How can some Christian's believe that not all of our sins are forgiven?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I see this way too much here on CF. A lot of people claiming that once we accept Christ only our past sins are forgiven and various other things. If this is the case why does the bible teach the opposite?

Complete atonement is taught throught the Bible. Some example verses are Micah 7:18-19, Isaiah 43:25, Luke 7:47-48, Acts 3:19, 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, Hebrews 10:10, 1 John 2:2, Colossians 2:13 and many more. Those are just a few examples. When Jesus healed the sick and did many miracles he said to the sinners "your sins are forgiven." He did not say "your past sins are forgiven but you have to keep repenting of them and constantly confess your sins to God in order to have your future sins forgiven..." NO he said your sins are forgiven past, present, and future.

So what about 1 John 1:9 then if our sins are completely forgiven? See:

Why do we need to confess our sins if they have already been forgiven (1 John 1:9)? | GotQuestions.org for the answer.

Last edited:

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I see this way too much here on CF. A lot of people claiming that once we accept Christ only our past sins are forgiven and various other things. If this is the case why does the bible teach the opposite?

Complete atonement is taught throught the Bible. Some example verses are Micah 7:18-19, Isaiah 43:25, Luke 7:47-48, Acts 3:19, 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, Hebrews 10:10, 1 John 2:2, and many more. Those are just a few examples. When Jesus healed the sick and did many miracles he said to the sinners "your sins are forgiven." He did not say "your past sins are forgiven but you have to keep repenting of them and constantly confess your sins to God in order to have your future sins forgiven..." NO he said your sins are forgiven past, present, and future.

Why do we need to confess our sins if they have already been forgiven (1 John 1:9)? | GotQuestions.org for the answer.

When one asks for forgiveness they are forgiven ... and they are to repent. However if one repeats the sin then yes ... they need to ask for forgiveness again.

" NO he said your sins are forgiven past, present, and future.

Not so.

Matthew 18:21

21Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother who sins against me? Up to seven times?”

Matthew 18:21-22
Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.

70 x 7 = 490

you reckon there's a repeated sin in there?

I'd say so. ;o)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When Jesus healed the sick and did many miracles he said to the sinners "your sins are forgiven." He did not say "your past sins are forgiven but you have to keep repenting of them and constantly confess your sins to God in order to have your future sins forgiven..." NO he said your sins are forgiven past, present, and future.
"Neither do I condemn you. GO AND SIN NO MORE."

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (Written to believers)

1 John 5:16
If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask and God will for him give life to those who commit sin not leading to death. There is a sin leading to death; I do not say that he should make request for this. (Written to believers)

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,820.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So you believe that once you "accept christ" you are capable of continuing in sin....and this would be ok because future sins are forgiven as well?

Many would ponder this belief as well.

Hello Raymond. Grace provokes a response in someone. Because our sins are forgiven by the grace of God we endeavour to walk in fellowship with God. We're grateful for our free pardon. The believer walks with Christ through thanksgiving, not legalism. That thanksgiving means we want to share the good news with others. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Raymond. Grace provokes a response in someone. Because our sins are forgiven by the grace of God we endeavour to walk in fellowship with God. We're grateful for our free pardon. The believer walks with Christ through thanksgiving, not legalism. That thanksgiving means we want to share the good news with others. God Bless :)
Does this mean that we continue in sin that Grace may abound?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,820.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wasnt sure if you were agreeing or disagreeing with the post you replied to.....Wanted you to clear it up for the reader.

Hi Raymond. Sorry, I thought that was already clear. I'm adding a small qualification to the OP. I thought it was an interesting post.

What I'm saying is that receiving God's grace changes us so much that we live lives of thanksgiving, endeavouring to walk with fellowship with God and walking in holiness. If anyone is in Christ they are a new creation, the old has gone and the new has come. We are the righteousness of God in Christ.

People who don't give a hoot about sin or righteousness haven't received God's grace.

People who are self-righteous or have some legalistic formula for salvation haven't received God's grace.

Christians who say they still don't struggle with sin are deluded. We are to help one another looking through the lens of God's grace with thanksgiving.

God Bless :)

• Informative
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Raymond. Sorry, I thought that was already clear. I'm adding a small qualification to the OP. I thought it was an interesting post.

What I'm saying is that receiving God's grace changes us so much that we live lives of thanksgiving, endeavouring to walk with fellowship with God and walking in holiness. If anyone is in Christ they are a new creation, the old has gone and the new has come. We are the righteousness of God in Christ.

People who don't give a hoot about sin or righteousness haven't received God's grace.

People who are self-righteous or have some legalistic formula for salvation haven't received God's grace.

Christians who say they still don't struggle with sin are deluded. We are to help one another looking through the lens of God's grace with thanksgiving.

God Bless :)
So it seems that you agree with the OP then.....but you add that you care about trying to live righteous.....but would be deluded if you think you can ever reach a point where you arent struggling with sin.

