Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I received a call through a dream to evangelize as a missionary. I want to learn from experienced folks on here, where do I start from?

Start by volunteering at your church.
read apologetic blogs and theological books, take what ever you are currently reading in to work and leave on your desk, when not reading it. This will generate questions and conversations.

Talk to people about what they believe and why. e sure to be able to answer this question yourself.

This is what missionaries do.

Upvote 0

Delanie

Aug 29, 2014
✟9,777.00
Faith
Christian
Great advice hear already, I'd agree w/ Tolworth John it's often best to start at your local church, volunteer, talk to people who've done missions or if none, just get a sense of outreach. There are certain communication, organization and administrative skills that come with the efforts, but as with anything else involving a new skill, you'll get it with practice, and if you get a chance, it can't hurt to apprentice with a ministry leader or group that's already in the process of missions!

I'd add that for missions depending on where you're going, language training can be helpful, it's one of those careers where it makes a concrete difference. For us in Europe, big languages like French and German, or Spanish and Italian or obviously a big help. But for our Dutch and Belgian ministries for ex. we learned Dutch, groups in Sweden learn Swedish and the ones in Irish, learn Gaelic. It's important since you do have to talk heart to heart to people and ministry works best in their own tongues, but it's not as hard as many Americans often think, when you're motivated and surrounded by people speaking with language, and fueled by the love of God, it'll simply come to you. The language will feel like a natural vehicle for you to reach out and reach people at a deep level, so it'll feel almost effortless to pick it up. And Bibles and hymnals tend to be available in a vast range of languages, including in Arabic, Turkish and Kurdish which have helped to convert millions of recent refugees in Lebanon, Turkey and Europe, so that helps too.

• Informative
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I received a call through a dream to evangelize as a missionary. I want to learn from experienced folks on here, where do I start from?

Hi, just tried to put something together hope it will help. You expand and build on.

Attachments

• Mission work.pdf
    25.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Useful
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Joined2krist,

I underwent a missionary preparation course to discern if the Lord was leading me to that path. It was really beneficial. We received monthly instruction and interacted with current and retired missionaries. Including those who served in the US, overseas and in closed countries.

Some churches offer similar programs. They’re useful for discernment and obtaining information about the mission field. Some congregations are sending churches. They subsidize expenses for their missionaries. This is important. While most are required to raise support, its helpful to have the church in your corner.

Many missionaries work with organizations. They’re trained and allowed to leave when they’ve reached a specific financial threshold. This requires a lot of soul searching. Many assume they’re capable of relying on the Lord for provision when they’ve never had to do so on that level.

It is helpful to have discretionary resources and a way of generating income outside of donations. When challenges arise many experience sharp reductions in their finances. I’ve read my share of written pleas for help (I’ve supported missionaries in the past).

Singles have a hard time on the mission field. It can be lonely and most acknowledge dating is discouraged. Many return home for this reason.

I recommend several things:
  • Confirm your calling. You need a loyal prayer network and if you don’t have one start building it. You’ll encounter untold warfare if this is your path.
  • Do some soul searching. Can you handle long periods of aloneness? Are you comfortable putting aside marital prospects while serving? Be brutally honest.
  • How will you support yourself? The unexpected happens. Blogging is a possibility if you’re in an area where access or safety isn’t a concern.
Relying on others for your livelihood can be very stressful. I don’t recommend it without a clear word from the Lord and confirmation.

Research the churches in your area. Larger congregations usually have short-term opportunities and sponsor missionaries. They may offer instruction too. Prayer and fasting are necessary. I did it 1-3 times per week for several years.

Needless to say, serving where you are is a start. Is the issue on your heart a problem in the US? Getting plugged in at the ground level can be instrumental down the road.

Don’t be disheartened if this isn’t your role in the body. I contemplated missions and the nunnery! I attended a monastic weekend and I’m not Catholic. But I didn’t rule it out nonetheless. Not my will but Thine be done was my aim. :)

I would post a prayer request and ask others to pray on your behalf for clarification of your calling. May the Lord order your steps and direct you to your rightful place within the kingdom.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

• Useful
Upvote 0

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Joined2krist,

I underwent a missionary preparation course to discern if the Lord was leading me to that path. It was really beneficial. We received monthly instruction and interacted with current and retired missionaries. Including those who served in the US, overseas and in closed countries.

Some churches offer similar programs. They’re useful for discernment and obtaining information about the mission field. Some congregations are sending churches. They subsidize expenses for their missionaries. This is important. While most are required to raise support, its helpful to have the church in your corner.

Many missionaries work with organizations. They’re trained and allowed to leave when they’ve reached a specific financial threshold. This requires a lot of soul searching. Many assume they’re capable of relying on the Lord for provision when they’ve never had to do so on that level.

It is helpful to have discretionary resources and a way of generating income outside of donations. When challenges arise many experience sharp reductions in their finances. I’ve read my share of written pleas for help (I’ve supported missionaries in the past).

Singles have a hard time on the mission field. It can be lonely and most acknowledge dating is discouraged. Many return home for this reason.

• Confirm your calling. You need a loyal prayer network and if you don’t have one start building it. You’ll encounter untold warfare if this is your path.
  • Do some soul searching. Can you handle long periods of aloneness? Are you comfortable putting aside marital prospects while serving? Be brutally honest.
  • How will you support yourself? The unexpected happens. Blogging is a possibility if you’re in an area where access or safety isn’t a concern.
Relying on others for your livelihood can be very stressful. I don’t recommend it without a clear word from the Lord and confirmation.

Research the churches in your area. Larger congregations usually have short-term opportunities and sponsor missionaries. They may offer instruction too. Prayer and fasting are necessary. I did it 1-3 times per week for several years.

Needless to say, serving where you are is a start. Is the issue on your heart a problem in the US? Getting plugged in at the ground level can be instrumental down the road.

Don’t be disheartened if this isn’t your role in the body. I contemplated missions and the nunnery! I attended a monastic weekend and I’m not Catholic. But I didn’t rule it out nonetheless. Not my will but Thine be done was my aim. :)

I would post a prayer request and ask others to pray on your behalf for clarification of your calling. May the Lord order your steps and direct you to your rightful place within the kingdom.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella
Hi, I can't make out from your post if you have actually done missionary work or just the training necessary. If you have, I'm curious where in the world.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi, I can't make out from your post if you have actually done missionary work or just the training necessary. If you have, I'm curious where in the world.

ChristServant,

I attended a two-year training program to discern if I was called to the mission field. It was required by the church as an initial step in the process. I provided financial support to a missionary serving in France, donated to the missions fund, and participated in a monthly prayer group.

My apologies if I was unclear in my response.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟226,465.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I received a call through a dream to evangelize as a missionary.
I see this thread was revived after more than a year and a half. I guess some good questions after all this time would be, do you still feel the call to evangelize as a missionary? Is it still there, or has it since passed?

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,048.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Joined2krist,

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Thank you, very thoughtful of you to request prayers for me. God bless you

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Joined2krist

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,048.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Ooops I thought this was meant for me

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joined2krist

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,048.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I see this thread was revived after more than a year and a half. I guess some good questions after all this time would be, do you still feel the call to evangelize as a missionary? Is it still there, or has it since passed?

It's not as intense as it was back then but I'm still open for God to use me as He pleases.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums