✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone,

Just to give you some background information. I am currently an officer and a helicopter pilot in the U.S. Marine Corps with a bachelors degree in Aeronautical Science. I have decided that once my obligations in the Marine Corps have been fulfilled in 2019 I would like to become a chaplain in the Navy. I have already did some research about the requirements to be a military chaplain. I know I need to get a M.DIV with at least 72 credit hours and I need to be ecclesiastically certified in my faith. I very much prefer physically attending seminary however because of my military obligations it is difficult so I am afraid that online education is the most practical way to go. I am Non-Denominational and looking at Regent University and Liberty University as possible options. I may be stationed in southern California in the near future so I have been looking at Westminster Seminary in California also.
My question is for the chaplains are:

If you are or have served as a military chaplain, what path did you take to get there? How did you do it?

Which university did you attend and how did you become ordained?

What advice would you have to give to help me on my journey?

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
one of the best resources would be your own chaplains on the base where you're stationed. they have the practical information and experience that can be really
valuable when making such a decision.
both Regent and Liberty Universities are excellent (i personally know grads from both) and i believe that both offer distance learning.
prayers going up for your intentions!:amen::prayer:

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
one of the best resources would be your own chaplains on the base where you're stationed. they have the practical information and experience that can be really
valuable when making such a decision.
both Regent and Liberty Universities are excellent (i personally know grads from both) and i believe that both offer distance learning.
prayers going up for your intentions!:amen:[emoji14]rayer:
Thank you.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's my perspective, and I hope I am mistaken, that Chaplains in the US military are prohibited from so much and obligated to so much ecuminically as to negate their calling as Christians. Is that right?
Yes and no. I am assuming that the Christian calling you are talking about is "the great commission". Military chaplains have specific roles in the military.

They are to be an advisor to the commander on things ethical and moral and brief him on the morale of the unit.

They provide religious services to service members who desire them.

They are responsible to ensure a service member's religious freedoms are protected.

So as a military chaplain, I would be a resource to service members who would desire the service. Meaning I cannot be evangelistic. If a service member wants to talk about the gospel it is my responsibility to assist but I cannot go around telling service members to choose Christianity over their own beliefs or lack of belief.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you have to provide religious services to Buddhists, Muslims, shamans, whatever??
If you are referring to providing muslim, Buddhist, shaman services....no. However, if a Muslim, Buddhist, Jew, or atheist wants to attend a Christian service....I will absolutely provide that to them but I am not forced to do anything. The UCMJ has specific regulations that protect chaplains from being forced to do anything that goes against their beliefs. So I cannot be forced to marry a gay couple for example.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do talk with a Chaplain on your base. That is a great place to start. The schools (online and resident) are good ones. I agree that residence schools has pluses but online is a real option. As to ordination. If you are non-denominational the place to start would be the leadership of your church.

I was ordained by a non-denominational church. Each has it's own process or ordination, but usually getting your schooling first is good.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

Steve

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do talk with a Chaplain on your base. That is a great place to start. The schools (online and resident) are good ones. I agree that residence schools has pluses but online is a real option. As to ordination. If you are non-denominational the place to start would be the leadership of your church.

I was ordained by a non-denominational church. Each has it's own process or ordination, but usually getting your schooling first is good.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

Steve
Thanks steve.

Reactions: drstevej
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jan 6, 2016
USA
✟7,650.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Jason,
Saw your post and want to give you a few pointers (Hope you see them). I am currently a Navy Chaplain candidate(former Marine SGT) and graduate of Liberty with an MDiv. You could start working on your Seminary work online, but you are going to want 2/3 of your work in resident to meet new requirements. It is a big switch in professions from flying to being a ordained minister. They may want 2 years of full time ministry to demonstrate experience (wedding, funerals, baptism, preaching, ect.). You need to be prepared and will have to spend at least 3-4 years out of active duty to retool and prepare yourself for ministry.

With all that said, It is great serving God and Country. I am loving it and can not wait to see how God will work.
Stay Frosty,
Mustang4Christ

Upvote 0

ShoshanaUK

Shepherdess
Jul 11, 2008
Cornwall
Visit site
✟8,008.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I am also interested in this. I'm in the UK. There seem to be lots of options - hospitals, schools/colleges/university and military. Where is a good place to find out more about chaplaincy? Is it necessary to be ordained, or is a Theology degree sufficient?

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am also interested in this. I'm in the UK. There seem to be lots of options - hospitals, schools/colleges/university and military. Where is a good place to find out more about chaplaincy? Is it necessary to be ordained, or is a Theology degree sufficient?
I am not sure what the requirements are in the UK. All I know is that in order to be a chaplain in the US military you need a m.div and an ecclesiastical endorsement, aka ordained.

Reactions: ShoshanaUK
Upvote 0