How and when should I tell my mother I've been baptized?

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am scheduled to be baptized on Holy Saturday, April 7th. Should I just come home with wet hair and tell my mom "I got baptized into the Eastern Orthodox Church!" or should I tell her before?

My mother does not approve a of icons, priests, or Mary's highly regarded status.
"She's just the woman who gave birth to Jesus!" is something she said.

I really do think she would love Eastern Orthodoxy if she gave it a chance. The church I go to is so humble and nice. I think I'll win her over eventually. This could be the first step. I think giving someone information is more effective than arguing. By being baptized and expressing happiness, I'll be showing her that the church is having a positive impact on me.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am scheduled to be baptized on Holy Saturday, April 7th. Should I just come home with wet hair and tell my mom "I got baptized into the Eastern Orthodox Church!" or should I tell her before?

My mother does not approve a of icons, priests, or Mary's highly regarded status.
"She's just the woman who gave birth to Jesus!" is something she said.

I really do think she would love Eastern Orthodoxy if she gave it a chance. The church I go to is so humble and nice. I think I'll win her over eventually. This could be the first step. I think giving someone information is more effective than arguing. By being baptized and expressing happiness, I'll be showing her that the church is having a positive impact on me.
This is really hard for us to say since we don't know you or your mother in person. Whatever I might suggest, I could be completely wrong. Better to talk to your priest, I think.

Upvote 0

SaNcTaMaRiA

I am a man...who loves our Lady!
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Iowa
✟169,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you are an adult then just tell her. Don't be ashamed of Jesus. If she gets mad tell her you at least didn't join the idol worshiping Catholics ;). I'm kidding of course we don't worship idols.

Your mom isnt wise she is ignorant. You have a great responsibility to teach her.

• Winner
Reactions: Andrei D
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don’t know your mother (obviously :)), so I can’t say what is best. That said, my Dad found out that I became a catechumen off the parish website. He was very hurt that I didn’t tell them myself beforehand. They ended up coming to my chrismation despite disagreeing with my choice...thy still wanted to support me.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You have wise mother which is very rare to find nowdays not like mine who uses words like "lol" being near 50 , listen to her you lucky one .

what do you mean and what does this have to do with the topic?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrei D

Feb 13, 2018
Charlotte, NC
✟76,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I had an unexpectedly good experience with my mother in law. When my wife got baptized she initially didn't say anything for a long while. Then out of the blue she called wanting to know more about the Church, and she said she might even want to come see our Church with us when she visits. Now she had her travel plans upended by some unexpected events and she called that she needs to postpone her arrival to April 7 and she called and asked if we will be planning to go to Church at all that weekend she'd like to join us...

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lol... My family saw our baptisms on Facebook and we have never discussed it. I am an adult and I make my own choices.

My oldest son and his wife are in the process of leaving Evangelicalism for Anglicanism (ACNA). They told his wife's family today and the dad got huffy but he got over it. Again, they're adults. It is their choice.

How old are you? Do you live with your mom?

Upvote 0

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Lol... My family saw our baptisms on Facebook and we have never discussed it. I am an adult and I make my own choices.

My oldest son and his wife are in the process of leaving Evangelicalism for Anglicanism (ACNA). They told his wife's family today and the dad got huffy but he got over it. Again, they're adults. It is their choice.

How old are you? Do you live with your mom?
I turn 22 on the 26th this month, and yes.

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I turn 22 on the 26th this month, and yes.

Living with anybody takes tact and a lot of consideration. Mishandling something could make both of you miserable. I would talk to the priest if I were you. As someone pointed out, we don't know your mom. It's tough to name that call

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps I missed this detail, but did the OP invite Mom to the baptism? That’s a place to start.

Also, these comments about OP’s Mom not being wise or being wise or being ignorant, ugh....it’s Lent for corn sake. No need for this....

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps I missed this detail, but did the OP invite Mom to the baptism? That’s a place to start.

Also, these comments about OP’s Mom not being wise or being wise or being ignorant, ugh....it’s Lent for corn sake. No need for this....
I invited mine. I didn’t think they would be interested in coming, but it meant so much when they did.

Upvote 0