Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I stopped going to AFR after they banned Abbot Tryphon.

while I know folks have issues with AFR, they didn’t ban him. I am pretty sure they took down one thing he wrote/posted and he chose to leave.

Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
while I know folks have issues with AFR, they didn’t ban him. I am pretty sure they took down one thing he wrote/posted and he chose to leave.

Not according to the Abbot, but whatever it’s old news.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not according to the Abbot, but whatever it’s old news.

kinda not a ban when you are still one of AFR’s top tags, listed as a contributor, and your book is still marketed via their website.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think the complaints about Abbot Tryphon much less important than their refusal to adequately respond to legitimate and politely expressed concerns about material and/or speakers endorsing things in contradiction to our teachings on morality, sexuality and the family. It was a big mistake for Fr Andrew and Mr. Maddox to blow me off, taking me for a troll, and essentially deny any responsibility for the content that they host. I have been forced to agree with many of Mrs Kunsch’s legitimate complaints, supported by many other people, and utterly ignored by AFR. At any rate, a spirit that seems fine with indirect support of certain moral evils challenging our Tradition seems to be in charge there. They have a Content Control Officer, they have a spiritual advisor; they ARE responsible, but refuse to respond.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Coming in late on this one. What happened to you with AFR, Rus?
I think the complaints about Abbot Tryphon much less important than their refusal to adequately respond to legitimate and politely expressed concerns about material and/or speakers endorsing things in contradiction to our teachings on morality, sexuality and the family. It was a big mistake for Fr Andrew and Mr. Maddox to blow me off, taking me for a troll, and essentially deny any responsibility for the content that they host. I have been forced to agree with many of Mrs Kunsch’s legitimate complaints, supported by many other people, and utterly ignored by AFR. At any rate, a spirit that seems fine with indirect support of certain moral evils challenging our Tradition seems to be in charge there. They have a Content Control Officer, they have a spiritual advisor; they ARE responsible, but refuse to respond.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Coming in late on this one. What happened to you with AFR, Rus?
Long story short, several years ago an AFR podcast for young people run by one Steven Christoferou had him praising and promoting “Game of Thrones” to listeners. I objected by email to the station, as GOT is chock-full of open inappropriate contentography and the worst sorts of gratuitous violence, and B. Madden blew me off, said their spiritual advisor had approved the content, end of story. My concern was dismissed. Later I raised that concern with Fr A. Damick, who, it seemed, thought I was accusing him personally of promoting inappropriate contentography (which I wasn’t), first on FB, then privately. My public posts were deleted, and my concerns ignored. Nothing was done, those podcasts were still up as of last year.

That’s just one story. Other people have legitimately complained of speakers who, in their public lives, promote sexual anarchy being hosted on AFR, and their concerns similarly ignored. Mrs Kunsch has an entire laundry list; I fact-checked it myself and found the charges to be true.

It’s one thing to post people who repent of acting on our passions; we all know who the chief of sinners is, and can see him in the mirror. It’s another thing to give a platform to people who aim to change the teachings of the Church and declare it in their public lives, if not on the actual programs they speak in on AFR.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I watched two episodes of GoT. It was so utterly perverse, orgiastic, and full of nudity and rape that I couldn’t take it. I was out and done right there.
Long story short, several years ago an AFR podcast for young people run by one Steven Christoferou had him praising and promoting “Game of Thrones” to listeners. I objected by email to the station, as GOT is chock-full of open inappropriate contentography and the worst sorts of gratuitous violence, and B. Madden blew me off, said their spiritual advisor had approved the content, end of story. My concern was dismissed. Later I raised that concern with Fr A. Damick, who, it seemed, thought I was accusing him personally of promoting inappropriate contentography (which I wasn’t), first on FB, then privately. My public posts were deleted, and my concerns ignored. Nothing was done, those podcasts were still up as of last year.

That’s just one story. Other people have legitimately complained of speakers who, in their public lives, promote sexual anarchy being hosted on AFR, and their concerns similarly ignored. Mrs Kunsch has an entire laundry list; I fact-checked it myself and found the charges to be true.

It’s one thing to post people who repent of acting on our passions; we all know who the chief of sinners is, and can see him in the mirror. It’s another thing to give a platform to people who aim to change the teachings of the Church and declare it in their public lives, if not on the actual programs they speak in on AFR.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,176.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I watched two episodes of GoT. It was so utterly perverse, orgiastic, and full of nudity and rape that I couldn’t take it. I was out and done right there.
My wife bought me the book set, thinking I would be into it (in my youth I probably would have been), but I barely got through the first few chapters of the first book and never got back into it. I watched part of an episode and had no further interest. I honestly couldn't understand the appeal it had in the general population.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I read the first book on deployment, the only two characters I liked were killed off, and that was that.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't have TV cable, dish, channel, etc. so I don't see the shows that have been out the past decade. GOT -- the little I've seen snapshots of and some have discussed never interested me enough to even look into the story. I'm quite picky at what I watch, though.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It’s unfortunate that the author, Martin, felt he had to include inappropriate content in his writing to make it engaging. Tolkien and Herbert held my interest in LOTR and the Dune series respectively without orgies and rape.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It’s unfortunate that the author, Martin, felt he had to include inappropriate content in his writing to make it engaging. Tolkien and Herbert held my interest in LOTR and the Dune series respectively without orgies and rape.

as graphic as his books can be, they aren’t close to the series from what I heard.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
when I was deployed, the big prank the guys used to try to pull on me was to get me to watch stuff like GoT or Spartacus or whatever.
I've thought about your deployments and things you've mentioned about them and many of your fellow servicemen (such as the problem with fidelity) and such. I know how strong the peer pressure is in the military -- the actual military members in their squadron, cadre, platoon, regiment, battalion, fleet, etc. You just gave an example of it. I've thought about this over the last few months and admire your resistance to such things and for your strong dedication to God and service to your country in the way every person should be who joins. You're a fantastic role model for men. Just sharing my thoughts.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've thought about your deployments and things you've mentioned about them and many of your fellow servicemen (such as the problem with fidelity) and such. I know how strong the peer pressure is in the military -- the actual military members in their squadron, cadre, platoon, regiment, battalion, fleet, etc. You just gave an example of it. I've thought about this over the last few months and admire your resistance to such things and for your strong dedication to God and service to your country in the way every person should be who joins. You're a fantastic role model for men. Just sharing my thoughts.

you’re far too kind, Dot.

Upvote 0