Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
No---so says scripture! It is too bad you do not let it determine your believes instead of JS.
Please show the Bible verse that states that Jesus was never human. He had flesh blood and bones. His mother was human. He grew from an baby to a man:
(New Testament | Luke 2:52)

52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

• Agree
Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
It is in the Bible. Check Hebrews 11:3: Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Furthermore Genesis 1 plainly teaches that. Every time "God said" He created something out of nothing. So if you don't even believe this fundamental fact, you don't really believe the Bible.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.

9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.

26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

He is the way said:
It states that God said and then created. You are the one who added out of nothing. Matter had to always exist because God is not nothing and He has always existed. Your reasoning is not Biblical.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Please show the Bible verse that states that Jesus was never human. He had flesh blood and bones. His mother was human. He grew from an baby to a man:
(New Testament | Luke 2:52)

52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

Jesus was not human BEFORE THE INCARNATION!! He and God were one before the incarnation--after He became human, He and God the Father were no longer of the same substance for Jesus BECAME HUMAN--while His Father did not and never was. They were one, not human before the incarnation---after Jesus, though still retaining His divinity even in His humanity, became a glorified human, but remains different now from the Father for His Father NEVER WAS HUMAN.

Psa_8:5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
Heb_2:7 Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:
Heb_2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Eternally God? Or did one or all "become" God?

In Mormonism everyone always existed. Everyone can become a God conditioned upon absolute obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Mormon church.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
(New Testament | Romans 8:16 - 18)

16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
(New Testament | Philippians 3:14 - 15)

14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

You've changed the subject. We're talking about the contradiction between Mormonism saying that Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are not equal and then claiming that the Saints will be equal with God.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
(This question is not the best worded.... my apologies, I hope you understand what I'm asking)
Your talking about God here also including talk about man. Is that necessity? Or, in other words, is God defined by contrasting to man?
I think I know what you are trying to say. When we discuss God, we end up comparing each other's constructs that we think are most likely true. If we conceptualize God according to a traditional construct then those are sized up and the whole thing boils down to a 'my God is bigger than your God" fiasco.

If you mean a more emotional spiritual discussion about God doing this in my life or how this person or that one sees God moving in the world and such, those discussions are so subjective and conceptually dependent on a personal view of God it's almost imperative that God be of a shared belief system. If not you'll inevitably hear " My god wouldn't do that".
There can be a constructive discussion if all participants are cognizant of this characteristic of Truth. Truth exposes error by contrast. If that is recognized, error doesn't have to be verbally pointed out because error will systematically lose it's voice as it's proponent comprehends it's exposed.

Your gist is correct here. An epistemological note here though: LDS theology isn't decided by theologians, rather received via revelation (speaking from the LDS perspective). It is a fundamental tenet of LDS beliefs that God has many great things He hasn't revealed. It's a very different approach than Creedal Christianity.
Well we all have a theology even if it's a theology that negates the reality of God. The Mormon guy I talked to said that theology wasn't formalized but the Mormon Church did have theologians and a theology that is studied. At the time, DNA research was hitting them hard relative to J. Smith's teaching that all the indigenous people of South america were the lost tribe of Israel.

Thank you for sharing your perspective here. From my own view, I find Creedal Trinitarianism views to be incredibly confusing, despite studying it for many years. I just... with all due respect the discussions all seem to eventually come down to me being told something along the lines of "it's a mystery, it's not supposed to be understood- just accept it" or reaching beyond scripture's words.
Yeah that threshold is often a variable that adjusts to how much that person understands. You can usually tell too that the conversation was based, at least partly, on an emotional need to convince.

Still, despite this confusion on both parties here, I'm happy to celebrate love of Christ with other Christians as brothers/sisters. I love visiting other churches- like last Easter was spent at an Evangelical church. That's actually why I joined CF in the first place: to celebrate Christ and have respectful interfaith dialogue.
That sounds nice. I hope you are able to do that. You'll need intellectual honesty, transparency, some emotional detachment and the ability transcend personified identity attached to faith. Which goes like this;You're not Jane you are Mormon. I'm not Eloy I'm Catholicism. I hope you know what I mean.

Neither does scripture mention the substance of God but the Nicene Creed does. They say Joseph Smith made things up, but many of their beliefs are not Biblical. Where did the belief come from that God created the universe out of nothing? It is not in the Bible.
you are right it's not explicit, the idea is implied such as
John 1:3
3 All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being. What has come into being.

God's name as revealed to Moses " I am that I am." God is existence. This concept of God leads to the act of creation out of nothing or God created everything from his own....stuff.. Hindu theology is based on that idea which leads to Pantheism. Believing everything is God. Creation ex nihilo allows for God to be present everywhere without everything being God. It stands to reason that by definition creation is out of nothing. If it is creating out of stuff that already exists it's just refashioning stuff.
Jane, thank you so much for asking those questions and I wish you the Lord's choicest blessings.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello dear Mormon friend. Well I can tell by the way you wrote con-substantial you don't understand the terms usage. Sub-stance= under-stand= stand-under. It's a more real structure that everything we can detect with our senses depends on to exist. It goes, and everything we are able to observe goes with it. The Trinity is three divine persons one in being. For God, that is consubstantial that is essence and the nature of God. That is not the case for created beings. Uncreated creator, have always been (eternal nature exclusive to God). Only God can say "I have always been". These are, in as much as we can know, the one substance that all three divine persons are. This isn't the Trinity of the Mormon faith. The creator of all that is, that can say " I have always been" for Mormons, has not been resolved by their theologians. One of whom I was able to have an honest exchange of ideas.. Mormon Trinitarian theology is an infinite regress that Mormon theologians haven't resolved.

