How can a God of love send people to hell?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If "God so loved the world." How can He possibly send people to hell? Is He a loving Father or a stern judge? Jesus helps us reconcile love and grace with hell and judgement in perhaps the most famous words in the Bible, John 3:16.

This post centers on John 3:16, hell, judgement and grace. It is a reflection on the readings for the Fourth Sunday of Lent (year B)- Second Chronicles 36:14-17, 19-2; Psalms 137: 1-2, 3, 4-5, 6; Ephesians 2:4-10; John 3:14-21.

Continued below.
How Can a God of Love Send People to Hell?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
EVERYONE was headed for destruction, opposed to YHVH, as HIS ENEMY.

HE INTERVENED , through HIS PLAN, Sovereignly (no other reason).

There is no reason for YHVH to save anyone, nor for JESUS to die for them.

Yet He Did Die, willingly and joyfully.

So everyone who goes to destruction, goes because they reject JESUS.

HE provided ONE WAY, only ONE WAY, to be SAVED, for no reason at all - people have NOTHING to offer HIM as a reason HE ought to save them.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
EVERYONE was headed for destruction, opposed to YHVH, as HIS ENEMY.

HE INTERVENED , through HIS PLAN, Sovereignly (no other reason).

There is no reason for YHVH to save anyone, nor for JESUS to die for them.

Yet He Did Die, willingly and joyfully.

So everyone who goes to destruction, goes because they reject JESUS.

HE provided ONE WAY, only ONE WAY, to be SAVED, for no reason at all - people have NOTHING to offer HIM as a reason HE ought to save them.
You really should read the content posted before commenting.

How the Last Judgement works

Eternal judgement is exactly the same. No one is in hell except those who chose it. "The judgement is this-the light came into the world, but men loved the darkness instead of the light." John 3:19

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why would I do that? It is a Lenten thread for Catholics.
I wish you had posted this where it can truly be discussed (in "Controversial Theology").

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I wish you had posted this where it can truly be discussed (in "Controversial Theology").

Then make a thread in controversial theology.

Or petition the mods to get rid of congregational forums, so that people are forced to post where you would prefer.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why would I do that? It is a Lenten thread for Catholics.
Okay. I was just suggesting a more complete way to discuss. No problem if that's not what you wish to do.

I can suggest a Catholic's response to that. Fr Richard Rohr has a series called "Hell No" that you may find interesting. Hell, No! ~ CD

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Richard Rohr is a very controversial figure in the Church. He has gone way off the beaten path. I don't listen to a word the man says.
Okay. I was just suggesting a more complete way to discuss. No problem if that's not what you wish to do.

I can suggest a Catholic's response to that. Fr Richard Rohr has a series called "Hell No" that you may find interesting. Hell, No! ~ CD

• Agree
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anyway...

Living by God's Mercy

But God can't give us his mercy of we don't ask for it. And if we insist on "pulling our own weight," and getting from God what's coming to us, he'll do as we say. Jesus offers us a share in what He deserves from our Heavenly Father. I think I'd opt for that rather than what I deserve.

Lent is a time to remember we live by the mercy of God, and to renew our determination that the Grace that he has so generously lavished upon us will not be received in vain.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

if you make a thread in controversial theology please link it here :)

Upvote 0

Not me

Righteousness is right and not me.
Feb 26, 2018
California
✟262,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because God is good.

There are only two possibility for a sentient creature. (Every living being must have a nature). They can have a good nature or a bad nature. God has given man the ability to choose which nature he wants. Whichever he chooses, will be his for all eternity. Each one has its own place. One righteousness peace and joy, the other, the opposite.

in Christ, Not me

Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If "God so loved the world." How can He possibly send people to hell? Is He a loving Father or a stern judge? Jesus helps us reconcile love and grace with hell and judgement in perhaps the most famous words in the Bible, John 3:16.

This post centers on John 3:16, hell, judgement and grace. It is a reflection on the readings for the Fourth Sunday of Lent (year B)- Second Chronicles 36:14-17, 19-2; Psalms 137: 1-2, 3, 4-5, 6; Ephesians 2:4-10; John 3:14-21.

Continued below.
How Can a God of Love Send People to Hell?

God sends no one to hell, they send themselves, which I pray that I am not a part of. Lord have Mercy on me and those here at Christianforums.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,830.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Why is that necessary? Why can't Catholics discuss amongst ourselves?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why is that necessary? Why can't Catholics discuss amongst ourselves?
You are certainly welcome to (and, as far as I know, no one is stopping you from doing just that). I only responded--and I guess, polluted the conversation--to respond to this question.

Carry on....

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You are certainly welcome to (and, as far as I know, no one is stopping you from doing just that). I only responded--and I guess, polluted the conversation--to respond to this question.

Carry on....

if you make a thread on this topic in a debate forum, please link it here :)

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A priest gave a homily one time telling how Moses gave us hell and damnation and now Jesus brings us love and forgiveness. I talked to the priest and told him he had it backwards. Moses gave us the Great Commandments to love God with all your heart, strength, mind and soul, and your neighbor as yourself. It is Jesus who brought us the concept of hell and eternal punishment. The world, including many leaders in our Church, have really taken Jesus and made a false jesus, out of Him. Jesus is not this 'unconditional love' 'universal salvation', God, that many priests and Catholic leaders make Him out to be. Jesus pours it on hard with His warnings of eternal damnation to the unrepentant wicked, because Jesus loves us and does not want us to go to hell.

Matthew 13:36
Then, dismissing the crowds, he went into the house. His disciples approached him and said, "Explain to us the parable of the weeds in the field." He said in reply, "He who sows good seed is the Son of Man, the field is the world, the good seed the children of the kingdom. The weeds are the children of the evil one, and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels. Just as weeds are collected and burned (up) with fire, so will it be at the end of the age. The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will collect out of his kingdom all who cause others to sin and all evildoers. They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth. Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Whoever has ears ought to hear."

Revelation 2:22
"I mean to cast her down on a bed of pain; her companions in sin I will plunge into intense suffering unless they repent of their sins with her, and her children I will put to death. Thus shall all the churches come to know that I am the searcher of hearts and minds, and that I will give each of you what your conduct deserves."

NAB MAT 25:41
Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.' Then they will answer and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?' He will answer them, 'Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.' And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Luke 13:23

Someone asked him, "Lord, will only a few people be saved?" He answered them, "Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I tell you, will attempt to enter but will not be strong enough. After the master of the house has arisen and locked the door, then will you stand outside knocking and saying, 'Lord, open the door for us.' He will say to you in reply, 'I do not know where you are from.' And you will say, 'We ate and drank in your company and you taught in our streets.' Then he will say to you, 'I do not know where (you) are from. Depart from me, all you evildoers!' And there will be wailing and grinding of teeth when you see Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God and you yourselves cast out.

Luke 16:19 The Rich Man and Lazarus
"There was a rich man who dressed in purple garments and fine linen and dined sumptuously each day. And lying at his door was a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who would gladly have eaten his fill of the scraps that fell from the rich man's table. Dogs even used to come and lick his sores. When the poor man died, he was carried away by angels to the bosom of Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried, and from the netherworld, where he was in torment, he raised his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side. And he cried out, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me. Send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am suffering torment in these flames.' Abraham replied, 'My child, remember that you received what was good during your lifetime while Lazarus likewise received what was bad; but now he is comforted here, whereas you are tormented. Moreover, between us and you a great chasm is established to prevent anyone from crossing who might wish to go from our side to yours or from your side to ours.' He said, 'Then I beg you, father, send him to my father's house, for I have five brothers, so that he may warn them, lest they too come to this place of torment.' But Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the prophets. Let them listen to them.' He said, 'Oh no, father Abraham, but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.' Then Abraham said, 'If they will not listen to Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded if someone should rise from the dead.'"

John 5:27
"The Father has given over to him power to pass judgment because he is Son of Man; no need for you to be surprised at this, for an hour is coming in which all those in their tombs shall hear his voice and come forth. Those who have done right shall rise to live; the evildoers shall rise to be damned."

Revelation 22:12
"Remember, I am coming soon! I bring with me the reward that will be given to each man as his conduct deserves. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End! Happy are they who wash their robes so as to have free access to the tree of life and enter the city through its gates Outside are the dogs and sorcerers, the fornicators and murderers, the idol-worshipers and all who love falsehood."

