how accurate is this source on the cross?

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
  • Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
the cross indeed is found in many pagan circles that even predate Christ as well as within Christianity and can be treated as an idol. however, this doesn't void Christ's experience on the cross nor does it void his victory over it. The cross itself can be used as a symbol for something greater and it's not the cross that carries any power but instead the thing it points to and it points to Christ so it is Christ with the power, not an object. When we turn the cross into an object of power like wearing it around our neck or hanging it on all walls to protect us we are looking to the object as the source of power and not what it points to which is idolatry. it is not wrong to wear a cross around your neck or to hang one on your wall, it is a different matter however to think that doing so gives us greater protection.

Christianity has a lot of folk beliefs in it and the cross takes on more than symbolic roles. If we view the cross as a pagan symbol when Christ was nailed to it then what does this proclaim? Christ took on the sins of the world and died humiliated on a cross so that he may triumph over death and offer us redemption. It actually seems fitting he dies on a symbol regarded by many as pagan as the cross is not a symbol of the cross triumphing over Christ but rather Christ triumphing over the cross. Contrary to anecdotal folk-beliefs there are no 2000 years old cross relics and if there were the relic would have no more power than any other 2000-year-old rotting wood. That cross Christ was nailed to has long rotted away but Christ rose from the dead and is alive today. So where is the pagan cross 2000 years ago? it exists in history books or conspiracy theory websites and that's what is left of it.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
May I suggest you read this article.
The Two Babylons | Christian Research Institute

It was written by Ralph Woodrow a former staunch follower of Hislop. He even wrote a book based on 2 Babylons
Babylon Mystery Religion (Ralph Woodrow Evangelistic Assn., 1966).
After he researched 2B he found it to be full of errors, false information etc. he withdrew his book from publication.

• Winner
Upvote 0

AdamjEdgar

Apr 11, 2021
Melbourne
✟17,432.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
an intertesting read.
My view of all of this is as follows:

we are going to be judged on the fruits of our faith and acceptance of Jesus as our saviour.

In light of that, i think that anyone who genuinely believes that they are following their conscience will be judged accordingly.

I have always believed that the intention of the person is what counts...none of us are perfect or sinless (i am a hopeless addict to sin...one of the worst examples of a Christian i think). However, i believe that people generally know in their hearts whether or not they are doing the right thing, they know in their hearts whether or not they have the faith of Jesus.

I dont carry these objects around or use them in my worship because it just doesnt feel right...it never has felt right. When i was younger and before my parents became SDA's i didnt like going out to dances, i didnt do a lot of things that normal non christian people do...it just didnt feel right. I still made a lot of poor decisions, but even as a non christian, my conscience was working on my decision making.

Upvote 0