That unresolved theology is at the core of what bothers me when Mormons discuss the Trinity as the same Trinity I believe in. Same words but not of the same substance at all. The Mormon Trinity of beings are not one in being and can't be one being any more than two humans can be, theologically speaking.
Having one will among three persons requires some kind of.....yeah I'll say it, ontological oneness. A unified will theologically requires a oneness that Mormon theology hasn't posited. So, theologically we can't really talk about Jesus as if we are talking about the same person. Theologically they are two persons with names that sound the same.

To my Mormon ears that's a lot of gobbledygook and so un-biblical.

consubstantial isn't a Bible term

• Agree
Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To my Mormon ears that's a lot of gobbledygook and so un-biblical.

consubstantial isn't a Bible term
Well, you have to keep in mind that, like any language you have to know gobbledygookian to know if it's a good translation or not. When we pronounce the name Jesus, do you believe Jesus ever heard Himself called that? That is a translation of a translation that to Jesus' Jewish ears would have been gobbledygook. I'll show you Jesus teaching that He is consubstantial with the Father.

John 14
8 Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied.” 9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?

That is a oneness that doesn't have a word to express it precisely, but the gobbledygookian word 'consubstantial' comes closer to it than any other word.

John 14
10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me?

In gobbledygookian that might be: "Do you not believe that I and the Father are consubstantial?"

The words in the bible are symbols that are transitory and subjective, it's the 'sub-stance' under the words, that words are mere symbols of, that is objective and changeless truth.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was not human BEFORE THE INCARNATION!! He and God were one before the incarnation--after He became human, He and God the Father were no longer of the same substance for Jesus BECAME HUMAN--while His Father did not and never was. They were one, not human before the incarnation---after Jesus, though still retaining His divinity even in His humanity, became a glorified human, but remains different now from the Father for His Father NEVER WAS HUMAN.

Psa_8:5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
Heb_2:7 Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:
Heb_2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
Yes Jesus was made a little lower than the angels. How does these scriptures support your belief that the Father was never human? Jesus said:
(New Testament | John 5:19)

19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You've changed the subject. We're talking about the contradiction between Mormonism saying that Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are not equal and then claiming that the Saints will be equal with God.
Being equal to God does not mean equal in every way. Jesus said:
(New Testament | John 14:28)

28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
Even though the Father is greater Jesus is still equal to God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
3 All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being. What has come into being.

God's name as revealed to Moses " I am that I am." God is existence. This concept of God leads to the act of creation out of nothing or God created everything from his own....stuff.. Hindu theology is based on that idea which leads to Pantheism. Believing everything is God. Creation ex nihilo allows for God to be present everywhere without everything being God. It stands to reason that by definition creation is out of nothing. If it is creating out of stuff that already exists it's just refashioning stuff.
It stands to reason that God is not made out of nothing. Therefore there has always been an existence of something. There is also the law of conservation of matter. Did God create Adam out of nothing?:
(Old Testament | Genesis 1:27)

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
The word created does not mean out of nothing. That is why I find this belief to be erroneous.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Well, you have to keep in mind that, like any language you have to know gobbledygookian to know if it's a good translation or not. When we pronounce the name Jesus, do you believe Jesus ever heard Himself called that? That is a translation of a translation that to Jesus' Jewish ears would have been gobbledygook. I'll show you Jesus teaching that He is consubstantial with the Father.

John 14
8 Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied.” 9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?

That is a oneness that doesn't have a word to express it precisely, but the gobbledygookian word 'consubstantial' comes closer to it than any other word.

John 14
10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me?

In gobbledygookian that might be: "Do you not believe that I and the Father are consubstantial?"

The words in the bible are symbols that are transitory and subjective, it's the 'sub-stance' under the words, that words are mere symbols of, that is objective and changeless truth.
John 14:8 could mean that Jesus is in the express image of the Father. Not that He is of the same substance. However the way I see it, if they were of the same substance they would both have resurrected spiritual bodies. Every living person has a differing concept of God. Our concept of God has nothing to do with exaltation. This scripture is about exaltation:
(Old Testament | Ecclesiastes 12:13 - 14)

13 ¶ Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Being equal to God does not mean equal in every way. Jesus said:
(New Testament | John 14:28)

28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
Even though the Father is greater Jesus is still equal to God.

Nothing has a dictionary meaning in Mormonism. Someone can refute your erroneous teachings and the answer is, "Oh, that's not what those words mean!"