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Jerusalem, for example, was razed to the ground by the Babylonians. The pride and joy of Israel, Solomon’s temple, was reduced to a heap of rubble, civilians as well as soldiers put to the sword, and a few lucky ones led into exile.

Did God bring this hellish fate upon them? Not in the least."
quoted from the article
What is this guy talking about! God Most certainly did bring about the war and Babylonian conquest of Jerusalem. Because of Judah's great sins against God, God wrought out His Wrath out upon Judah through the Babylonians conquering them in war and leading them into captivity and exile. The author of this article is just another guy trying to make God out to be a non-punishing, 'unconditional love' God. The author is distorting what actually happened and decieving you.

Ezra 5:12
But because our fathers provoked the wrath of the God of heaven, he delivered them into the power of the Chaldean, Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, who destroyed this house and led the people captive to Babylon.

Jeremiah 21:2
Inquire for us of the LORD, because Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, is attacking us.
Perhaps the LORD will deal with us according to all his wonderful works, so that he will withdraw from us. But Jeremiah answered them: This is what you shall report to Zedekiah: Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel: I will turn back in your hands the weapons with which you intend to fight the king of Babylon and the Chaldeans who besiege you outside the walls. These weapons I will pile up in the midst of this city, and I myself will fight against you with outstretched hand and mighty arm, in anger, and wrath, and great rage! I will strike the inhabitants of this city, both man and beast; they shall die in a great pestilence. After that, says the LORD, I will hand over Zedekiah, king of Judah, and his ministers and the people in this city who survive pestilence, sword, and famine, into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, into the hands of their enemies and those who seek their lives. He shall strike them with the edge of the sword, without quarter, without pity or mercy. And to this people you shall say: Thus says the LORD: See, I am giving you a choice between life and death. Whoever remains in this city shall die by the sword or famine or pestilence. But whoever leaves and surrenders to the besieging Chaldeans shall live and have his life as booty. For I have turned against this city, for its woe and not for its good, says the LORD. It shall be given into the power of the king of Babylon who shall burn it with fire.

To the royal house of Judah:Hear the word of the LORD, O house of David! Thus says the LORD: Each morning dispense justice, rescue the oppressed from the hand of the oppressor, Lest my fury break out like fire which burns without being quenched, because of the evil of your deeds. Beware! I am against you, Valley-site, Rock of the Plain, says the LORD. You who say, “Who will attack us, who can penetrate our retreats?” I will punish you, says the LORD, as your deeds deserve! I will kindle a fire in its forest that shall devour all its surroundings.

Jeremiah 20:4
For thus says the LORD: Indeed, I will deliver you to terror, you and all your friends. Your own eyes shall see them fall by the sword of their enemies. All Judah I will deliver to the king of Babylon, who shall take them captive to Babylon or slay them with the sword. All the wealth of this city, all it has toiled for and holds dear, all the treasures of the kings of Judah, I will give as plunder into the hands of their foes, who shall seize it and carry it away to Babylon.

Daniel 9:4
I prayed to the LORD, my God, and confessed, “Ah, Lord, great and awesome God, you who keep your merciful covenant toward those who love you and observe your commandments! We have sinned, been wicked and done evil; we have rebelled and departed from your commandments and your laws. We have not obeyed your servants the prophets, who spoke in your name to our kings, our princes, our fathers, and all the people of the land. Justice, O Lord, is on your side; we are shamefaced even to this day: the men of Judah, the residents of Jerusalem, and all Israel, near and far, in all the countries to which you have scattered them because of their treachery toward you. O LORD, we are shamefaced, like our kings, our princes, and our fathers, for having sinned against you.But yours, O Lord, our God, are compassion and forgiveness! Yet we rebelled against you and paid no heed to your command, O LORD, our God, to live by the law you gave us through your servants the prophets. Because all Israel transgressed your law and went astray, not heeding your voice, the sworn malediction, recorded in the law of Moses, the servant of God, was poured out over us for our sins. You carried out the threats you spoke against us and against those who governed us, by bringing upon us in Jerusalem the greatest calamity that has ever occurred under heaven. As it is written in the law of Moses, this calamity came full upon us. As we did not appease the LORD, our God, by turning back from our wickedness and recognizing his constancy, so the LORD kept watch over the calamity and brought it upon us. You, O LORD, our God, are just in all that you have done, for we did not listen to your voice.

Upvote 0