Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The love of/from God is more vast than I can comprehend. Through the teachings of Jesus I have a better understanding of mercy, justice and patience. I have also come to the understanding that love isn't just an emotion, but, also a choice, a decision, a way of life. God's way! Peace and kindness to you all.

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Re: How big is the love of God for you?

This depends upon which of God's loves we're talking about because He's capable of two distinct levels; for example:

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

God's love in that passage is expressed by the verb agapao (ag-ap-ah'-o) which is an impersonal level of love. In other words agapao primarily refers to benevolence; roughly defined as the disposition to do good, .e.g. kindness, consideration, generosity, courtesy, lenience, tolerance, patience, sympathy, assistance, civility, friendliness, etc. (cf. Matt 5:45)

John 3:16 tells me that God cares about certain people without particularly liking them; in point of fact He may even be quite disgusted and strongly inclined to discard their body, soul, and spirit in the lake of brimstone depicted at Rev 20:11-15 where numbers of folk will be terminated by a mode of death akin to a foundry worker falling into a kettle of molten iron. Ironically those people will be going there in spite of God's caring for their safety and wishing their lives didn't have to end that way.

His other level of love is expressed by the Greek verb phileo (fil-eh'-o) which exceeds agapao because it includes not just benevolence but also fondness, for example:

"The Father himself loves you, because you have loved me, and have believed that I came forth from the Father." (John 16:27)

"How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!" (1John 3:1)

In other words: phileo is a level of love that plucks God's heart strings because phileo is an affectionate level of love that speaks of bonding, longing, and attachment.
_

Last edited:
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How big is the love of God,
I cannot be sad.