I disagree.....yet I find no fault in what you believe.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Complete atonement is taught throught the Bible. Some example verses are Micah 7:18-19, Isaiah 43:25, Luke 7:47-48, Acts 3:19, 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, Hebrews 10:10, 1 John 2:2, and many more. Those are just a few examples. When Jesus healed the sick and did many miracles he said to the sinners "your sins are forgiven." He did not say "your past sins are forgiven but you have to keep repenting of them and constantly confess your sins to God in order to have your future sins forgiven..." NO he said your sins are forgiven past, present, and future.

If Jesus has not set genuine believers from the penalty and power of all sin, then He is not a complete Saviour.

• Agree
Reactions: Neostarwcc
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
So you believe that once you "accept christ" you are capable of continuing in sin....and this would be ok because future sins are forgiven as well?

Many would ponder this belief as well.

Nope, not at all. Where in the post did I say that? If I claimed such a thing I would not be reading my Bible now would I?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
When one asks for forgiveness they are forgiven ... and they are to repent. However if one repeats the sin then yes ... they need to ask for forgiveness again.

Not so.

Matthew 18:21

21Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother who sins against me? Up to seven times?”

Matthew 18:21-22
Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.

70 x 7 = 490

you reckon there's a repeated sin in there?

I'd say so. ;o)

When Christ said 70 x 7 he did not mean there's a limit to one's forgiveness. He just gave an exponential number as to how many times we should forgive to make a point. He did not mean that we should only forgive those who sinned against us 490 times and then after that, there's no forgiveness. That would be a contradiction to Christ's previous statement in Matthew 6:14-15.

One verse I forgot to put in the OP is Colossians 2:13. I'll do that now.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
"Neither do I condemn you. GO AND SIN NO MORE."

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (Written to believers)

1 John 5:16
If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask and God will for him give life to those who commit sin not leading to death. There is a sin leading to death; I do not say that he should make request for this. (Written to believers)

I don't see how those verses contradict the ones I gave in the OP and to the rest of what John says throughout his writings. I already posted an article explaining the first one which you clearly didn't read that or you read it scoffed at it and decided to go with your own interpretation of the verse. If our sins aren't forgiven than the cross of Christ was incomplete. When Christ said "It is finished" he meant it. As to Christ's statement of "go and sin no more" that's been debated since Jesus spoke those very words.

Personally, I think that he was telling the adulterous woman to stop living in sin. Because she was not only caught in the act of a grave sin against God, but probably lived in many other sins since. Since the rest of the Bible tells us that we cannot live in sin I believe this is the case. Just because all of our sins are forgiven does NOT give us a license to sin. God not only deals with our sins on a daily basis, convicts us of our sins, ...etc but Christians also battle their sin daily. After all, Paul puts it a great way in Romans 6:1-2.

Surely, he wasn't telling the woman to stop sinning if that's what you're claiming which, would be impossible.

Let me put it this way, how is it we are sealed by the Holy Spirit for the day of redemption (Ephesians 4:30) if all of our sins aren't forgiven by God? How are we not perfected forever by Christs sacrifice as Hebrews 10:10-14 states? Why does God say to Isaiah that he will wipe out our sins and remember them no more? Why does Peter say that he not only died for OUR sins but for the sins of the whole world? Why does Micah say that God will "cast ALL of our sins into the depth of the sea?"

It's just spread throughout the Bible. It's not like it's one or two verses.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I do not see when saying: "Your sins are forgiven" that means all future sins. We can forgive our brother of sins against us, but if he sins again against us he needs to repent ans ask forgiveness again.

It's because of what Jesus said "Your sins are forgiven", "Her sins which are many are forgiven" ...etc. If it were true that only our past sins were forgiven don't you think Christ would have added extra words and instructions into there? Like "Your sins up until accepting me are forgiven but after that you have to confess all of your sins to God to become cleansed and forgiven." Honestly that interpretation of 1 John 1:19 just doesn't fit in with the rest of what John said in his writings and doesn't fit in with the rest of the Bible and what God has promised since the beginning of time.

God promised to Adam and Eve to send a savior that will completely wipe out all of the sin from the face of the planet that they put there. He didn't promise to only wipe out some of the sins of the world. When Christ gave himself on the cross he completely wiped out the sins of the entire world. But, in order to not be held accountable for our sins we have to accept and come to Christ.

True, Christ didn't say "completely forgiven" but, he didn't have to the rest of the Bible and his general context spoke for itself.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
So it seems that you agree with the OP then.....but you add that you care about trying to live righteous.....but would be deluded if you think you can ever reach a point where you arent struggling with sin.

I disagree.....yet I find no fault in what you believe.

We all struggle in sin and I don't think he or I in my OP was trying to deny that. I think what the OP was trying to say is that we aren't held accountable for our sins anymore.

A good verse that supports what we're saying is what Paul says in Romans 6:10 it reads:

"The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God."

Never do people who truly believe in OSAS or that our sins are wiped out by God claim that we can continue to live in sin after we accept Christ. To do that would be to basically spit in Christ's face and it would not be accepting Christ at all. When a person comes to Christ they leave their old lives behind and a new life begins (2 Corinthians 5:17) Plus, I don't believe that anyone ever chooses Christ. I never chose Christ on my own. Christ chose me. The Bible says that those who Christ has chosen will constantly be worked on for their entire lives so that they can appear before him sinless and blameless (Philippians 1:6)

Upvote 0