Hot, Lukewarm and Cold Christians

Anna the Seeker

Oct 27, 2014
✟8,980.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think we all know what "lukewarm" means - it's basically a Christian who claims the title of a Christian, but in his heart doesn't really care about it's values.

But what about "hot" and "cold" then?

You can tell how you see it, but here's what I think: Like fire, hot is a Christian who's really passionate and outward about their faith, and like ice, cold is someone who stays put about their faith and won't let others change or stir their views, but won't speak about it too often either.

Reactions: Salem

Salem

May 6, 2016
Undisclosed
✟8,044.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think we all know what "lukewarm" means - it's basically a Christian who claims the title of a Christian, but in his heart doesn't really care about it's values.

But what about "hot" and "cold" then?

You can tell how you see it, but here's what I think: Like fire, hot is a Christian who's really passionate and outward about their faith, and like ice, cold is someone who stays put about their faith and won't let others change or stir their views, but won't speak about it too often either.

Yes, I think the hot would be those with a lot of zeal, hungry for God, wanting to spend time on the things of God, the cold sluggish, perhaps with more carnality, spend less time on the the things of God, maybe like sports too much, maybe read their Bibles less, things like that, but believe the cold at least authentic in their faith. On the other hand, the lukewarm Laodiceans are self sufficient, covetous of things, of wealth, have some sort of religion of carnal and material focus, think they're all that, don't need anything: it almost sounds like they're just some partying church. They're not described in authentic Christian terms, in any case, no humble repentance, no focus on things spiritual and eternal, a focus on now, almost like their attitude is why do we need God, anyway, when there's money? The Lord goes on to describe their utter spiritual poverty. I always get a picture of some of these prosperity gospel services, with people dancing in the aisles that God is about to send them a Cadillac.

I have found the cold terminology mysterious over the years, have mused before whether the Lord is saying He can at least respect somebody who has made up their mind against Him, isn't playing games with lukewarm religion, they at least don't make Him want to vomit, as cold seems the other far end of the spectrum, opposite on fire, alive, for God. Cold seems pretty dead. But this doesn't make sense that the Lord would prefer that sort of cold, in any real sense. So, I mainly threw out that notion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Presumably, you are referring to the passage in the Bible,

I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:15-16, 1984 NIV)

If Jesus is about to spit the lukewarm out of his mouth, the cold must be in even worse shape (if nothing is done).

The two following verses (Rev. 3:17-18) express that the lukewarm are deceived about how they stand with God. They are spiritually empty. They need to be faithful to Jesus even if it causes them to suffer. This will open their eyes to see (perceive the Truth) and give them true riches.

The next verse (Rev. 3:19) tells us that the lukewarm are sinning and need to accept what the Lord has for them even thought it is painful, and repent.

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 7:21, 1984 NIV) This verse can be seen as being about lukewarm people.

The lukewarm can sometimes be in worse shape than unbelievers, because as a result of believing that everything is OK between God and them, they do not see any need to seek God any further. Challenging them to move forward in their faith would be easy for them to ignore as unnecessary ("it was written to other people, not me"), so it's no wonder Jesus used extreme language.

This passage in Revelation was written to lukewarm people, so presumably they had an idea "cold" meant, without being cold themselves. An oversimplification might be that it is just a reference to unbelievers who recognize they have not entrusted themselves to Jesus Christ.

If people are "cold," there is the hope that they will self-destruct badly enough that they will seek "even" God for help. One example of church discipline to help someone who was "cold" that wouldn't have been appropriate for someone lukewarm might have been:

hand this man over to Satan, so that the sinful nature may be destroyed and his spirit saved on the day of the Lord. (bold mine, 1 Corinthians 5:5, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another way to express it is speaking of extremes ---hot or cold. God is more tolerant of either one, than one who is a pretender. Hot seems to be "righteous overmuch" as God says ---a zealot or legalist Christian (which is without the love of God and caring for lost souls); and Cold seems to speak of one who cares not for the things of God or even a resolute Atheist or Agnostic (which speaks of ones who have taken a clear stand). The Lukewarm one is a pretender and carnal, which dishonors God. That seems to me about the thought.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't believe there are such things as lukewarm or cold Christians. There are only Christians who are fully dedicated because they are led by the Spirit, and those who fake it with a label attached. I know plenty of people that go to church simply because it was how they were raised, because it's socially acceptable, or because their parents pressure them into doing so. I wonder how many people go to church simply and solely to worship God? Just my .02.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
But it says in the bible, so there must be.
It will have symbolic meaning. Lukewarm seems to me meaning half hearted. Nominal christians would be in this category. What works do they do..well, maybe they just go to church and sing the words but dont actually mean them or believe them.

Hot and cold are extremes. I think its like the tea because Jesus says I will spue thee out of my mouth.

It would be interesting if there was a list of HOT deeds and COLD deeds just to have an idea of what Jesus meant. If someone has the orginal greek maybe they can find out what the translation is.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Bible never labels the lukewarm people as Christians--followers of Christ.

Here's a cold deed for us to consider: Sitting around posting on an internet forum while there are people starving outside.

IM GUILTY!

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe there are such things as lukewarm or cold Christians. There are only Christians who are fully dedicated because they are led by the Spirit, and those who fake it with a label attached. I know plenty of people that go to church simply because it was how they were raised, because it's socially acceptable, or because their parents pressure them into doing so. I wonder how many people go to church simply and solely to worship God? Just my .02.

God says there ARE such people, so we must start from that. He will "spue out" such who are "lukewarm" more than the "Hot" or the "cold", though He disdains the extremists, I see. That was the problem in the Laodicean assembly (and is so common in our present day). He is not pleased with the self-righteous ones and the "holier than thou" ones, nor the cold and carnal ones who live for self, but He truly does not like the indifference of those "who have a name to live, and are dead", and are deceitful and do not show the love of God and honor God in their life ---would you say? When one reads the whole thought at Rev. 3:14-19 we see the differences.

Some have also described this portion as HOT meaning properly zealous for God, and COLD as taking a stand for personal indulgence over a Godly path, but we should at least see the meaning of being faithful over extremes, I believe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jesus was speaking to the church, so they were christians. It was the church of laodecia that was lukewarm. You cant be in a church if you arent a believer.. But..the test is whether you are faithful and true. Not whether you merely believe.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It seems to me that laodacian church, in that passage were rebuked because they were comfortable and they didnt need anything.

They were told to DO something. Buy gold and clothing. From Him.
So maybe it was like the church that left their first love. Maybe they were ignoring Jesus!

Upvote 0