• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

How can we successfully interact with Afghan refugees we may meet soon?

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by joymercy, Sep 3, 2021.

1. joymercy

joymercy Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,514
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    Currently there are tens of thousands of Afghan refugees currently stationed at American military bases.

If more people of the Muslim faith from Afghanistan happen to encounter us in every day life, what and how should we say or respond to them?

So we have things in common?

What do fellow Catholics say or do when meeting them?

Would you share anything about the faith?

I ask this in light of a recent thread on CF that helps to explain the concerns, and if you review it you might better understand that I'm asking us Catholics how we would handle this situation in general: The problem with Afghan Refugees

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. joymercy

+1,514
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    So far, when encountering many people of the Muslim faith, most respond well to a simple smile.

I have found the women to be very friendly and love to talk about clothes and cooking.

Some told me they knew who Mary was and point to my medal....its a starting point.

3. AvilaSurfer

AvilaSurfer Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,715
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    I don’t understand the question. They’re people.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+43,807
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I’d say just be a good witness for our faith. Show them the difference. The last thing they need is a debate or pushiness. Pray for them. Just live by example. Show them God’s love. Let them feel they can follow their dreams. They grew up in a situation where they had no choice. Let our example be their choice.

5. Space Monkey

Space Monkey Active Member

+647
    United States
    Lutheran
    Private
    6 feet apart with a mask on.

Just kidding.

I guess I'm confused by your question too. You interact with them just like you would any other person... If you even come into contact with them. They're not, like, sub human animals or diseased creatures or something. They're human beings.

Do you mean to ask, how do we witness to them? Be a good human being. Imagine being a refugee and upon landing you have people in your face preaching Jesus. That helps absolutely nobody; not you, not them, and not the faith. It will turn them off fast. Just be kind. It's that simple.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Bob Crowley

Bob Crowley Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,223
    Australia
    Catholic
    Married
    Mary is held in high regard in Islam.

Mary in Islam - Wikipedia

Bishop Fulton Sheen wrote an article entitled "Mary and the Moslems" way back in the 1950's long before the Moslem world started to become resurgent, which you might find interesting.

https://d2y1pz2y630308.cloudfront.net/1053/documents/2014/9/Back_to_the_Future.pdf

Meanwhile Mary has turned up in quite a number of approved apparitions. My old Protestant pastor said to me about Marian Apparitions "There's been a lot of them...", "They line up with Scripture ..." and "I think they're a judgement on a divided church."

Rest assured one of the reasons that Christianity is going backwards in the West is it's divisions. As Christ said -

Matthew 12:25 NIV "Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand."

Admittedly He was replying to the Pharisees who accused Him of getting His power from Satan. But the basic principle remains. If we continue to remain divided, our house will not stand.

7. joymercy

+1,514
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    I put this out there, because there have been very many fellow Catholics in various parishes I have attended who have very negative thoughts regarding Muslims, yet we are all going to have to deal with the fact that there are refugees here that will be resettled into the USA.

If our country rescued them, only to have the citizenry reject and hate on them, what does that say about us?

Do we break bread together, do we try and find commonalities or do we just hate and talk about our AR-15's after mass in the parking lot as I have experienced.

8. joymercy

+1,514
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    if you review this latest thread below,it you might better understand that I'm asking us Catholics how we would handle this situation in general: The problem with Afghan Refugees

9. Space Monkey

+647
    United States
    Lutheran
    Private
    That thread was posted a half hour ago. You can't ask in light of that thread when your thread beat it by 24 hours.

10. joymercy

+1,514
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    reworded it....its a helpful thread to understand what I am trying to say at least.

11. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+9,353
    Christian

Who discusses AR15’s after Mass? Where do you live?

12. Space Monkey

+647
    United States
    Lutheran
    Private
    50 Cent