Not open for further replies.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
How a Dubious Claim of Cement Milkshakes in Portland Became a Right-Wing Meme
A right-wing meme was born this weekend after Portland police said they’d been informed that Antifa protesters had pelted far-right demonstrators with cement milkshakes. Conservative internet trolls, including Pizzagate conspiracy theorist Jack Posobiec and writer Ian Miles Cheong, pounced, tweeting that left-wingers were pelting people with cement drinks. Their followers ran with it, posting photos of concrete burns suffered by the demonstrators.

Except that none of it was true. There’s no evidence that the milkshakes contained cement. The photos were fake. And the police got it all wrong, and in the process birthed a right-wing internet movement based on a falsehood.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Apparently it is okay to throw actual milkshakes at photographers and beat them with a weapon until they need hospitalization...so long as it is never claimed or insinuated that that the milkshakes might have been made out of something other than milk.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Assaulting people who disagree with you is still not okay.

Throwing a milkshake is not assault, and Ngo is not a """journalist""".
Ringo

• Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sorry for the double post, but to paraphrase a great tweet I saw on this:

"They assaulted me by throwing a cement-laden milkshake at me!"

"That's terrible! Can we see the proof?"

"No."
Ringo

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,654.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ringo

Why is Ngo not a journalist?

Also, he was assaulted and had to go to the hospital. The milkshake on him was only part of what he went through.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,007.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Ringo
The thing is in a world where throwing acid is a thing, don’t be surprised when someone shoots a thrower and is able to plead stand your ground. Throwing anything at anyone is probably not recommended.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why is Ngo not a journalist?

Also, he was assaulted and had to go to the hospital. The milkshake on him was only part of what he went through.

Just because someone writes stuff online doesn't make them a journalist. He has a history of setting up fake attacks to make himself a martyr: My imaginary cement milkshake brings all the Fash on Twitter

Pretty clear that this lie about cement in milkshakes is a face-saving maneuver to counteract the humiliation of being milkshaked (these people should try just...not being Nazis) and to get people killed.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The thing is in a world where throwing acid is a thing, don’t be surprised when someone shoots a thrower and is able to plead stand your ground. Throwing anything at anyone is probably not recommended.

That's the point of the whole thing: to use as an excuse to start shooting at anyone who might be holding a milkshake cup.

I find it funny that these people are supposed to be big manly men and the "master race", but they're scared of milkshakes.
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,654.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Just because someone writes stuff online doesn't make them a journalist. He has a history of setting up fake attacks to make himself a martyr: My imaginary cement milkshake brings all the Fash on Twitter
Ringo

Except writing stuff online about current events and reporting on it is the very definition of Journalist. The Op refers to an article by mother Jones, a leftwing website by people writing articles online. So literally anyone can be a journalist even if you find what they do distasteful (like I do of Mother Jones and the Liberals trying to defend what happened to Ngo as if he deserved it and Antifa isn't a problem). Journalism does not belong only to large media conglomerates.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Except writing stuff online about current events and reporting on it is the very definition of Journalist. The Op refers to an article by mother Jones, a leftwing website by people writing articles online. So literally anyone can be a journalist even if you find what they do distasteful (like I do of Mother Jones and the Liberals trying to defend what happened to Ngo as if he deserved it and Antifa isn't a problem). Journalism does not belong only to large media conglomerates.

1. Antifa isn't a problem. The Nazis they oppose are the problem.
2. You're right that journalism doesn't belong to big comglomerates, but writing about current events does not a "journalist" make.
3. When you're a Nazi who stirs trouble to make yourself out to be a victim, you deserve whatever milkshaking you get. No sympathy.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,654.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's the point of the whole thing: to use as an excuse to start shooting at anyone who might be holding a milkshake cup.

I find it funny that these people are supposed to be big manly men and the "master race", but they're scared of milkshakes.
Ringo
Is throwing milkshakes at your political and cultural opponents an appropriate and moral thing to do?

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,654.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
2. You're right that journalism doesn't belong to big comglomerates, but writing about current events does not a "journalist" make.
3. When you're a Nazi who stirs trouble to make yourself out to be a victim, you deserve whatever milkshaking you get. No sympathy.
Ringo

How is Ngo a Nazi?

