How Anglican is not Reformed or Lutheran?

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,936.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Yes, a very lengthy process.

Certainly true that Henry rejected the Pope and not the catholicity of the Church.
Cranmer, during his time as an ambassador in Germany, studied with Lutherans, and married the niece of a Lutheran Professor. Cranmer's BCP, with some simplifications, was the Lutheran Service Book of it's time.
Likewise, when we read the 39 articles along with the Augsburg Confession, there is no denying the Lutheran influence.

Interestingly, when the Lutherans in North America Transitioned to English (around 1900) they consulted the BCP as their basis for what eventually became "The Lutheran Hymnal" in 1941, this is also the timing of when we "misplaced" the Apocrypha because we adopted the KJV Bible at the same time.

Both Anglicans and Lutherans have influenced the progression of each other's Churches.
There was also an early American German speaking Lutheran synod that declared the Episcopal Church as the English Lutheran Church.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,435.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have observed (anecdotally, I haven't done formal research on it), that when people try to answer the question of whether Anglicanism is more Lutheran or more Calvinist in flavour, those who look at doctrinal statements and their development tend to emphasise the Calvinist influence; but those who look at the liturgies and their development tend to emphasise the Lutheran influence. Which may say something about the different ways in which those influences were appropriated and integrated in Anglicanism.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,936.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Interesting, I did not know that.
I need to look it up, but i think it was the early synod in New York. They did it because second and later generation Americans wanted to worship in English, and the synod didn't want to stop speaking German.

• Informative
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,343.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I need to look it up, but i think it was the early synod in New York. They did it because second and later generation Americans wanted to worship in English, and the synod didn't want to stop speaking German.
Sounds plausible.:scratch::oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟241,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
There was also an early American German speaking Lutheran synod that declared the Episcopal Church as the English Lutheran Church.
I also didn't know this! I wonder how similar their theology is.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I also didn't know this! I wonder how similar their theology is.

There's enough similarity that the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and the Episcopal Church in the US (TEC) are "Full Communion Partners", meaning that, while we continue to exist as two separate organizations, we fully recognize each other's sacraments and can share clergy. The Porvoo Communion is a similar agreement in Europe.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,936.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
There's enough similarity that the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and the Episcopal Church in the US (TEC) are "Full Communion Partners", meaning that, while we continue to exist as two separate organizations, we fully recognize each other's sacraments and can share clergy. The Porvoo Communion is a similar agreement in Europe.
And IIRC the ACNA has been in altar sharing conversations with Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, so it's both the more conservative and more progressive branches that are having these conversations.

• Informative
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,343.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
And IIRC the ACNA has been in altar sharing conversations with Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, so it's both the more conservative and more progressive branches that are having these conversations.
No, I believe you are mistaken. There are still some issues that preclude "altar fellowship"; you are correct that there is positive dialogue between the LCMS/LCC (LCC is my Synod) and the ACNA. One big one is the ACNA's current position regarding female clergy.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟566,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
ACNA reached an early agreement with NALC. How much attention the ACNA pays to it varies greatly by diocese. For example, the Reformed Episcopal Church, a full member of ACNA, ignores the relationship to an extent that I have met clergy who were totally unaware of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums