Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The House passed a bill Thursday that would raise the federal minimum wage for the first time in a decade -- but there's little chance the measure will be taken up in the Republican-controlled Senate.

The House vote was 231-199.

The Raise the Wage Act would bring the federal minimum wage up gradually from $7.25 to $15 by 2025. After that year, the rate will be indexed to the median hourly wage of all workers.

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The House passed a bill Thursday that would raise the federal minimum wage for the first time in a decade -- but there's little chance the measure will be taken up in the Republican-controlled Senate.

The Raise the Wage Act would bring the federal minimum wage up gradually from $7.25 to $15 by 2025. After that year, the rate will be indexed to the median hourly wage of all workers.
But that will be disastrous. Have you seen the unemployment stats for Seattle lately?:rolleyes:

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
But that will be disastrous. Have you seen the unemployment stats for Seattle lately?:rolleyes:
Actually I have.
Seattle_unemployment.png

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Let’s see how the Senate responds.

Don't hold your breath. Mitch is still ignoring just about everything the House passes. For sure, this one will get double ignored.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
On the merits, I don't know that more than doubling the existing federal minimum wage is such a fantastic idea -- applying the conditions of Seattle, New Jersey, or California to the whole nation.

But since it hasn't risen in 10 years, and its value has dropped something like 20% over that span, it's definitely time for a significant increase.

• Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On the merits, I don't know that more than doubling the existing federal minimum wage is such a fantastic idea -- applying the conditions of Seattle, New Jersey, or California to the whole nation.

But since it hasn't risen in 10 years, and its value has dropped something like 20% over that span, it's definitely time for a significant increase.
$15 doesn't even get it to where it should be.....

• Agree
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
$15 doesn't even get it to where it should be.....

Where should it be?

The second link in the OP is interesting. It shows how the minimum wage has changed, including inflation effects. The highest it's ever been was in 1968, when it was worth $11.55 in today's money.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where should it be?

The second link in the OP is interesting. It shows how the minimum wage has changed, including inflation effects. The highest it's ever been was in 1968, when it was worth $11.55 in today's money.
This link shows that it should be about 20 based on production. I think it should be higher based on inflation.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Lol 2025?? By then it'll probably need to be 18-20$....

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Don't hold your breath. Mitch is still ignoring just about everything the House passes. For sure, this one will get double ignored.

Politically....I think it would be a smart move to pass it. They aren't really doing anything about wealth inequality...which is a serious problem....and this is a move that if played well, stands a chance of grabbing the center during the next election.

You're right though...I won't hold my breath.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politically....I think it would be a smart move to pass it. They aren't really doing anything about wealth inequality...

The GOP has spent a long time convincing its working poor members that raising minimum wages will cost them their jobs. They may be committed to their position (and many of their rich donors will expect that).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

That is true. Seattle already had a very strong economy. The one local news story of a business failing due to it fell apart when investigated. It was more of a case of where the owner was trying to get out of the box before it even passed.

But the idea of workers being paid a living wage is not a bad one.

Upvote 0