how bad is the pain really?

on a 1-10 scale, how hard was labor to endure? (1=min, 10=more than I could bear)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ruhama

25 'הושע ב
Feb 5, 2003
Visit site
✟891.00
Faith
Messianic
I thought about putting this on the natural versus drugged thread but thought that I shouldn't probably hijack it with this topic.

I hear such differing accounts of the amount of pain labor causes if you go natural. I know a lot of it depends on whether tearing happens, etc., but in considering whether to go natural or epi, I would really like to try to gauge whether I could take it or not.

Would people who have had a baby without drugs be able to compare the pain to something? For example, one friend of mine said it was worse than having limbs ripped off... That then and there made me nearly decide automatically for the epi, but then I read of you ladies here who have really enjoyed natural birth.

So, I'm confused.

How far did it push your endurance?

sara elizabeth

Nov 29, 2004
✟807.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't vote because I don't really know how to gauge it. I had mine without drugs so that's all I know. Yes, it is definately painful, but it is not unbearable. I have had earaches that were much worse. I think part of what makes it easier is the fact that you get something for your efforts. You all so get a break between each contraction. If you go into it thinking you can do it, you probably will be able to. :)

Just my opinion, I think it is worth it for the baby's sake. They really are more alert without drugs.

Edit: Okay I voted a five.

Upvote 0

CoffeeSnob

Dec 31, 2004
Earth
✟7,744.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
sara elizabeth said:
I didn't vote because I don't really know how to gauge it. I had mine without drugs so that's all I know. Yes, it is definately painful, but it is not unbearable. I have had earaches that were much worse.

I put my vote at 5 because Ive had it really bad (hospital) and not too shabby (home)--I'd probably rate it at 9387464875 if I'd had more medicated and induced hospital births.

I had my first in the hospital I was induced and I had every drug in the pharmacy for pain and that had to be my most painful labor and delivery. My daughter was 9#3oz and with me laying on my back forever and 2.5 hours of pushing- it takes a toll on the ol' bod.

My second I prayed a TON about not having pain with the second -- people told me I was so stupid to pray for something like that-- but I believe all things are possible-- and so here came Noah without much warning 40 miles away from my house! *At least I was with my midwife at the time!!* Other than my midwife doing something that made me totally scream, it was a cinch as soon as I told her to stop touching me LOL! a 9#12oz baby out in one push with the most minimal amount of pain I could ever imagine!

My third-- I had only one contraction that hurt-- it was my body's way of saying "Ok, you gonna push today?" One push for the 9#8oz dude.

I agree that there are WORSE sorts of pain! I would take labor and delivery a million times a day over an earache too! LOL Or gallbladder attacks... ohhh... thats a thing I wouldnt wish on my worst enemy!

My non-drug births were really a ton different-- probably because of the amount of specific prayer that went into it and the fact that the natural contractions werent 10 times harder than with the induced contractions.

If I were to have another pitocin induced labor for some reason, I would totally opt for the drugs because those contrx are so much more than your body should go thru.

*YES, Im biased toward the med-free delivery, but since Ive been on both sides of the fence, I suppose I can be LOL* :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

CoffeeSnob

Dec 31, 2004
Earth
✟7,744.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
LOL yes-- the afterpains arent a picnic-- I had none with Aryeh-- very little with Noah and with Aaron, the Vicodin and Percoset in the med cabinet were looking awfully nice LOL!!

Been praying about those too this time around ;)

For those first time moms-- you wont likely feel them either because your uterus has more tone than us seasoned veteran moms LOL

They arent nearly as intense as the contractions of labor, but it felt, to me, like menstrual cramps-- and since I rarely even get those, I wasnt having a lot of fun the last time around LOL-- and usually a little tylenol or advil will give you a break.

Upvote 0

~Mrs. A2J~

According to your faith will it be done to you
Aug 13, 2004
South Texas
Visit site
✟10,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I put 6. I would classify labor as uncomfortable rather than painful I think. It's not a walk in the park but it's definitely doable for most women I think. The worst thing about giving birth to me was the amount of energy it took to push. I think the most painful thing was when the nurses pushed on my uterus to expel any left over placenta because the doctor yanked the placenta out prematurely. Earache or even toothache is DEFINITELY more painful than childbirth!

Upvote 0

CoffeeSnob

Dec 31, 2004
Earth
✟7,744.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
andiesmama said:
I put an "8" because I was induced with Pitocin, and there were NO breaks between contractions for me....luckily, they gave me something wonderful through my IV prior to my epidural, which made it bearable...and after the epi, things were great!!

Whatever they gave me made me see pastel bubbles LOL! but it took the edge off!!

I had my epidural reinserted 3 times and that was not fun at all.

Upvote 0