How can any Christian vote for pro-abortion politicians?

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Probably because “pro-abortion” isn’t a thing. One can be Christian and pro-choice or vote for pro-choice candidates, though.
Pro-Abortion is certainly a real thing and a real term. It refers to people who are in favor of abortion being legal.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟194,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pro-Abortion is certainly a real thing and a real term. It refers to people who are in favor of abortion being legal.

So there are people out there who believe abortions should be done during all pregnancies and/or required for pregnant people...? If that’s the case, I’m going to say they are a minority, like those who believe in executing women who get abortions or that blowing up abortion clinics and shooting doctors is ok.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
So there are people out there who believe abortions should be done during all pregnancies and/or required for pregnant people...? If that’s the case, I’m going to say they are a minority, like those who believe in executing women who get abortions or that blowing up abortion clinics and shooting doctors is ok.
It helps to understand definitions before you expose your own... nevermind...

Notice the key word in the definition as “availability”

Pro-Abortion -
adjective
  1. in favor of the availability of medically induced abortion as a means of ending a pregnancy.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟194,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It helps to understand definitions before you expose your own... nevermind...

Notice the key word in the definition as “availability”

Pro-Abortion -
adjective
  1. in favor of the availability of medically induced abortion as a means of ending a pregnancy.

Ok... So they’re in favor of the availability induced abortion... But for those who choose or need it.

Upvote 0

Nine of Spades

♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤
Nov 13, 2020
Texas
✟28,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Abortion isn't a choice; it's taking an innocent life. Abortion advocates like to fancy themselves as "pro-choice," but such a term is misleading. It wouldn't make sense if I were to say that stealing is wrong, but I would never interfere in other people's right to choose to steal, and therefore conclude that theft shouldn't be a crime.

Many verses in the Bible testify to the fact that there is life in the womb. One such verse is Luke 1:41: "When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit."

How can any Christian vote for politicians who support abortion? That goes against God's teaching in the Bible not to murder (Exodus 20:13).

I used to think the term “pro-choice” was simply a polite PC way of saying that someone supports abortion. However, you make a compelling argument that the term pro-choice is really a duplicitous way of rationalizing the taking of an innocent life. Indeed, abortion ought to be illegal, and any Christian who disagrees should read what the Bible teaches on this subject, taking to heart all the pro-life scripture found in God’s Word.

Upvote 0

sanddjam

Mar 2, 2011
✟8,562.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Abortion isn't a choice; it's taking an innocent life. Abortion advocates like to fancy themselves as "pro-choice," but such a term is misleading. It wouldn't make sense if I were to say that stealing is wrong, but I would never interfere in other people's right to choose to steal, and therefore conclude that theft shouldn't be a crime.

Many verses in the Bible testify to the fact that there is life in the womb. One such verse is Luke 1:41: "When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit."

How can any Christian vote for politicians who support abortion? That goes against God's teaching in the Bible not to murder (Exodus 20:13).

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,958.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Some where in the OT an unborn child is valued at two bulls and two goats or something close to that, From ancient times abortion was common to Pagan practice and is certainly evil; but there are time when a choice of the lessor evils is required.

So far in our time we are not forced to have abortions; since the Inquisitions we have not been forced to break the commandments, but it will happen again.

God gives us the government we deserve so before being upset with the government we should look at our selves; instead of being too concerned about abortion, we should ban fornication; this would also restrict the spread of diseases, like covid.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How can any Christian vote for politicians who support abortion?
Imho much depends on the decision making process for a Christian. What is their source of authority? If a Christian takes the Holy Bible as their highest source of authority then abortion is out:

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart" (Jeremiah 1:5)

Abortion is murder but it's far worse than that alone. The Lord has created that person in the womb for a purpose, abortion is murder against a person and rebellion against God's purpose and will.

If a 'Christian' takes human reason, their own feelings or the changing info from a celebrity speaker then they can probably believe or do anything. I think it all goes back to the supreme importance of preaching the gospel, too many people in churches are not born again. God Bless :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,515.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
That's a ridiculous definition. You can think something should be legal without being pro it or supporting the act itself. For instance, I strongly believe hate speech should be legal. I also think it's unacceptable behavior and would never use it myself, nor associate with anybody who does. For that matter, I'm pro-choice but also against abortions in general. Nothing would make me happier then if they were to cease, but I don't believe coercion is the way to achieve that.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

because you're voting on more than one issue. the point of government is what's best for the country not what's best for me. The larger issue is the 2 party system that bases strategies on polarized views not what's good for the country. when half of the country agrees with a position and the other half disagrees you can be sure party X will champion it, and party Y will reject it. But not just a little bit, each will either be full in or full out to ensure it captures the votes so it encourages polarization. introduce a multiparty system then you will get parties with more balanced views on issues. To think that supporting the extreme ends is good for the country is just delusional but that's the corner a 2 party system is painted into.