Equal and greater are NOT the same. 7 > 6. 3 + 3 = 6. 3 + 4 > 6.

• Agree
Reactions: twin.spin
Upvote 0

twin.spin

Trust the LORD and not on your own understanding
May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Nothing has a dictionary meaning in Mormonism. Someone can refute your erroneous teachings and the answer is, "Oh, that's not what those words mean!"

"That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him." John 5:23​

The Father is honored when worshipped ... what does that reveal when Mormon theology rejects the worship of Jesus?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I think I know what you are trying to say. When we discuss God, we end up comparing each other's constructs that we think are most likely true. If we conceptualize God according to a traditional construct then those are sized up and the whole thing boils down to a 'my God is bigger than your God" fiasco.

If you mean a more emotional spiritual discussion about God doing this in my life or how this person or that one sees God moving in the world and such, those discussions are so subjective and conceptually dependent on a personal view of God it's almost imperative that God be of a shared belief system. If not you'll inevitably hear " My god wouldn't do that".
There can be a constructive discussion if all participants are cognizant of this characteristic of Truth. Truth exposes error by contrast. If that is recognized, error doesn't have to be verbally pointed out because error will systematically lose it's voice as it's proponent comprehends it's exposed.
I don't my question properly conveyed- which was my shortcoming, not yours, so I apologize for it. Let me trying asking a different way:
LDS view God as sovereign. He is what He is, regardless of whom anyone else is. It doesn't matter who we are at any point in time-- God is who He is, in no way dependent on us. So if I'm talking about God, I don't usually talk about man cause we don't matter in that regard (who He is doesn't depend on who we are). I just say "God is X".

I noticed in your explanations all incorporated man along the lines of "God is X, man is Y", which to me implied some dependence (instead of just saying "God is X" and leaving it at that). Hence, I was wondering why that was.
Well we all have a theology...
The point of my comment was that LDS theologians don't decide LDS theology, in response to your comment along the lines of "LDS theologians haven't really decided this" (pardon my laziness for not fetching the exact quote).
That sounds nice. I hope you are able to do that. You'll need intellectual honesty, transparency, some emotional detachment and the ability transcend personified identity attached to faith. Which goes like this;You're not Jane you are Mormon. I'm not Eloy I'm Catholicism. I hope you know what I mean.
I get what you mean. I just like to see people who they are, ditching filters and stereotypes.

How do you feel about something which is viewed as so critical to being a Christian is only implied in the Bible?
Jane, thank you so much for asking those questions and I wish you the Lord's choicest blessings.
:) To you as well!

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Let's look at the example of Christ:
Before the earth was made: 100% God in Goodness, righteousness, justice, etc
After being born of Mary: still 100% God in Goodness, righteousness, justice, etc. But also having a flawed human body that hungers, feels pain, etc. He also experiences these things and leads by example, and exercise compassion and His mission.
After resurrection: still 100% God in Goodness, righteousness, justice, etc. But also now a resurrected glorified body and has ascended to His Father. He is more than before.

Throughout this whole time, you always have 100% God in Goodness, righteousness, justice, etc. But there's changing of form and growing that way.

Does that make sense?
Of course it makes sense. But His becoming "God" would not.
Do you consider Christ a demi-god for having lived a mortal life?
No - nor have I said so.

If He had not been fully God while being fully human - then yes I would consider Him a demi-god even now.

But He was fully God as well as fully man.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Matter has always existed and it is not God. Jesus went from a higher estate to a lower estate then back to a higher estate and He is not a demi-god.
Matter has not always existed. God spoke it into being.

No one has said that Jesus is a demi-god.

Had He not been fully God as well as full man while He live here with us - then yes He would be a demi-god even now.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

So which is it? Clearly God the Father is greater than Jesus or Jesus is lying, but Jesus does not lie, therefore the Father is greater. Yet we know that Jesus is God. That means that Jesus is equal to God and yet the Father is greater. Do you believe what the Bible states? Also do you know that they are different:
(New Testament | Matthew 24:36)

36 ¶ But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
(New Testament | Matthew 12:32)

32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
They are one God and yet have some differences.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
"That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him." John 5:23​

The Father is honored when worshipped ... what does that reveal when Mormon theology rejects the worship of Jesus?
We don't reject worship of Jesus:
(Book of Mormon | 3 Nephi 19:18 - 23)

18 And behold, they began to pray; and they did pray unto Jesus, calling him their Lord and their God.
19 And it came to pass that Jesus departed out of the midst of them, and went a little way off from them and bowed himself to the earth, and he said:
20 Father, I thank thee that thou hast given the Holy Ghost unto these whom I have chosen; and it is because of their belief in me that I have chosen them out of the world.
21 Father, I pray thee that thou wilt give the Holy Ghost unto all them that shall believe in their words.
22 Father, thou hast given them the Holy Ghost because they believe in me; and thou seest that they believe in me because thou hearest them, and they pray unto me; and they pray unto me because I am with them.
23 And now Father, I pray unto thee for them, and also for all those who shall believe on their words, that they may believe in me, that I may be in them as thou, Father, art in me, that we may be one.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.