How can God expect us to have unwavering faith? And to Pray and seek Him out when we need help?

LilyB27

Sep 11, 2018
Marietta
✟16,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This year has been a pretty tough one for me. I’ve experienced a lot of sadness and setbacks, yet I have continuously looked to God for His help. Last night was the first time that I finally feel “broken” and I don’t know what to do. I normally look to God for comfort, praying without ceasing for him to help me with whatever situation I’m in, continuously praying, having faith, and thinking positively while waiting for God’s help. Yet every time I do, I’m yet again disappointed. I understand that when it comes to asking God and prayer, His answer is either yes, no, or yes but wait, all in accordance with His will. I’ve also read that we have to have unwavering faith in order for our prayers to be answered, or have to truly in order to receive. But how can we continuously have unwavering faith, and truly believing when more often than not (at least in my experience), God’s answer is no? It’s truly demoralizing and disheartening, and it makes me fear truly believing and having faith again only to be crushed and go through the pain, tears, and physical pain of disappointed again, and again. Why should we even seek God for help, if things will only go according to His will? Shouldn’t we just it and wait for His guidance rather than having hope and believing and having faith and asking Him for help? Why spend, weeks, months, or even years praying for help when it just brings pain? Wouldn’t it be easier to just never ask, never have hope to end up just being disappointed ?

I’m sorry if this sounds jaded. I’m just in a really bad place right now and I truly just do not understand. Thank you

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, Lily :) God bless you :) and welcome to Christian Forums :)

I, of course, do not know all about what you are going through.

But in general > Jesus says to first seek His kingdom and God will add everything He has for us > Matthew 6:33.

We always will have people to love.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Our faith doesn't move God, our faith moves us to be in line with Him.
When you delight yourself in Him, He will give you new desires. Psalms 37:4-5
God has plans and thoughts for you, not of evil, but to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

So keep praying and having faith in God, for these present troubles are working for you an eternal weight of glory.
2 Corinthians 4:14-18

Great verses for study would be Romans 5:1-5

Upvote 0

John Bowen

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God is unconditional love so there is never a condition where you aren't loved and if we truly know that what is there really to be unhappy about . Jesus Christ is our personal teacher if you want the abundant life , of joy study his teachings. " Seek first the kingdom of God and ALL THINGS will be added unto you " and where is that kingdom within you .So you might have to look at yourself the beam in your eye our psychology our beliefs that make us think discouragingly . Jesus is always with us ask him in your heart to guide you whats just the first step then take it .Multiple what has been given to you as he said in the parable of the talents and more will be given . I know life is hard I tried to it " my way " for years and gave up and decided to follow Jesus way a gradual path not overnight success , but it is really works.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I’ve also read that we have to have unwavering faith in order for our prayers to be answered,

That is something I've never found in the bible.
If anything it is the opposite.
Many people admitted to Jesus that they believed, but that there faith was small and weak.

For us the spirit living in us, knows how fraile our faith is.
We aren't required to have an amount of faith but just to have faith.

Trusting God when life is tough is hard. But that is all we have to do, so hang on in there, take each day as it comes.

• Winner
Reactions: Doug Melven
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Why should we even seek God for help, if things will only go according to His will?
Some of God's will is sovereign, and is going to happen no matter what. But some of it is conditional, and we have our part to play. This is where faith and faithfulness come in, and obedience.

As far as unwavering faith, some things can only be accomplished over time. For instance, Abraham was not perfect in faith at first. He put Sarah is grave danger in order to save his own skin twice. But God did not give up on Abraham because of that. He kept working with him, until finally Abraham was willing to sacrifice his beloved son, Isaac, without hesitation at God's command. At that point, God knew He could trust Abraham completely.

So it's necessary to be persistent, and also patient. Hebrews tells us that faith and patience inherit the promises. So keep working toward that unwavering faith, and keep trusting God no matter what. Remember the sisters in John 11, who were bitterly disappointed that Jesus let their brother die. But He had a greater blessing in store for them. Sometimes it goes down that way.

May you enjoy the peace that passes understanding (Php 4) as you traverse through this circumstance.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This year has been a pretty tough one for me. I’ve experienced a lot of sadness and setbacks, yet I have continuously looked to God for His help. Last night was the first time that I finally feel “broken” and I don’t know what to do. I normally look to God for comfort, praying without ceasing for him to help me with whatever situation I’m in, continuously praying, having faith, and thinking positively while waiting for God’s help. Yet every time I do, I’m yet again disappointed. I understand that when it comes to asking God and prayer, His answer is either yes, no, or yes but wait, all in accordance with His will. I’ve also read that we have to have unwavering faith in order for our prayers to be answered, or have to truly in order to receive. But how can we continuously have unwavering faith, and truly believing when more often than not (at least in my experience), God’s answer is no? It’s truly demoralizing and disheartening, and it makes me fear truly believing and having faith again only to be crushed and go through the pain, tears, and physical pain of disappointed again, and again. Why should we even seek God for help, if things will only go according to His will? Shouldn’t we just it and wait for His guidance rather than having hope and believing and having faith and asking Him for help? Why spend, weeks, months, or even years praying for help when it just brings pain? Wouldn’t it be easier to just never ask, never have hope to end up just being disappointed ?

I’m sorry if this sounds jaded. I’m just in a really bad place right now and I truly just do not understand. Thank you

I have been in the same situation in my life too. What you think is best for your life might not be the best afterall. Besides God needs to break you to turn you into the precious gem He wants you to be. Don't worry, God will always work things out for good for those who love Him. Just don't abandon God just because you think He is not giving you what you desire. Keep loving Him, keep obeying Him and submit yourself to His Will. In the end things will pan out for good.

The fruit of that righteousness will be peace; its effect will be quietness and confidence forever.
Isaiah 32:17

• Agree
Reactions: SvN.7
Upvote 0