Upvote 0

sanddjam

Mar 2, 2011
✟8,562.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pro-life is a lot more than protecting the unborn, it also entails healthy and successful living after birth for all.

How can Christians vote against the teachings of Jesus Christ?

How can Christians protect the unborn but protect the rights of citizens to bear assault weapons to massacre these children after they are born, and allow hateful murders to hide behind the "Stand on the ground" laws?

How can Christians support police brutality of minorities and their civil rights, poor people, and suppression of their rights to vote as American citizens?

How can Christians vote for injustices and unrighteous laws against defenseless people?

Isaiah 10:11-3
Woe to those who decree unrighteous decrees, who write misfortune, which they have prescribed 2 To rob the needy of justice, and to take what is right from the poor of My people, that widows may be their prey, and that they may rob the fatherless. 3 What will you do in the day of punishment, and in the desolation which will come from afar? To whom will you flee for help? And where will you leave your glory?

Amos 5:21-24
21 “I hate, I despise your feast days, and I do not savor your sacred assemblies. 22 Though you offer Me burnt offerings and your grain offerings, I will not accept them, nor will I regard your fattened peace offerings. 23 Take away from Me the noise of your songs, for I will not hear the melody of your stringed instruments. 24 But let justice run down like water, and righteousness like a mighty stream.

How can Christians join to vote with hate groups and conspiracy (liars) theorists?
Revelation 21:8
But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

How can Christians vote for gerrymandering than claim then claim lawful victory?

How can Christians act like the Pharisees who were ready to condemn and stone to death the woman who was caught in the act of adultery but made no mention of the man who was involved?

The same scenario with abortion, where is the man who brutally raped the female, drugged her, human trafficker, pimp, pedophile, incest, college campus Greek society hazers, sexual violence against females in prisons, juvenile centers and foster homes; employers on female employees (married or not); who dump their tadpoles and sexual diseases in every available lily pond and not looking back? Men who do not think about the far-reaching consequences of their actions and leave the female to deal with the aftermath (PTSD) of those cruel situations.
The rate of congenital syphilis is at an alarming rate in our nation. Many babies die before of after delivery or born with severe complications.

How can Christians vote for politicians who boldly engage in name calling and put downs?
Matthew 5:21-24
Murder Begins in the Heart
21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire. 23 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.

What does Jesus expect from Christians?
John 13:34-35
34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples if you have love for one another.”
1 John 3:15
Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.
Matthew 22:37-40
37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”
Matthew 5:43-48
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? 48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

How can Christians vote to take away healthcare, food, Medicare, shelter, welfare from people who need them?
Matthew 25:31-46
The Son of Man Will Judge the Nations
31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry, and you gave Me food; I was thirsty, and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger, and you took Me in; 36 I was naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’ 37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’ 41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty, and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger, and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’ 44 “Then they also will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Galatians 5:19-21
19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.​

Pro-life is a lot more than protecting the unborn, it also entails healthy and successful living after birth for all.

Upvote 0

sanddjam

Mar 2, 2011
✟8,562.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pro-life is a lot more than protecting the unborn, it also entails the prevention of unwanted pregnancies, good mental and physical health, and successful living for all, before and after they are born.

True Christianity for all is deliverance for all, freedom for all; from addictions, oppression, and poverty.

John 3:16-17
16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
John 10:10
10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.
Luke 4:18-19
The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He has anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,
To proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed; 19 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.

People will make the right choices if Chrstians share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with them all.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat

How can Christians protect the unborn but protect the rights of citizens to bear assault weapons to massacre these children after they are born, and allow hateful murders to hide behind the "Stand on the ground" laws?

How can Christians support police brutality of minorities and their civil rights, poor people, and suppression of their rights to vote as American citizens?

How can Christians vote for injustices and unrighteous laws against defenseless people?

