How can a Christian be in favor of abortion?

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I want to know how a Christian can interpret the Bible in a way that permits abortions. I'm not going to post any arguments against it here; I just want to know how abortion is compatible with Christianity, as some Christians clearly think it is.

• Agree
Reactions: Mark51

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
It's not that Christians are in favor of abortion per se, but that many Christians believe that keeping the procedure safe and legal not only helps to reduce abortions, but saves more lives in general and therefore could be considered as a broader pro-life position as both quantity *and* quality of life is considered. It's difficult to consider "make all abortions illegal" a pro-life position when a greater number of people would be dying as a result of it, and life for many people who are already born is miserable and impoverished.

Christians are going to need to decide if their goal is simply to just punish people who get abortions or if they really want to actually reduce them. If the goal is the latter, then simply making them illegal is not the answer to this problem.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just want to know how abortion is compatible with Christianity, as some Christians clearly think it is.

I'm completely against abortion but...

One argument that's made is there is no harm to the child because they return home to be with the Lord.

In addition, some say, the situation that some of these babies would be born into is horrific and they are better off not being born.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think the Bible says anything at all about abortion, one way or the other.
I suppose you think it does not say anything about the trinity also?
ex21:
22 If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.

23 And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,

24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,

25 Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's a mistake to assume that Christians who are pro-choice believe that abortion is morally permissible. Pregnancy is costly, and can require significant personal sacrifice of a woman, both physical and emotional (and financial). From a Christian perspective, it's in that very sacrifice that holiness can be found, but I don't see how governmental coercion does anything but detract from that.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think the Bible says anything at all about abortion, one way or the other.
Personally, I believe it is because the word "abortion" is not written in what we call The Bible, the canonized Scripture. But there is a New Testament book that was on 6 lists of books being considered to include in the canon called The Epistle of Barnabas. There is speculation that it wasn't included because those at the time did not believe it was by the apostle, Paul's companion, but by a man of the same name out of Alexandria, even though they knew it had been and was presently being read in all the churches. I believe it is canonical and absolutely love the way it closes up holes in our Bible, supplying the missing pieces.

Barnabas 19:5
Thou shalt not doubt whether a thing shall be or not be. Thou shalt
not take the name of the Lord in vain.
Thou shalt love thy
neighbor more than thine own soul. Thou shalt not murder a child by
abortion, nor again shalt thou kill it when it is born
. Thou shalt
not withhold thy hand from thy son or daughter, but from their youth
thou shalt teach them the fear of God.

Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's a mistake to assume that Christians who are pro-choice believe that abortion is morally permissible. Pregnancy is costly, and can require significant personal sacrifice of a woman, both physical and emotional (and financial). From a Christian perspective, it's in that very sacrifice that holiness can be found, but I don't see how governmental coercion does anything but detract from that.
Nope.....murder is the issue, not cost, sacrifice, or anything else cleanses the land;
num35:
30 Whoso killeth any person, the murderer shall be put to death by the mouth of witnesses: but one witness shall not testify against any person to cause him to die.

31 Moreover ye shall take no satisfaction for the life of a murderer, which is guilty of death: but he shall be surely put to death.

32 And ye shall take no satisfaction for him that is fled to the city of his refuge, that he should come again to dwell in the land, until the death of the priest.

33 So ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: for blood it defileth the land: and the land cannot be cleansed of the blood that is shed therein, but by the blood of him that shed it.

34 Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit, wherein I dwell: for I the Lord dwell among the children of Israel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm completely against abortion but...

One argument that's made is there is no harm to the child because they return home to be with the Lord.

In addition, the situation that some of these babies would be born into is horrific and they are better off not being born.
That's all your opinion, and if you're truly concerned about the conditions one will be born into, are you OK with killing those who already live in those conditions?

You are not God. He who lives by the sword will die by it, even if that sword is today an abortionist's snippers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I don't want to speak for other people, but I'm not against it because I don't believe it's murder. Unfortunately giving my reasons behind it will probably run against the site rules.

Would you change your mind if this verse was in your Bible?

"Thou shalt not murder a child by abortion, nor again shalt thou kill it when it is born.?

See post #9

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You can suppose as many irrelevant things as you like.
ex21:
22 If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.

Yes, I'm familiar with the passage. I'm also familiar with the difficulties in knowing what it meant and how it should be translated. For a nice summary of them, and for the conclusion that it doesn't argue either for or against abortion, see this article.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I want to know how a Christian can interpret the Bible in a way that permits abortions. I'm not going to post any arguments against it here; I just want to know how abortion is compatible with Christianity, as some Christians clearly think it is.
It's amazing that some Christians think they can rationalize it. Even rationalize it Biblically.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Nope.....murder is the issue, not cost, sacrifice, or anything else cleanses the land;

There's no consensus in Christian tradition that abortion is murder at all, especially of the drug induced variety. There are some pretty major medieval saints who openly discussed abortifacients--here's a fun one: Pope Promotes Birth Control | HuffPost

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Would you change your mind if this verse was in your Bible?

"Thou shalt not murder a child by abortion, nor again shalt thou kill it when it is born.?

See post #9
But it's not. I do look to the early traditions of the Church to help form some of my theology, but Scripture is going to be my number one guide.

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟592,518.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
ex21:

Which refers to harm to the woman not the foetus.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
But it's not. I do look to the early traditions of the Church to help form some of my theology, but Scripture is going to be my number one guide.

I asked you if it was, would you.

Upvote 0