How bad do you want to be in a relationship?

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟327,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For me personally I've thought about this a little bit and can safely say I have almost no desire to ever get into one. I've looked around at the marriages in my life or other married couples I see, and not once did I ever think "I want what they have." I know some people are bothered by couples because they don't have a significant other but it doesn't bother me and I'd rather not be in that situation. My dad has tried to pressure me to get into some kind of relationship since i was like 12, thankfully I've moved in a state far away from him so I no longer have to hear him keep bringing up why I need to be in a relationship. And how I need to be in a relationship so I can be happy.

I've had a lot of people ask me, "You don't want to find a girlfriend"? Over the years. I guess people find my attitude towards relationships strange. I just don't think a relationship is worth giving up personal freedom. I realize relationships take a lot of time and commitment and effort and give and take and I have no interest in any of that. I just don't need the hassle. I also realize a lot of people in these marriages regret it after a period of time. Part of me also realizes how superficial relationships are. Perhaps you eventually learn to love the person you go out with eventually, but the reasons for why both of you decided to enter the relationship are always superficial. And that is probably the main reason most marriages end in divorce. Nothing worst than finding out the person you married is someone you eventually hate the most.

I don't think being single is right for everybody, but I do feel people who feel so lonely and desperate for a relationship have to find out for themselves what its like and if they are better off or not. Look I get it, some people just can't stand being alone and must always be in a relationship or they feel worthless. For these people maybe choosing the lesser of two evils is best. But I think if you love yourself, know your true worth, you come to a point where you realize you don't even need to be in a relationship to be happy. If you can only be happy if you are with someone, what kind of happiness is that really? Happiness dependent on others will always lead to disappointment. People will always let you down eventually. I say don't put your happiness in other peoples hands. Why give someone else that kind of power over you?

I use to be so desperate to be liked, to perhaps get in a relationship, but I value my personal happiness more than I do being liked or getting into a relationship. Sure we do hear stories of people who have been married for 60-70 years. I don't find that very appealing myself though. Once I realized my true worth, I realized I am better off not being in a relationship and restricting myself one way or another. This post has gone on long enough but how do you all feel about relationships? How bad do you personally want to be in one?

Grandpa2390

The Grey
Feb 24, 2017
New Orleans
✟42,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are some aspects of a marriage that I want. but there are others that I don't. and the "don'ts" seem to outweigh the "do's"

so I am on OKC and I browse every so often, send a message... but I can't commit. not at this point.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
After my divorce I didn't want to be in a relationship for a while, so I've been rollin' solo ever since (over three years now). But, the things I needed to focus on are just about all sorted out. Now I'm 30, only a couple more classes between me and my bachelors degree, lots of job prospects, and every other aspect of my life is tracking smoothly. I'm the only one of my friends who's still single, a lot of my friends are having kids, I'm ready for my turn. I'm ready to start a family.

I've had plenty of time to analyze my failed marriage from every angle, I know what was wrong with it, and I feel confident that I won't make the same mistake twice. I'll see what God has in mind for the future.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,277.00
Faith
Christian
Similarly to Geech, I've been rolling solo for a number of years now, and I too have been getting all of my ducks in line and taking a DEEP look at myself and the way I was when I was in a relationship (I don't like what I see. Then again, youth is a factor.)

The last two years in particular have been the two best years of my life. I've had everything my way - I've travelled the world, pursued my dream career, FINALLY moved out on my own, met so many amazing people, and now have such a strong sense of confidence. Honestly, I'm so self assured and self aware, that I don't think it's possible for me to get hurt again. And no, that's not bravado. That is YEARS of hard work and dedication to self improvement.

Everything that needed to be done, is now done. And although I'm not one to say categorically "I want a relationship" - I'm also aware now that I have a LOT to give, and given that it's been all about me for at least the last five years, I'm probably ready now to share my journey with someone.

But, who knows? I might not ever settle.

• Optimistic
Reactions: MotherFirefly
Upvote 0

Maria.V.H

Feb 1, 2017
Denmark
✟27,019.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For me personally I've thought about this a little bit and can safely say I have almost no desire to ever get into one. I've looked around at the marriages in my life or other married couples I see, and not once did I ever think "I want what they have." I know some people are bothered by couples because they don't have a significant other but it doesn't bother me and I'd rather not be in that situation. My dad has tried to pressure me to get into some kind of relationship since i was like 12, thankfully I've moved in a state far away from him so I no longer have to hear him keep bringing up why I need to be in a relationship. And how I need to be in a relationship so I can be happy.