Woe to those who decree unrighteous decrees, who write misfortune, which they have prescribed 2 To rob the needy of justice, and to take what is right from the poor of My people, that widows may be their prey, and that they may rob the fatherless. 3 What will you do in the day of punishment, and in the desolation which will come from afar? To whom will you flee for help? And where will you leave your glory?

21 “I hate, I despise your feast days, and I do not savor your sacred assemblies. 22 Though you offer Me burnt offerings and your grain offerings, I will not accept them, nor will I regard your fattened peace offerings. 23 Take away from Me the noise of your songs, for I will not hear the melody of your stringed instruments. 24 But let justice run down like water, and righteousness like a mighty stream.

How can Christians join to vote with hate groups and conspiracy (liars) theorists?

But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

How can Christians vote for gerrymandering than claim then claim lawful victory?

How can Christians act like the Pharisees who were ready to condemn and stone to death the woman who was caught in the act of adultery but made no mention of the man who was involved?

The same scenario with abortion, where is the man who brutally raped the female, drugged her, human trafficker, pimp, pedophile, incest, college campus Greek society hazers, sexual violence against females in prisons, juvenile centers and foster homes; employers on female employees (married or not); who dump their tadpoles and sexual diseases in every available lily pond and not looking back? Men who do not think about the far-reaching consequences of their actions and leave the female to deal with the aftermath (PTSD) of those cruel situations.

The rate of congenital syphilis is at an alarming rate in our nation. Many babies die before of after delivery or born with severe complications.

How can Christians vote for politicians who boldly engage in name calling and put downs?

21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire. 23 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.

34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples if you have love for one another.”

Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? 48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

How can Christians vote to take away healthcare, food, Medicare, shelter, welfare from people who need them?

31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry, and you gave Me food; I was thirsty, and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger, and you took Me in; 36 I was naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’ 37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’ 41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty, and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger, and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’ 44 “Then they also will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

I mostly agree with you here and have said some of the same things at times. Where I don't agree is on the stand your ground laws.

Yes, they are looked at loosely and some atrocities have been done in their name, but I believe that defending oneself or those that they love is a basic right. It is not murder if you must shoot someone because they are in your home trying to rob you or cause physical harm to your family. That is self-defense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sanddjam

Mar 2, 2011
✟8,562.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I mostly agree with you here and have said some of the same things at times. Where I don't agree is on the stand your ground laws.

Yes, they are looked at loosely and some atrocities have been done in their name, but I believe that defending oneself or those that they love is a basic right. It is not murder if you must shoot someone because they are in your home trying to rob you or cause physical harm to your family. That is self-defense.
Absolutely. That law is a very good and is very much needed, but sadly, there are some people who would "pick a fight" to kill someone they hate just mis-represent the intended use of that law. Even some cops hide their evil intentions behind that law, and some members of the department of justice may overlook the intended use of that law also.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
because you're voting on more than one issue. the point of government is what's best for the country not what's best for me. The larger issue is the 2 party system that bases strategies on polarized views not what's good for the country. when half of the country agrees with a position and the other half disagrees you can be sure party X will champion it, and party Y will reject it. But not just a little bit, each will either be full in or full out to ensure it captures the votes so it encourages polarization. introduce a multiparty system then you will get parties with more balanced views on issues. To think that supporting the extreme ends is good for the country is just delusional but that's the corner a 2 party system is painted into.
This is why I believe in America we need to eliminate our current first-past-the-post voting method and introduce some kind of ranked voting system. First-past-the-post always produces a two-party system, which is why America has always had a two-party system (though what two parties it is, and what their platforms are has changed many times over that history). And, I think, it is self-evident why this is a bad thing.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,515.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
This is why I believe in America we need to eliminate our current first-past-the-post voting method and introduce some kind of ranked voting system. First-past-the-post always produces a two-party system, which is why America has always had a two-party system (though what two parties it is, and what their platforms are has changed many times over that history). And, I think, it is self-evident why this is a bad thing.

-CryptoLutheran
Both the UK and Canada have first-past-the-post and they have third parties.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,234.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.​

So we have to vote for pro-abortion policies to be pro-life?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Both the UK and Canada have first-past-the-post and they have third parties.
I suppose my "always" is quite wrong. I would still maintain that, in the US, first-past-the-post has been a detriment. And significant voting reform involving proportionality/ranked voting would produce better representation.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0