Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's not possible. To read the words and say "this is what they mean" is to interpret them.

Interpretations usually means that person gives own meaning to direct text. Therefore, what I mean, it is usually better not to give own meanings, but read the text as it is. Similarly, as I would read what you say. I don’t interpret your texts, I read it directly as you say it. Or what would you think, if I would say, you don’t really mean what you say, you meant that I am correct, but you just had difficulties to form the message in clear way?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mmmm... Can I take another tack...

Does God Love us... ? Yes
Does God want us to hear Him... ? Yes
Does God want us to understand what is true...? Yes
Did He build into us the capacity to hear Him...? Yes
Did He build into us the capacity to understand... ? Yes
Did He inspire folks to write down what he was saying...? Yes
Did He watch over the record of what He said... ? Yes
Can we trust it... ? Yes
Does God discriminate against the simple...? No
Can the simple understand with His help...? Yes
Does our own selfishness contest His meanings...? Yes
Does our traditional thought contest His meanings...? Yes
Will He open understanding to anyone seeking with prayer and an open heart,
that which He needs them to know as they read... ? Yes
Did He initially choose the learned to teach His truth... ? No
What is my favourite Psalm... ? Psalm 131

Childlike Trust in the Lord.

A Song of Ascents, of David.

1 My heart is not proud, LORD, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me.
2 But I have calmed and quieted myself, I am like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child I am content.
3 Israel, put your hope in the LORD both now and forevermore.

Bless you all,

Carl Emerson

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Therefore, what I mean, it is usually better not to give own meanings, but read the text as it is.

It's not possible to just "read the text as it is." To read something is to interpret it -- to make a guess as to meaning.

In many cases everybody agrees on what the text means, but often this is not the case.

Similarly, as I would read what you say. I don’t interpret your texts, I read it directly as you say it.

Here on CF I try to be as clear as I can. And writing in English, there are no translation issues. And people still misinterpret me half the time!

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
By logic/reason? By an emotional feeling?

What is the method?

we can't roll a dice to determine truth. I.e "if the coin lands on tails and I blinked 3 times, therefore my interpretation is true". Won't work

So what is the correct method?

Thru much study and a comprehensive understanding of the full message along with some knowledge of the original languages it was written in. I think majority of the interpretation problems occur by inaccurate English translations that do not fully encompass the definitions of the Greek and Hebrew words used in the scriptures. So the full message isn’t being conveyed in the English translation.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

What is the method?

we can't roll a dice to determine truth. I.e "if the coin lands on tails and I blinked 3 times, therefore my interpretation is true". Won't work

Acts 17:11 "they" (non Christians) "Studied the scriptures daily to SEE IF those things spoken to them by the Apostle Paul - were SO" .

That means you and I can read the Bible and "get it" via the power and insight of God the Holy Spirit. It means this is sooo incredibly true that even those non-Christians of Acts 17:11 could do it.

Most of the Bible is easy to read.
And it is easy to find people that read and understand it.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's not possible to just "read the text as it is." To read something is to interpret it -- to make a guess as to meaning.

That sounds weird. For example, if it is written: "read the text as it is.", I believe most people understand what those words mean and therefore they also understand the meaning of the combination of those words correctly. Now, to get non-literal meaning for that, there should always be some reason for that. If we don’t have any reason to say, “read” doesn’t mean read, then it means read.

Here on CF I try to be as clear as I can. And writing in English, there are no translation issues. And people still misinterpret me half the time!

That is unfortunate. Nice that here you have possibility to correct the misunderstandings.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The problem with just reading the Bible is that there are lots of voices. If you don't think about how to deal with that, you'll pick the one your tradition accepts and just read over the others.

For example, Jesus had both male and female disciples. Female followers were nearly unheard of. Yes, he called the men, but the women were just as close to him, and were more faithful at the end. Paul accepted female leaders, and said that in Christ there is no male or female. There are two possible readings of 1 Tim (since the same Greek word can be wife or woman). But under one, women leaders are prohibited. The traditional reading considers this passage controlling and explains away the others. Everyone makes decisions like that. You have to.

There are also rules for what to do with OT laws. Sure, there's good reason for those rules, but we don't just read OT passages literally. We read them in accordance with Christian understanding. And not all Christians agree. During much of Christian history, Christians took literally the prohibition against charging interest. There are still disagreements about the Sabbath.

There are debates over now some parts of the Bible were intended. E.g. I think Jonah is an obvious satire. Some people think it's history.

Not to mention things that just aren't clear, e.g. whether to baptize infants or abortion. People have convinced themselves that the Bible speaks clearly on both topics, but they're reading their own understanding into the text.

All of these questions have reasonable answers, but if you claim you're not making decisions, you're likely to simply accept whatever you grew up with or heard in your church, without thinking about the interpretation behind them.

Finally, there are parts of the Bible that are just wrong, if interpreted literally. Gen 1 is one of them. We do ourselves no favor by pretending that scientists are engaged in a conspiracy against Christianity.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That sounds weird. For example, if it is written: "read the text as it is.", I believe most people understand what those words mean and therefore they also understand the meaning of the combination of those words correctly.

Assuming you know what "the text" means.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think majority of the interpretation problems occur by inaccurate English translations that do not fully encompass the definitions of the Greek and Hebrew words used in the scriptures. So the full message isn’t being conveyed in the English translation.

No doubt. But I'm sure that you and I differ on which translations are the good ones.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hedrick said... "Finally, there are parts of the Bible that are just wrong, if interpreted literally. Gen 1 is one of them. We do ourselves no favor by pretending that scientists are engaged in a conspiracy against Christianity....

Jesus turned water into a vintage wine in an instant.

He can equally create rocks with 'age' in an instant.

He can also change the rate of time.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Gen 1.

Blessings.

Carl Emerson.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
He can equally create rocks with 'age' in an instant.
Sure, he could. He could have created the universe a minute ago and given us all memories of our lives. There's just no reason to think he would do that, and plenty of reason when looking at the Bible to believe it to be a human witness.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sure, he could. He could have created the universe a minute ago and given us all memories of our lives. There's just no reason to think he would do that, and plenty of reason when looking at the Bible to believe it to be a human witness.

What do you mean by a human witness when no humans witnessed what happened before they were created?

Blessings,

Carl Emerson

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I thought we agreed on much of the bible’s teachings.

Perhaps we do. That's not the same as agreeing which translations are the good ones. FWIW, I think the best ones are ESV, CSB, and NIV, in that order.

Like I said. Case in point.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟884,137.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

What is the method?

You could get some help from writings of the early Church, preferably before 300AD.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟166,441.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

What is the method?

Here are some answers

"27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him."(1 John 2:27 KJV)

"20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, 21 Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen."(Hebrews 13:20,21 KJV)

"32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?...45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,"(Luke 24:32, 45 KJV)
(This was Jesus doing this before the Holy Ghost was given although the Holy Ghost also teaches us)

"1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. 2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. 3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. 4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: 5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God. 6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought: 7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: 8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. 9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. 10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. 13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."(1 Corinthians 2:1-14 KJV)

John 16:13
"Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come."

Upvote 0