which I haven't really formed a clear opinion or belief, and I've been a Christian for a long time. But I feel often pushed by other believers to hurry the heck up and decide. Funny, i dont feel at all convicted about my lack of opinion on hell.

In answer to your somewhat generic question, I unabashedly admit that I could be wrong about God's existence...and I'm fine with that.

There was a time when I literally 'chased' theological certainty, but now I 'know' that it is very unlikely that God will afford me that luxury.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, even the bible says without faith it is impossible to please God. What happens when a persons faith is deeply challenged? They doubt and linger on "does God REALLY exist?" I am a hypocrite if I believe in a God who saves, but lacks the compassion to work with my doubt. Could I be wrong and there is no God? Yes, I could be wrong. That's fine. I still believe. Truly, like a child. Hope this was a decent answer for you insofar as I'm working hard here to converse candidly and without pretense.

Thanks Z.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Fair enough, thanks.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A bit off topic...In some circles your view would be considered unbelief and warrant correction. I keep a lot of my views to myself. Like, views on eternal damnation, on which I haven't really formed a clear opinion or belief, and I've been a Christian for a long time. But I feel often pushed by other believers to hurry the heck up and decide. Funny, i dont feel at all convicted about my lack of opinion on hell.

Hi ZNR,

You're right, of course about my views; there are Christians with whom I could bump heads, but I'm not overly concerned with their reactions. Besides, if they want to take me to task over the meaning of Hebrews 11:1, then I'll require that they do it using some kind of reference to the Koine Greek tools available. (But, as you know, some Christians will try to remind us that if the English Bible was good enough for Paul, it should be good enough for us too...;))

Ah Hell....yes, I remember that concept. Strangely, Hell really didn't become a factor in my decision to give Christianity a place in my life. I was taken in by the idea of eternal life with Jesus. But, I guess if a person feels they play with fire often enough, they might want fire insurance. ;)

Upvote 0

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Thanks.

I definitely may be wrong. Objectively, that remains in the realm of possibility since there is no objective or empirical evidence of the biblical God outside of the Bible (which the non-believer wouldn't accept because that would be using the Bible to prove the Bible which is circular logic) and I don't think any Christian can argue against that. If there were to be any objective evidence, then it wouldn't be faith anymore. That's what faith is: believing something based on their word alone. I believe in God based on His word alone; I'm quite sure this is a requirement of all Christians actually.

Also, I'd usually say that I'm not right but that the Bible is right; saying I'm right sounds too arrogant to me (but maybe that's just more of that recoil effect of having been quite an arrogant atheist for a long while). (I really do think I'm right else I wouldn't base my whole life around the belief I have; but do I know without a doubt I'm right? Of course not--that's what faith is however, like I mentioned. Sometimes God strengthens our faith so that there is practically no doubt--except for that lingering rationalism, for those that are familiar with scientific evidence and have that sort of background, that says that really, there is no empirical evidence--and sometimes our faith weakens so that we are assailed by many doubts).

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm much more certain of the goodness of God than any conceptualization I have of this goodness. I guess that's closer to faith, really.

Sort of the converse of my confidence. I am sure that the God of the Bible as portrayed by many (perhaps most) American Christians does not exist.

The further one gets from an insecure all powerful God who seems to live to be worshiped the less inclined I am to be positive.

Upvote 0