Brisbane
✟60,805.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I haven't been part of this forum for very long, I came here to engage with other christians and learn more about the different denominations within christianity. I have noticed a lot of animosity between the LDS group and christianity in general, as divided as baptists, SDA and catholics (and every other christian denomination) are about doctrine we all seem to agree that the LDS church is hostile and the LDS church think all other churches are hostile towards them.

While I do not support this hostility from either side of the fence, I do think its important that we try to understand the core reasoning of why this happens.

The LDS church have a problem being told that the rest of christianity doesn't accept them as christians. I can understand that this would upset them, whether their doctrine is right or wrong, they think they are following christ so its understandable that this would be a trigger of defensive behaviour.

What I think the LDS members don't understand is that the very basis of their religion accuses every other denomination of not being christians. After all, according to the LDS other churches are 'an abomination'(especially the catholic church!), they believe they are the only 'true and living church on the face of the earth' and the only church with the proper authority to baptise people.

This belief system automatically renders every other christian church wrong. All our baptisms are classed in valid and we can never be in the presence of God and Jesus (unless we accept mormon baptism when we die and go though the entire LDS exaltation process from the spirit world). Without a valid baptism we are not christians so the LDS church is calling all other denominations not real christians whether they admit it or not. Its highly insulting to tell a christian that their baptism really wasn't the real deal, and if you're going to say that then, well you should have some very serious black and white, documented, hard core evidence to back that statement up.

LDS members need to understand that this is going to make people furious before they even start any sort of debate with mainstream christians. Not to mention that LDS only make up 1% of the christian population, so if thats the best God can do to convert his people to 'true christianity' then one would have to agree he's missing the mark.

I'd love to hear others opinions on this matter, especially any ex-LDS who have lived both sides of this situation.

Reactions: Tomm

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There are several Christians here who fit that bill (ex-LDS), such as Phoebe Ann and NYCGuy. (I'm hoping mentioning them will get them notifications for this thread, as occasionally happens for me when someone else mentions me in their posts, though I'm not tech savvy enough to know how to guarantee that.)

Also, there are approximately 2.3 billion Christians in the world, so 1% of them would be 23 million. There are only 16 million Mormons in the world, so they're considerably less than 1%. Not that truth is in any way measured by numbers, but the true numbers only underline your point even further.

Upvote 0

Catholic4Jesus

Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2018
Brisbane
✟60,805.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There are several Christians here who fit that bill (ex-LDS), such as Phoebe Ann and NYCGuy. (I'm hoping mentioning them will get them notifications for this thread, as occasionally happens for me when someone else mentions me in their posts, though I'm not tech savvy enough to know how to guarantee that.)

Also, there are approximately 2.3 billion Christians in the world, so 1% of them would be 23 million. There are only 16 million Mormons in the world, so they're considerably less than 1%. Not that truth is in any way measured by numbers, but the true numbers only underline your point even further.

Apologies! I was supposed to say 'less than 1%'. the total 1% had a couple of other denominations mentioned in it. Hopefully Phoebe Ann and NYCGuy see this thread and chime in with their opinions and experiences

Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I haven't been part of this forum for very long, I came here to engage with other christians and learn more about the different denominations within christianity. I have noticed a lot of animosity between the LDS group and christianity in general, as divided as baptists, SDA and catholics (and every other christian denomination) are about doctrine we all seem to agree that the LDS church is hostile and the LDS church think all other churches are hostile towards them.

While I do not support this hostility from either side of the fence, I do think its important that we try to understand the core reasoning of why this happens.

The LDS church have a problem being told that the rest of christianity doesn't accept them as christians. I can understand that this would upset them, whether their doctrine is right or wrong, they think they are following christ so its understandable that this would be a trigger of defensive behaviour.

What I think the LDS members don't understand is that the very basis of their religion accuses every other denomination of not being christians. After all, according to the LDS other churches are 'an abomination'(especially the catholic church!), they believe they are the only 'true and living church on the face of the earth' and the only church with the proper authority to baptise people.

