• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

How can I find my God given career?

Discussion in 'Requests for Christian Advice' started by John55107, Jul 29, 2021.

1. John55107

John55107 New Member

+15
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I’m starting school next month, how can I my God given career? I’m pretty depressed and discouraged. I don’t know how to seek the Holy Spirit. I’m lost. I’m just taking a math class for the fall.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Unqualified

Unqualified Well-Known Member Supporter

+338
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Do you like math look in that area. Take classes you are interested in and might want to pursue a course of study. Look at job listings to see what is available now. But it might change- look at business journal and magazines of your interesting fields. Look at trends in business or wherever. Space, agriculture science, manufacturing, services. We need a dry cleaner up here. Data science, pastors needed, stretch out your brain into the future.

3. com7fy8

com7fy8 Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,204
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Pray . . . trust God >

"casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

4. St_Worm2

St_Worm2 Simul Justus et Peccator Supporter

+42,896
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    Hello @John55107, here are a couple of resources that may prove to be useful to you in finding God's will. God's Will and Your Vocation is part of a 5-part teaching series that is free to listen to online right now (just FYI).

God bless you!

--David
    p.s. - here's part of what the Bible has to say about how to find God's will for your life. It's a wonderful command with a wonderful promise attached to it, the key to which, to obeying the command half of the verse, that is, is found in always chasing after the Lord, ~never~ after the things that we think that we want from Him :)

Psalm 37
    4 Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  5. Pop D.

Pop D. Member

+220
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    To paraphrase something profound I once heard from a pastor, "Unless you're very lucky, your job and your calling will probably be two different things." Just something to keep in mind.

6. MikeinSeattle

MikeinSeattle Looking for believers to pray with. Message me.

+96
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Do you know what your mbti type is? Take 3 or 4 online tests for it and read the descriptions of each one you get till you figure out which one you are. Then let me know and I will give you a few careers you should be naturally suited for.

7. carolina16

carolina16 Jesus Christ is the Lord

+57
    Argentina
    Christian Seeker
    Private
    God wants you to take care of the school, it is mandatory.
    honor with nice notes, work with the Holy Spirit.
    Tell to the Holy Spirit this:
    your presence is everything to me
    holy spirit see
    invade this place
    There is no one like you
    I love you, I adore you
    I want to receive your love in me
    your voice is water in the desert
    I want to get closer, correspondent of your love
    speak to my life please.
    God wants you to study, is obligatory.

8. Jeffwhosoever

Jeffwhosoever Faithful Servant & Seminary Student Staff Member Assistant Chaplain Angels Team Supporter

+2,821
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
  9. lastofall

lastofall Active Member

+183
    Christian
    Married
    You should not be deceived into thinking such an thing exists: there is no such thing as "God given" career: we should never at any time suppose that gain is godliness, but rather be content with such things as we have: selfishness is sin, and we ought never to think that the Lord Jesus Christ is the teacher of selfishness; Nay rather He is the teacher of unselfishness only and exclusively.

10. tturt

tturt Senior Veteran Supporter

+5,634
    Non-Denom
    Married
    John55107 glad you want direction from Him. What are your interests? Pray and asks for His guidance as you consider the details of a particular field. Check - do you have His peace when you research that area? .

"He leads the humble in what is right, and the humble He teaches His way." Psa 25 :9
    "In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Pro 3:6
    "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27

11. bèlla

bèlla ❤️ Supporter

+14,539
    United States
    Non-Denom
    In Relationship
    I’m happy to share what I’ve done to discern the same for myself and my daughter. In both instances the Lord was involved from start to finish and it wasn’t revealed overnight.

We were given a series of steps. Topics He wanted us to focus on. Practices to begin. And changes we needed to make. Each directive was preparing us for our purpose. We spent a lot of time in prayer.

Obedience is a must. Somethings won’t make sense at first. You see their wisdom in hindsight. In both cases we had a natural affinity for the subject and gifting too. I saw evidence in my childhood. Tell-tale signs of passion and interest.

Practically speaking, the first thing you should consider is whether you’re serving the church or the marketplace.

What are/were your best subjects in school?
    What did you do in your free time as a child and adult?
    What held your interest most during that period?
    What do you enjoy reading?
    Do you have volunteer experience? If so, what?

If you could do anything you wanted for a living, what would you choose?

~bella

12. SeventhFisherofMen

SeventhFisherofMen Friend of Doves Supporter

+376
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    @John55107 Hey man I totally understand your situation, when I was in college I went for a degree that I thought I wanted: Engineering, but the math was still too tough. I did love math tho and thought about police work then accounting. I was all over the place. I got in debt, got an associates in accounting, did booking keeping for almost two years but didnt like my boss and hated how she treated me. One day I was walking and talking to God and asked "is this going to be my life? Constantly doing what I don't want to for a boss I dont like?" Within a month my boss informed me they were going to cut my hours in half and do the same amount of work. I immediately went home and did a job search and found a job in mental health housing that was so awesome I truly believed it was from God. It is still my job over three years later I love it and I had prayed with a friend to get this job and Jesus answered.

You might be thinking "ok cool school and job was chaotic for you but God provided a job, what about me?" And to that I say it's trial and error, but no matter what job you search and get Jesus will be with you and you will find what God has for you. My mom has job hopped for a long time thinking the grass is greener on the other side, but when she's found green grass there were always weeds in the grass that made her not like her job. There will always be some weeds but don't focus on that. You will graduate school someday or at least get a job just be happy with where you are God places people in authority and has placed you where you are in your part of the journey.

Looking back I love all the jobs I've had even in the difficult times. You will find God's calling. Do a job search and apply, who knows maybe you'll move up in that job. Daniel was given his position in Babylon by God, same with Joseph in Egypt, they both had their trials but God brought them to their best positions career wise.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021