Visit site
✟483,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One of the beautiful things about this forum is all the various denominations coming together discussing individual issues in a spirit of brotherly love. So this is the perfect group to brainstorm how churches can better work together to help those in need.

Of course, many churches are already working together in many ways. I’m wondering if there is something more that can be done. I’m thinking about feeding those who are hungry, resolving the homeless problem, assisting those in poverty, helping the elderly with their specific needs, and any number of other issues that could be resolved or at least mediated through a concerted effort.

There are a great many programs run by churches and other organizations designed to address many of these concerns, but it all seems so disjointed and fragmented. Would it not be possible to use today’s amazing technology to connect all of these programs together so as to be more effective? Shouldn’t churches be at the forefront of this kind of effort?

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’” Matthew 25:40 (NIV)

What are your thoughts?

Is something more needed or is everything fine the way it is?

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One of the beautiful things about this forum is all the various denominations coming together discussing individual issues in a spirit of brotherly love. So this is the perfect group to brainstorm how churches can better work together to help those in need.

Of course, many churches are already working together in many ways. I’m wondering if there is something more that can be done. I’m thinking about feeding those who are hungry, resolving the homeless problem, assisting those in poverty, helping the elderly with their specific needs, and any number of other issues that could be resolved or at least mediated through a concerted effort.

There are a great many programs run by churches and other organizations designed to address many of these concerns, but it all seems so disjointed and fragmented. Would it not be possible to use today’s amazing technology to connect all of these programs together so as to be more effective? Shouldn’t churches be at the forefront of this kind of effort?

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’” Matthew 25:40 (NIV)

What are your thoughts?

Is something more needed or is everything fine the way it is?

I think it is fine the way it is.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Here in Angola, several churches team up to fund & work with Cahoots, a coffeeshop that provides a safe place for teens to hang out & be with good people. There's a pool table, a few guitars & mandolins, couches, and I have a friend who works with the local Department of Corrections, and goes to Cahoots to work with high-risk teens, to try to get their lives on a better path.

Also, several local churches fund & assist my college's Christian Campus House, an interdenominational organization that puts on a lot of good things on campus.

I go to St. Anthony's, the Catholic church, and I know a parishioner who's part of the bell choir down the street at the United Methodist Church. St. Anthony's and the UMC work together with food pantries & other charitable works.

I think we have 2 main obstacles that keep us from working together more: 1) Laziness, and 2) Bad teachings. I picked up an informational paper for the local United Congregational Church, and it was filled with anti-Catholic remarks. Ironic, because of how much the UCC focuses on just believing in Christ, and how any interpretation of the Bible is alright, except when the Catholic interpretation shows up. As long as we have these kinds of divisions being taught, we still can work together, but it's a lot harder. A good discussion on dogmatic differences can be very beneficial; attacks on other Christians because of dogmatic differences only serves to separate the fractured body of believers even more.

And pray.

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,223,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
MOD HAT ON
241656_73a4b943f6c592cdf71a88c50d5eb4d8.jpg

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The ELCA Church I attend allowed a Roman Catholic congregation to use our church while they were building their new church building. We each had our own services in the building, but we also had regularly scheduled joint services. Our congregations have since cooperated on a number of projects involving the local food bank.

Speaking of food banks, every year during the month of January my church and other ELCA churches in our area have a "Souper Bowl." We each collect soup for the local food bank; the congregation collecting the most is declared that year's "Souper Bowl" winner. Last year my church collected almost 5,000 cans of soup. We came close but did not win, but winning isn't the important thing--collecting food for hungry people is the goal.

Upvote 0

sunshine456

Dec 21, 2012
✟11,995.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I always make the following statement in the form of a question in regards to denominations.

"How can a church stand when it's divided?" as the following passages testify...…

Mark 3:24-25 King James Version (KJV)
24 And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.
25 And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand.

So in effect how can there be denominations??

There is only one true Church that which was design by GOD the father in heaven and implemented essentially there after by JESUS CHRIST the son of GOD and the apostles which he officially elected.

If this is true then there is only one true apostlitic church having been led by the high priest JESUS CHRIST himself and was the original and now the oldest church. The rest of the so called churches are divisions which technically are "divided" offsets or sects.

Praise be to GOD the heavenly father and his son lord JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Upvote 0

sunshine456

Dec 21, 2012
✟11,995.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Additionally....

The ELCA Church I attend allowed a Roman Catholic congregation to use our church while they were building their new church building. We each had our own services in the building, but we also had regularly scheduled joint services. Our congregations have since cooperated on a number of projects involving the local food bank.

Speaking of food banks, every year during the month of January my church and other ELCA churches in our area have a "Souper Bowl." We each collect soup for the local food bank; the congregation collecting the most is declared that year's "Souper Bowl" winner. Last year my church collected almost 5,000 cans of soup. We came close but did not win, but winning isn't the important thing--collecting food for hungry people is the goal.
From Archivist

Interesting....so having worked so close together how does the congregation from the Roman CATHOLIC church view your procession? Or how do you feel about their procession??

Praise be to GOD the heavenly father and his son lord JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Additionally....

Interesting....so having worked so close together how does the congregation from the Roman CATHOLIC church view your procession? Or how do you feel about their procession??

I don’t think that matters, nor do I understand why you are shouting the word Catholic. We work together to help others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0