How aware are we how frail our lives are and that we may at any time be one heart beat any from eternity?

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have already come very close to death at least four times as a result of medical emergences, and very possibly at other times as well. It does not much matter who we are, all of us are potentially only one heatbeat away from death. It's not a very fashionable subject to talk about, or to preach about the fear of the Lord these days, but none of us know when the Lord may call us home and it matters about being ready for that day. It was not that many years ago, when the medical treatment which has been used to save my life from two heart attacks did not even exist and I might have died. At the time, this was a big wake up call to me and it is not difficult from many of us to take each day for granted, not realising that one day, our allotted number of days will be gone.

Have we not all received God's gift of lift, that we may live our lives to please Him and to walk uprightly before Him? Our lives are but little sparks in eternity, we burn brigtly for an instant and then we are gone. Many us argue about our interpretation of largely un-important theological subject, but will we be really for that day, when our lives will end and we have to give an account befor God. It's a serious business when this day comes! I have read that it used to be said "that there is no repentance in the grave". In view of this, what sort of people do we need to be?

I seek to regularly remind myself about this. My bible tells me that "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" and that "From everlasting to everlasting Thou art God. Thou turnest man to destruction: and sayest " Return ye children of men." For a thousand years are as yesterday when it is past, And as a watch in the night. Thou carriest them away as with a flood; they are a sleep: In the morning they are like grass which groweth up. In the morning it flourisheth, and groweth up: In the evening it is cut down and withereth. For we are consumed by Thine anger, And by Thy wrath are we troubled.

Thou hast set our iniquities before Thee, Our secret sins in the light light of Thy countenance. For all our days are passed away in Thy wrath: We spend our days as a tale that is told. The Days of our years are threescore years and ten; And if by reason strength they be fourscore years, Yet is their strength labour and sorrow; For it is soon cut off, and we fly away. Who knoweth the power of Thine anger? Even according to Thy fear, so is Thy wrath. So teach us to number our days, That we may apply our hearts to wisdom.

I count myself as greatly blessed by God that I have survived two heart attacks and two strokes and have lived to tell the tale. Also to realise that each day that I now live is a gift from God, which I otherwise may not have had. Regardless of all the aparent miracles of modern medical science, none of us know the day of our passing and we need to know how to walk humbly before our God, knowing that we owe all things to Him.

Last edited:

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟326,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am a cancer survivor and my sister gave me a kidney so I could live. Believe me I know how blessings work. And I still can give blood to save others!

T
Trusting in Him
I think that we both understand a lot about being what it means to be blessed by God, because we know that we are loved, because of God has saved us in this life and that He has saved us to be His special people in eternity as well. Not everyone understands why some of us can have such assurance that we are special to God. If God is for us who can be against us!
Upvote 0