Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hi to all and how DEACONS appointed tin the Assembly today ?

I mean the assembly of today ??

What is the DEACONS JOB DESCRIPTION for today ?

dan p
Methodists have deacons, Lutherans have deacons, Catholics have deacons, all sorts of Christian groups have deacons. I've noticed you put this thread in the 'Dispensationalist' category. Was that for a reason?

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Methodists have deacons, Lutherans have deacons, Catholics have deacons, all sorts of Christian groups have deacons. I've noticed you put this thread in the 'Dispensationalist' category. Was that for a reason?

Hi and this is a DISPENSATIONAL ISSUE as I see it and we as an assembly are FACING this problem !!

They have deacons with Elders and are letting deacons vote at times with the ELDERS and at other times , deacons can not vote !!

So far Acts 20:28 helps me as ONLY the HOLY SPIRIT appoints ELDERS !!

dan p

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hi and this is a DISPENSATIONAL ISSUE as I see it and we as an assembly are FACING this problem !!

They have deacons with Elders and are letting deacons vote at times with the ELDERS and at other times , deacons can not vote !!

So far Acts 20:28 helps me as ONLY the HOLY SPIRIT appoints ELDERS !!

dan p
OK.

How deacons are appointed among people who follow dispensationalism then. Not relating at all to how deacons are appointed among Catholics or Lutherans or Methodists or Baptists or whatever. But then might there be Baptist dispensationalists? I don't even know. I would think that how deacons are appointed depends on the denomination more than anything.

And as to the appointing of bishops and deacons, Paul instructed Timothy in chapter 3 of 1 Timothy on how to do that and expected him to do it.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Deaconesses would assist in anointing and baptising women, and in ministering to the spiritual needs of the women of the community. As churches discontinued ordaining women as deacons, these duties largely fell to the nuns and to the priests' wives.
Deacon - Wikipedia

Note the reversal in roles being meted out. Not any bases for definition available it seems.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Deaconesses would assist in anointing and baptising women, and in ministering to the spiritual needs of the women of the community. As churches discontinued ordaining women as deacons, these duties largely fell to the nuns and to the priests' wives.
Deacon - Wikipedia

Note the reversal in roles being meted out. Not any bases for definition available it seems.

Hi and I have looked up the word DEACONESSES in Vine's and STRONG'S and nthere is no Greek word for DEACONESSES in the bible !

The Greek word DIAKONOS / DEACON , means WAITER , MINISTER , SERVANT !!

I have yet to see how DEACONS are appointed in the bible and be glad to see if anyone has a verse for the appointment of DEACONS !!

Acts 20:28 shows how ELDERS ARE APPOINTED !!

And I am leaded to think that Acts 20:28 also applies to DEACONS and 1 Tim 3:1 is my proof !!

dan p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is indeed an interesting question. But what does it have to do with Dispensationalism?
Hi Biblewriter , because sent Titus was sent by Pail to appoint ELDERS and DEACONS for the Body of Christ !!

I began this OP as we are having a difficult time with Pastor and one ELDER who like to run things !!

So , biblically how are Pastors , ELDERS and DEACONS appointed and want others who might have a better approach , then I as how to handle this problem , as I believe , it is going to get UGLY !!

I will be using Acts 14:23 and Acts 20:28 and 1 Tim 3:1 as my defense !!

dan p

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hi Biblewriter , because sent Titus was sent by Pail to appoint ELDERS and DEACONS for the Body of Christ !!

I began this OP as we are having a difficult time with Pastor and one ELDER who like to run things !!

So , biblically how are Pastors , ELDERS and DEACONS appointed and want others who might have a better approach , then I as how to handle this problem , as I believe , it is going to get UGLY !!

I will be using Acts 14:23 and Acts 20:28 and 1 Tim 3:1 as my defense !!

dan p
The New Testament says that the Apostle appointed someone to appoint elders. But that does not mean that we are authorized to appoint them.

The fact that we are clearly told the qualifications for elders and Deacons also does not mean we are authorized to appoint them. In my personal opinion, it means that seeing the qualifications in a man is how we realize who God has already appointed for these functions. That is, we are only authorized to recognize those that God has appointed, not to appoint anyone to such functions.

EDIT:

And there is no scripture indicating that such recognition should me formal or official. The scriptures about submitting to such men are on a personal level, not a corporate level. That is, when I see such characteristics in a man, I should submit to him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Danoh

Oct 11, 2011
✟40,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is indeed an interesting question. But what does it have to do with Dispensationalism?

Within the particular brand of Mid-Acts Dispensationalism I hold to all questions and or their answers have to do with and or are impacted by "Dispensationalism."

Within our understanding "that which is perfect" 1 Cor. 13:10 (which we understand from Scripture [rightly divided as to the things that differ within Scripture, as to what goes where, 2 Tim. 2:15-18] is referring to the completed Canon of Scripture, 2 Tim. 3:16, 17).

With said completion, the gifts Paul asserted in 1 Cor. 13, would fail, vanish away, cease, did so.

The purpose of said gifts, also described in Eph. 4, had the function that 2 Tim. 3:16, 17 would later describe the Scriptures able to result in, in one "that the man of God be perfect" (in other words) "throughly furnished unto all good works."

Note how that qualifications Paul describes in the following are also found in lost people...

1 Timothy 3:1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; 3:3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; 3:4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; 3:5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?) 3:6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil. 3:7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil. 3:8 Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre; 3:9 Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience. 3:10 And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless. 3:11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things. 3:12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well. 3:13 For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus. 3:14 These things write I unto thee, hoping to come unto thee shortly: 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth. 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

In other words, they are qualifications one either brings to the Faith from his former life, or that he develops as he grows in an understanding of how the Believer is to conduct him or herself in house of God.

In short, DP's question indeed does "have to do with Dispensationalism."

Regardless of the extent of one's Cessationism.

Nevertheless, Romans 5:6-8 - in each our stead.

Yours in Him

______

BW, DP, hope you are both in better health these days.

:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The New Testament says that the Apostle appointed someone to appoint elders. But that does not mean that we are authorized to appoint them.

The fact that we are clearly told the qualifications for elders and Deacons also does not mean we are authorized to appoint them. In my personal opinion, it means that seeing the qualifications in a man is how we realize who God has already appointed for these functions. That is, we are only authorized to recognize those that God has appointed, not to appoint anyone to such functions.

EDIT:

And there is no scripture indicating that such recognition should me formal or official. The scriptures about submitting to such men are on a personal level, not a corporate level. That is, when I see such characteristics in a man, I should submit to him.

Hi and when you read Acts 14:23 , and what doe " in whom they believed " and this verb PISTEUO is on the Greek PLUPERFECT then mean ??

dan p

Upvote 0