New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Time and time again I stray from God. Not even sure if Ive ever had a real relationship with God. What can I do? Also scriptures to take away feeling sad and lonely. Thank you
Hi quietstorm089. Sorry you are feeling that way. I also am familiar with that feeling.

Our relationship with YHWH is first and foremost through trusting in His Son for salvation.

Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.”
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. John 3

Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?”
Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.” John 6

My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world. 1 John 2

We should learn to simply rest in that fact before we go any further or expect anything more. For now, simply rest in Him and wait for Him.

See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. All who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure. 1 John 3

Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The thing which you can and must do is submit to God and break your commitment to your flesh in repentance- and you must then walk daily going forward maintaining that commitment which is essentially carrying your cross in identification with Christ in His death to sin and living unto God. You can do this because God provides strength to overcome sin and to live acceptably to Him to those who do the above. There is also mercy available through Christ's High Priesthood where those who do the above (and only those) can be cleansed by Christ's blood for their past sins and where they yet fall short in the present. There is a never ending supply of grace through Christ for those who submit to God and wholeheartedly seek to please Him to the point of death to self and suffering for the Truth of His Word. He has made precious promises on His end of His covenant which make it possible for Him to carry you to the end faithful, pure, and blameless as you trust Him and do your end of the covenant. The facts that He does the harder part, that He is faithful, and that his demands for us are reasonable make it possible and realistic for us to our part- if we will only believe His Word and embrace the suffering that is involved with acting rightly in accordance with his Word.

John 12:24-26: "24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. 25 He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. 26 If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour."

James 1:21-27: "21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. 22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. 23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: 24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. 25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed. 26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain. 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world."

1 Corinthians 10:13-14: "13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. 14 Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry."

Be sure that God is totally good, He has never wronged you nor wronged anyone, and He has a way for you to get through whatever you are facing in a way that you can be both blameless before Him and not destroyed in your soul. Turn to Him in repentance and trust in Him going forward. Be confident that things always end up good for those that believe Him enough to live by what is right in His eyes and steadfastly hold to the truth that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him (Hebrews 11:6). He is all powerful and totally faithful, so much so that even the darkest times do not prove otherwise. He gives wisdom and strength to those who seek Him wholeheartedly by faith, and He raises those that endure from the grave in victory, whether that be from a literal or figurative grave.

Lamentations 3:25-26: "25 The Lord is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him. 26 It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the Lord."

Isaiah 40:27-31: "27 Why sayest thou, O Jacob, and speakest, O Israel, My way is hid from the Lord, and my judgment is passed over from my God? 28 Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding. 29 He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. 30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: 31 But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

Psalm 145:17-21: "17 The Lord is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works. 18 The Lord is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth. 19 He will fulfil the desire of them that fear him: he also will hear their cry, and will save them. 20 The Lord preserveth all them that love him: but all the wicked will he destroy. 21 My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord: and let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever."

James 5:10-11: "10 Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience. 11 Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy."

Upvote 0

Ahermit

May 10, 2015
✟48,465.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Time and time again I stray from God. Not even sure if Ive ever had a real relationship with God. What can I do? Also scriptures to take away feeling sad and lonely. Thank you
Sounds like you are getting sick and tired of following your own will, but fearful of letting go of it because it's all you got. You rather be alone than to be with God. Rather feel sad about your dishonesty than to be joyfully honest.

What can you do?
Surrender to honesty to get honest. Realize that God, or Truth, is Everything Real. Surrender everything to get Everything. As long as you hang on, nothing will change. You will time and time again stray from God.

• Useful
Reactions: ajcarey
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Time and time again I stray from God.

Why? Why do you so frequently and persistently stray from Him?

Not even sure if Ive ever had a real relationship with God.

What does a "real relationship" look like, exactly?

What can I do?

Well, if you've no idea why you stray and aren't sure what a relationship with God is supposed to look like, it will be hard to correct your straying and experience a real relationship with your Maker.

Also scriptures to take away feeling sad and lonely. Thank you

It isn't Scripture that takes away sadness and loneliness but the Author of Scripture who does that. Scripture is only really comforting because we know and love the One who gave it to us.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Set apart some time with God everyday. Morning and bed time at least. Not just 5 minutes. How about an hour in the morning and an hour at night? This should be a daily routine. Worship and praise is good. At least listen to some good songs of praise to the Lord.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,352.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi,

Often times when we feel, sad an lonely, it is because our present circumstance is not favorable. Things don't seem to be going our way. But I would encourage you in this, that the bible says "that all things work together for good for those who love God". God has good plans for us, and your current situations will not last forever. Many people in the bible went trough a time of trail, or trouble before they saw the full blessing by God. Joseph was sold as a slave, and put in a dirty prison, but soon after he became second only to Pharaoh, God made him rule. David was chased through the wilderness before becoming king. Many people of faith experience, doubts, fears, sadness, and concerns, but God has good plans for each of his children. Look towards the good future God has planned for you. Also you mentioned you have trouble remaining focused on God and stray. The bible tells us that as we spend time in God's presence, he will strengthen us against sin. Jesus said "Pray that you enter not into temptation, for the flesh is weak, but the Spirit willing". This means God's spirit strengthens us against our sinful desires as we spend time with Him. God is for you not against you.

Upvote 0

lezter

JESUS IS KING
Nov 6, 2019
Calamba
✟16,218.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Behold, I stand at the door and knock.I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. Hear what the Spirit saying Revelation 3:20. if you will turn back to prior verses it is for those Follower of Christ who struggling about their relationship with Him. read it and Enjoy what God prepared for you. Im praying for you. Godbless

Upvote 0

Brenda Blakely

Apr 26, 2019
Portland
✟29,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What an interesting handle you have. I couldn’t help but wonder the meaning behind it. But let me assure you: you are human just like the rest of us. I believe we just finally get tired of ourselves and our way and the empty place in our heart long for God’s plan and His way. We are all sinners, that is a given according to the scriptures. Therefore we must be “born again” into the Kingdom of God. We must become God’s child and grow into walking His way. It means letting go of self and taking up a life that is completely surrendered to living life God’s way.
The great part of this is that once we decide this, God sends help. We are empowered to live the life God intended for us by the Holy Spirit living within us. You will learn to hear Him. You will find the strength to obey. We are to study to show ourselves approved unto God’s way. Find a church which will teach and encourage you in your walk with the Lord. I pray you will find a mentor that will help you. I pray that God will show you where to start. God bless you

Upvote 0