United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As you may know, I’m a convert.

I became Catholic almost 25 years ago. And one of the major reasons why I did was that many of the Protestant denominations in which I spent time interpreted the very same Bible in many different, often contradictory ways.

I needed an authoritative voice to say, “This is the truth!”

And praise God, I found it in the Catholic Church.

Jesus gave us the Church and the Church gave us the Bible.

But while Catholicism certainly defines the meaning of many passages, it doesn’t give us an exact interpretation of everything.

That said, it does give us specific guidelines to follow when interpretation is needed. And as outlined by the Catechism (n. 115), part of those guidelines are called the “4 Senses of Scripture.”

And knowing what they are can totally change how you read the Bible personally, as well as experience it in the Mass.

Continued below.
124: How Catholics Read & Interpret Scripture - MATTHEW LEONARD

Reactions: Joined2krist

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Having said that it's great to have a clear, accurate and correct interpretation -- and having read quite a bit in the wonderful Catholic Catechism, which is just simply excellent -- we can still say (or certainly I will) that I'm glad that the theory called "Limbo" was tossed into the official trash can not long ago... (and yes, we know it was not an official doctrine, etc.)

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟332,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Having said that it's great to have a clear, accurate and correct interpretation -- and having read quite a bit in the wonderful Catholic Catechism, which is just simply excellent -- we can still say (or certainly I will) that I'm glad that the theory called "Limbo" was tossed into the official trash can not long ago... (and yes, we know it was not an official doctrine, etc.)
Theological opinions have always existed and will always exist. There's nothing wrong with them as long as they don't contradict known Church teaching. What's important is to be able to know the difference between an opinion and Church teaching. In specific times and places, because people have not been diligent enough, opinions have been presented as teaching and can sometimes take a while to root out.

It's not easy to keep a billion people on the same page.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0