How Can This Be Explained from an LCMS Perspective?

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟153,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nothing new in this theory, they've just revamped something I first heard about 20 years ago. In fact the person I heard it from provided reported of scientists who believed this had been trying to recreate the exact conditions where they thought the first I think it was amino acids formed but had thousands of failed experiments to try to replicate it.

Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Every time I start to feel confident in my faith, some scientist comes along and ruins it. I heard a news story about this on AIG News. How can Genesis be correct when scientists think they’ve figured out the origin of life and they say it’s begun like this......?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/lightning-origin-of-life-1.5952917
Please don't let this trouble you. It's nothing more than a hypothesis that lightning can create phosphorus. That's fine, but free phosphorus doesn't create life.

I faced this crisis many years ago and overcame it by learning what life really consists of, and how complicated even the simplest cells really are. I'm now convinced there is absolutely no way that life arose from non-life without God's direction.

I suggest going to creation.com and browsing their articles on "abiogenesis". There's a good reason we don't see living cells springing up around us: you could have every atom in the visible universe randomly interacting with one another, watch it for billions of years, and never create even a hemoglobin protein, much less a functioning cell (I once did this exercise myself). That's how complicated life is.

Paul once said this:

For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. - Romans 1:20​

I think his words remain true, and partly thanks to modern biology.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Every time I start to feel confident in my faith, some scientist comes along and ruins it. I heard a news story about this on AIG News. How can Genesis be correct when scientists think they’ve figured out the origin of life and they say it’s begun like this......?

This isn't the first time I've heard this story.

What's interesting to me is, they still can't prove no God, even if they could prove God did it this way. Truth is, they don't know much.

But notice how often they say, 'may have', and, 'facilitated', and, 'may offer insight', and such. In other words, they got nothing.

"God: 'Oh, no. nonono --go get your own dirt!''

• Agree
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The real protection ultimately isn't what we know, but this --

24 “Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. 26 And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. 27 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.”

So there is the only sure way to endure, for all, regardless of our understanding of things or what the world brings next.

Nothing can ever destroy those who listen to Christ and do as He says.

And none will survive that do not.

• Useful
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Hold firm in Christ, scientific discoveries and exploration of the mechanics of creation should inspire worship of God, not injure your faith.

I can't speak about the LCMS; but the Lutheran foundation is Jesus Christ, His life, death, and resurrection, and the infallible promises we have in Him through His word--not a literal interpretation of Genesis chapter 1.

Christ for you. That is the Gospel. That is Lutheranism.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟153,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hold firm in Christ, scientific discoveries and exploration of the mechanics of creation should inspire worship of God, not injure your faith.

I can't speak about the LCMS; but the Lutheran foundation is Jesus Christ, His life, death, and resurrection, and the infallible promises we have in Him through His word--not a literal interpretation of Genesis chapter 1.

Christ for you. That is the Gospel. That is Lutheranism.

-CryptoLutheran
The LCMS believes in a literal interpretation of Genesis.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟153,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone else watch Answers in Genesis News? When they have scientifically oriented stories, the hosts and hostesses spend their time mocking and giggling at the scientists rather than presenting a strong argument that’s either scientifically or theologically sound to debunk the story.
I need to stop watching it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟768,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does anyone else watch Answers in Genesis News? When they have scientifically oriented stories, the hosts and hostesses spend their time mocking and giggling at the scientists rather than presenting a strong argument that’s either scientifically or theologically sound to debunk the story.
I need to stop watching it.
I have watched it a few times, but it was not "my thing", I also noticed what you saw and that annoyed me.
I think this will help you:

Browse Media - Genesis Conflict - English/ - Amazing Discoveries TV

The series is called Genesis Conflict. Free to watch online. There are 8 videos. It is also available in other languages (on the left hand side of the screen you will see the other languages). The page that opens on this link is the English version. The series will help to rebuild your faith in God and creation.
Amazing Discoveries is closely aligned with the SDA church and theology, there is nothing inherently wrong with that in and of itself, but it also often does not align with Lutheran theology. It is just worth noting for the link.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,763.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The complex reactions that occur in order to create proteins and other 'building blocks' of life can only exist within the walls of a several orders of magnitude more complex cell, because if they are not immediately moved from the environment they are created in, they will very quickly decompose into their simpler parts. It is all well and good to theorise that the building blocks of life were created in some kind of primordial soup, but that same soup which is needed for their random creation is also extremely hostile to their continued existence and they will break down in a matter of moments without ever randomly joining up with whatever else is needed to form just one part of the thousands of components needed to make even the simplest living cell.
Those who come up with these theories are only looking at a tiny part of the picture. Once you expand your view just a little then their theories fall apart.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟153,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The complex reactions that occur in order to create proteins and other 'building blocks' of life can only exist within the walls of a several orders of magnitude more complex cell, because if they are not immediately moved from the environment they are created in, they will very quickly decompose into their simpler parts. It is all well and good to theorise that the building blocks of life were created in some kind of primordial soup, but that same soup which is needed for their random creation is also extremely hostile to their continued existence and they will break down in a matter of moments without ever randomly joining up with whatever else is needed to form just one part of the thousands of components needed to make even the simplest living cell.
Those who come up with these theories are only looking at a tiny part of the picture. Once you expand your view just a little then their theories fall apart.
That’s kind of over my head. So IOW, life can’t form in the manner these scientists are proposing.....God is needed?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟153,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think this will help you:

Browse Media - Genesis Conflict - English/ - Amazing Discoveries TV

The series is called Genesis Conflict. Free to watch online. There are 8 videos. It is also available in other languages (on the left hand side of the screen you will see the other languages). The page that opens on this link is the English version. The series will help to rebuild your faith in God and creation.
After posting with some people here who are evolutionists and seem to really know their stuff, I doubt it’ll help.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,763.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
After posting with some people here who are evolutionists and seem to really know their stuff, I doubt it’ll help.
Evolution cannot explain the origin of life, and while the theory of evolution requires the long passage of time, at the molecular level time is the enemy.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟153,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Evolution cannot explain the origin of life, and while the theory of evolution requires the long passage of time, at the molecular level time is the enemy.

I believe God is the source of all life, but what about all these posts about reptiles/human ear bones and fish with feet/walking on land fish, evolution from fish to salamanders etc. ?

Upvote 0