Also, I think you overestimate the position of journalist. Maybe what you say was true once upon a time, but now that anyone can start a blog and take a camera and record and commentate over news and events, yes literally anyone can be a journalist or commentator. Ngo was recording Antifa, he was doing journalism even if what you think he was doing was wrong. Though I don't see how that gives Antifa the right to give him head injuries.

Do you support what happened to Ngo? Did he deserve it?

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How is Ngo a Nazi?

Also, I think you overestimate the position of journalist. Maybe what you say was true once upon a time, but now that anyone can start a blog and take a camera and record and commentate over news and events, yes literally anyone can be a journalist or commentator. Ngo was recording Antifa, he was doing journalism even if what you think he was doing was wrong. Though I don't see how that gives Antifa the right to give him head injuries.

Do you support what happened to Ngo? Did he deserve it?

Everyone who is recording something does not a "journalist" make either.

The milkshake? Absolutely.

The assault that supposedly happened? Well, when you deliberately set up confrontations to make yourself a martyr, you probably shouldn't be surprised if you get a black eye.
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,654.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Everyone who is recording something does not a "journalist" make either.

The milkshake? Absolutely.

The assault that supposedly happened? Well, when you deliberately set up confrontations to make yourself a martyr, you probably shouldn't be surprised if you get a black eye.
Ringo

Was Ngo just recording for the sake of recording something or perhaps to document a certain event? Again, you might not like his specific type of Journalism but it doesn't make him or the people you take seriously non-journalists either. Even so, I could concede for the sake of argument that Ngo is not a journalist. Did he deserve to be assaulted? Apparently yes.

What do you mean deliberately set up confrontations? Do you mean that Antifa is violent and that Ngo shouldn't have gone to record them because he might risk getting attacked? That wouldn't jive too well with what you said earlier about Antifa not being a problem when compared to the Nazi menace. Or did Ngo do something to warrant the attack? What did he do?

Still, you haven't answered my question. Is Ngo a Nazi, did he deserve the beating he got? Given the nature of your replies thus far, I think you agree with Antifa attacking this gay Asian conservative.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single

One can readily find examples of Antifa members attacking Bernie Bros, elderly WWII vets, active-duty Marines, and others who are *not* so-called "Nazis" but rather innocent people who Antifa decided to go at.

That's the truth of it.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Was Ngo just recording for the sake of recording something or perhaps to document a certain event? Again, you might not like his specific type of Journalism but it doesn't make him or the people you take seriously non-journalists either. Even so, I could concede for the sake of argument that Ngo is not a journalist. Did he deserve to be assaulted? Apparently yes.

What do you mean deliberately set up confrontations? Do you mean that Antifa is violent and that Ngo shouldn't have gone to record them because he might risk getting attacked? That wouldn't jive too well with what you said earlier about Antifa not being a problem when compared to the Nazi menace. Or did Ngo do something to warrant the attack? What did he do?

Still, you haven't answered my question. Is Ngo a Nazi, did he deserve the beating he got? Given the nature of your replies thus far, I think you agree with Antifa attacking this gay Asian conservative.

I mean that as I posted earlier, Ngo was trying to set up confrontations to deliberately provoke people so that he could be portrayed as a victim.

If he doesn't want to be milkshaked, he should stop being a Nazi. It's really that simple.
Ringo

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One can readily find examples of Antifa members attacking Bernie Bros, elderly WWII vets, active-duty Marines, and others who are *not* so-called "Nazis" but rather innocent people who Antifa decided to go at.

That's the truth of it.

Yeah, all from right-wing sources that definitely have no stake in lying about antifa or their motives. No sir.

The truth is that people who wear swastikas, march down the street chanting "Jews will not replace us" and running protestors down in cars can expect to have milkshakes thrown at them. I'm not going to feel any sympathy for them.
Ringo

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Truth Counts

Jul 2, 2019
Wisconsin
✟7,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Pretty clear that this lie about cement in milkshakes is a face-saving maneuver to counteract the humiliation of being milkshaked (these people should try just...not being Nazis) and to get people killed.
Ringo

You're not being truthful. Did you see the video footage of Ngo being attacked? I did. There's no fake attack. Nor are his wounds (that you can see being inflicted) fake. Hospital reports injuries, including brain hemorrhage.
Where's the evidence of Ngo being a Nazi? And that he tries to or wants to get people killed? Evidence?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.