I've had a lot of people ask me, "You don't want to find a girlfriend"? Over the years. I guess people find my attitude towards relationships strange. I just don't think a relationship is worth giving up personal freedom. I realize relationships take a lot of time and commitment and effort and give and take and I have no interest in any of that. I just don't need the hassle. I also realize a lot of people in these marriages regret it after a period of time. Part of me also realizes how superficial relationships are. Perhaps you eventually learn to love the person you go out with eventually, but the reasons for why both of you decided to enter the relationship are always superficial. And that is probably the main reason most marriages end in divorce. Nothing worst than finding out the person you married is someone you eventually hate the most.

I don't think being single is right for everybody, but I do feel people who feel so lonely and desperate for a relationship have to find out for themselves what its like and if they are better off or not. Look I get it, some people just can't stand being alone and must always be in a relationship or they feel worthless. For these people maybe choosing the lesser of two evils is best. But I think if you love yourself, know your true worth, you come to a point where you realize you don't even need to be in a relationship to be happy. If you can only be happy if you are with someone, what kind of happiness is that really? Happiness dependent on others will always lead to disappointment. People will always let you down eventually. I say don't put your happiness in other peoples hands. Why give someone else that kind of power over you?

I use to be so desperate to be liked, to perhaps get in a relationship, but I value my personal happiness more than I do being liked or getting into a relationship. Sure we do hear stories of people who have been married for 60-70 years. I don't find that very appealing myself though. Once I realized my true worth, I realized I am better off not being in a relationship and restricting myself one way or another. This post has gone on long enough but how do you all feel about relationships? How bad do you personally want to be in one?
I hear you, often relationships are not easy, and i think you are totally right that we should learn to make ourselves happy, not depend on others, but i also think that it is very important to interact with others, because riding solo is okay for a while but in the long run i don´t think it´s a good thing. We need people in our lives to measure us against, to learn things from, to grow as humans. Also to prevent to be in a state where we learn that everything is all about us, that is not good i think. The longer we live alone the longer we only have to focus on us, and maybe we will forget how to compromise. In a lot of cases when people choose to live alone i think it´s also a form of fear, at least in my case it is fear, fear to get close to someone, fear to get hurt, fear that someone will take things from me i can´t ever get back like in the past. I think it´s not easy if you had failure before in a relationship to have open eyes and not be fearless, and i definitely think we think too much:)

Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟208,842.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
It varies. There are times when I'm perfectly happy being single, but other times I'm not, and it can range from thinking it would be quite nice to be in a relationship to being very frustrated about not being able to meet anyone.

• Agree
Reactions: Servant68
Upvote 0

Applekrate

Site Supporter
Apr 2, 2017
Arizona
✟127,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How bad? It all depends on it being the right gal. I have always been a dedicated and loyal person but, it has to be the right one. It is my own fault that I have not been trying much for some time and keep putting it off. Perhaps this will change in the coming years. In the meantime, am comfy on my own doing my thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Right now I have no interest. I have done a lot of reflecting and have realized that I am actually quite happy being single and I am content with how things are.

I am also aware of the fact that I don't have the typical desire to date as most do. I hate dating with a passion and unless there is another way of getting to know someone for the reason of a relationship I will happily remain as I am. I am also too introverted and protective of my time to be considered for a relationship. I don't like giving up my freedom so easily, if at all. None of these traits are conducive to being in a relationship.

So, in short, I am better off as I am and I am happy with that.

Upvote 0

sundewgrower

Site Supporter
Nov 6, 2014
somewhere
✟110,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
I really want a relationship, however, I know the wrong one or bad timing will make it a fate far worse than being single. So I am trying to get my ducks in line, relax, and see where the future goes. But still I think of being married is my #1 goal, however, I need to focus on the 99 other ones first, and while doing so maybe that one goal will happen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sundewgrower

Site Supporter
Nov 6, 2014
somewhere
✟110,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
I want to be in a good relationship...so I don't want it bad enough to sacrifice good judgement nor making "having a pulse" my standard.
I see enough dysfunctional relationships to know I'm better single than stuck in something I cannot readily get out of.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,277.00
Faith
Christian
Right now I have no interest. I have done a lot of reflecting and have realized that I am actually quite happy being single and I am content with how things are.

I am also aware of the fact that I don't have the typical desire to date as most do. I hate dating with a passion and unless there is another way of getting to know someone for the reason of a relationship I will happily remain as I am. I am also too introverted and protective of my time to be considered for a relationship. I don't like giving up my freedom so easily, if at all. None of these traits are conducive to being in a relationship.

So, in short, I am better off as I am and I am happy with that.

Quite.

Freedom is one hell of a price to pay...

Upvote 0