• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

How about being able to vote disagree, or dislike to a forum post?

Discussion in 'Suggest New Forums' started by dms1972, Jul 5, 2020.

1. dms1972

dms1972 Well-Known Member Supporter

+823
    Non-Denom
    Single
    All the respons options to forum posts only allow positive votes (like, agree, winner etc.) except "funny" which might mean a number of things. How about an option to vote disagree to posts?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Rachel20

Rachel20 Member

+185
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    As a relatively new member, I was just noticing that. I have to admit, I like it because it keeps things more positive.

3. pdudgeon

pdudgeon Traditional Catholic Supporter

+10,287
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    posting "I disagree with your post because..." is always possible, and is actually much more informative than a "thumbs down" symbol would be.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. public hermit

public hermit social troglodyte Supporter

+3,739
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I disagree.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Sophrosyne

Sophrosyne Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16

+41,204
    Christian
    If they didn't keep a tally of posts likes and such an occasional disagree wouldn't matter but in some areas I have found that the ratio of people on opinions is not equal and I'm thinking that the temptation of a lot on one side would all choose dislike and then use that later on to point out that that person has a "lot" of dislikes and try and suggest because of that their opinion matters less.
    Essentially negative ratings will probably only tempt bullying IMO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+10,088
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    Disagreeing with words is always better than disagreeing by pressing a button, whereas 'likes' are okay because there's usually not much more to say if you already agree with whatever has been said. "Yes" is just yes, but a "No" should be able to be defended.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. dms1972

+823
    Non-Denom
    Single
    That is true, a comment explaining reasons for disagreement is more informative.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  8. dms1972

+823
    Non-Denom
    Single
    But could it not lead to a sort of unreality?

9. Lost4words

Lost4words Jesus I Trust In You Supporter

+6,609
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    Problem being is that i would disagree and dislike all my own posts! :(

10. Rachel20

Rachel20 Member

+185
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I suppose so. But the use of negative options could as well, since they're more ripe for misuse (disliking the person rather than the post, etc...)

11. George95

George95 CF Tech Master Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+1,112
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    From my experience of running forums and administrating them as well, I have see both positive and negative results from them. It cuts down on spam posts by having some react with a thumbs down, but it also accounts for abuse of the post ratings, and really doesn't help discussions if you have people not replying to support why they disagree.

12. George95

George95 CF Tech Master Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+1,112
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    You are unable to rate your posts, so there wouldn't be any problem even if this was added. :)

13. George95

+1,112
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    The abuse of post ratings can be moderated by Staff, which can result in the removal of post rating privileges.

14. Lost4words

Lost4words Jesus I Trust In You Supporter

+6,609
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    I am Lost4words!

15. Lord Give Me A Sign

Lord Give Me A Sign Newbie

+286
    Christian
    Single
    I know other websites where if you post anything pro Trump, you get either "slapped" or "negged" depending on the site

Even if your just saying you agree with him on one small thing they'll do that

Its probably best we leave this site the way it is

16. dms1972

+823
    Non-Denom
    Single
    OK - I can see how the there is potential for a dislike button to be misused, and that reasons for disagreement usually needs to be articulated to be informative. So I agree I guess its better to leave as is.

17. Dkh587

Dkh587 David דויד Supporter

+1,490
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    YES! I vote for a dislike option/thumbs down feature.

it’s way too politically correct to not have one - let’s be fair and add one, please.

18. Dkh587

+1,490
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I do understand your point, but we could use that same argument to negate all post ratings - does it really help the discussion if someone “likes” or “agrees” or finds a post “useful”?

In what ways does the person like it, or agree, or find it useful? Do they like the entire post? Part of it, or was the beginning, middle or end “useful”? Do you see what I mean?

Can we at least try it for 30 days? Let’s give it a trial run.

I prefer a thumbs down rather than a disagree button.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  19. George95

+1,112
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    That argument though can go two ways, one way for positive ratings, and the other way for negative ratings. Either way they can be abused and access can be removed, but if someone is going around liking every post they see, I wouldn't call that abuse versus someone disliking every post they see.

This is something that would have to be decided by the Senior Staff, so I can escalate this up but can not make any guarantee.

20. Dkh587

+1,490
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Did you ever escalate this to the Senior Staff?