• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

How big is the love of God for you?

Discussion in 'Christian Scriptures' started by lambofgod43985889, Sep 18, 2020.

1. lambofgod43985889

lambofgod43985889 Well-Known Member Supporter

+326
    Chile
    Protestant
    Private
    How big is the love of God,
    I cannot be sad.
    The angels are my squad.
    He protects me; he is dad.

How big is the love of God for you? Based on the scriptures

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Jesus is my Superhero

Jesus is my Superhero Member

+192
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    The love of/from God is more vast than I can comprehend. Through the teachings of Jesus I have a better understanding of mercy, justice and patience. I have also come to the understanding that love isn't just an emotion, but, also a choice, a decision, a way of life. God's way! Peace and kindness to you all.

3. WebersHome

WebersHome Well-Known Member Supporter

+419
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Re: How big is the love of God for you?

This depends upon which of God's loves we're talking about because He's capable of two distinct levels; for example:

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

God's love in that passage is expressed by the verb agapao (ag-ap-ah'-o) which is an impersonal level of love. In other words agapao primarily refers to benevolence; roughly defined as the disposition to do good, .e.g. kindness, consideration, generosity, courtesy, lenience, tolerance, patience, sympathy, assistance, civility, friendliness, etc. (cf. Matt 5:45)

John 3:16 tells me that God cares about certain people without particularly liking them; in point of fact He may even be quite disgusted and strongly inclined to discard their body, soul, and spirit in the lake of brimstone depicted at Rev 20:11-15 where numbers of folk will be terminated by a mode of death akin to a foundry worker falling into a kettle of molten iron. Ironically those people will be going there in spite of God's caring for their safety and wishing their lives didn't have to end that way.

His other level of love is expressed by the Greek verb phileo (fil-eh'-o) which exceeds agapao because it includes not just benevolence but also fondness, for example:

"The Father himself loves you, because you have loved me, and have believed that I came forth from the Father." (John 16:27)

"How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!" (1John 3:1)

In other words: phileo is a level of love that plucks God's heart strings because phileo is an affectionate level of love that speaks of bonding, longing, and attachment.
    _

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  4. renniks

renniks Well-Known Member

+2,010
    Christian
    Married
    The love of God is greater far
    Than tongue or pen can ever tell
    It goes beyond the highest star
    And reaches to the lowest hell
    The guilty pair, bowed down with care