This belief system automatically renders every other christian church wrong. All our baptisms are classed in valid and we can never be in the presence of God and Jesus (unless we accept mormon baptism when we die and go though the entire LDS exaltation process from the spirit world). Without a valid baptism we are not christians so the LDS church is calling all other denominations not real christians whether they admit it or not. Its highly insulting to tell a christian that their baptism really wasn't the real deal, and if you're going to say that then, well you should have some very serious black and white, documented, hard core evidence to back that statement up.

LDS members need to understand that this is going to make people furious before they even start any sort of debate with mainstream christians. Not to mention that LDS only make up 1% of the christian population, so if thats the best God can do to convert his people to 'true christianity' then one would have to agree he's missing the mark.

I'd love to hear others opinions on this matter, especially any ex-LDS who have lived both sides of this situation.

I really don't understand why terms like "hostility" are used, when some Christians point out unbiblical teachings that some groups adhere to, that are contrary to the Teachings of the Holy Bible? We should be able to accept "rebuke" and "correction", as well as "praise"; and thank the Lord for sending others into our lives to correct us, and humbly accept it, if we are wrong, even if it means that we have to abandon life-long "traditions" that are Scriptually wrong, and accept the Word of God as the ONLY and FINAL Authority.

There are some denominations that say they accept the "Authority" of the Holy Bible, but ALSO hold that their Church "traditions" are of equal value. They reject "Sola Scriptura", because it challenges their "traditions", which include some "doctrines" that are not in the 66 Books of what makes the Holy Bible. Take this website also as an example, where anyone who were to challenge the "Statement of Faith", which is a man-made "creed", for some of its unbiblical language, they would probably get warned, and even banned! Why? because the "tradition" of these man-made "creeds" is to some as important as the Holy Bible is, and any words against them, however right they might be, are met with strong opposition and hostility, as though the very Word of Almighty God is being questioned! Such is the thinking of some people, sadly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Apologies! I was supposed to say 'less than 1%'. the total 1% had a couple of other denominations mentioned in it. Hopefully Phoebe Ann and NYCGuy see this thread and chime in with their opinions and experiences

No big deal. :) LDS here don't usually argue from numbers anyway (thankfully), unless it's about why their church is the 'true' church as opposed to one of the other Mormon sects (of which there are quite a few).

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I am an LDS lady married to an Evangelical/non-denom dude. Vast majority of my friends are non-LDS. I love visiting other churches, and try to make it to like 5-10 non-LDS groups a year-- like this last easter I spent at very Evangelical church. I do this not because I'm looking to find faith elsewhere, but because I like to see the people other places and hear their love of God. Such brings me great joy, understanding, and increases my love of them. I'm part of CF and many other religious forums because I so enjoy seeing and talking with other peoples of other faiths.

My last great IRL conversation was Thursday with my generic Christian best friend, wherein we talked about her love of Christ transforming her and changing her heart to be... (Jane's trying to find the words...) she naturally has a lot of temper control issues. Other the last year she's grown a lot closer to Christ and that change of heart has really dissolved this traditional issue here (we've chatted about it many times over the last year). I've also visited her megachurch several times, and listen to the their on the rare times I have some quiet at work. I in turned talked to my friend about views on lie and death, having recently go through a personal loss.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
(Now responding specifically to the first post here. Catholic4Jesus, I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to rearrange your OP a little to make my response more logical).
The LDS church have a problem being told that the rest of christianity doesn't accept them as christians.
Yes, I do not enjoy having my relationship with Christ systematically denied. My relationship with Christ-- my love of Him-- is the core of who I am. To deny that is... to deny me.
What I think the LDS members don't understand is that the very basis of their religion accuses every other denomination of not being christians.
Actually, LDS folks gladly acknowledge your relationship with Christ and standings as a Christian-- such is to be celebrated!! I love my Christians friends!

It is true that LDS regard the LDS Church to be Christ's one True Church-- much like Catholics regards the Catholic Church to be His True Church and the Pope Christ's representative on this Earth. And there are disagreements about some aspects of theology, particularly the Creeds-- which are what the 'abomination' quote is referring to, not a person's relationship with Christ. Acknowledging a a person's very real and critical relationship with Christ, or to deny a person's right to practice their faith. In fact, such things are so important to LDS, it's literally our 11th Article of Faith: "We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may." Articles of Faith 1 All of the LDS forums I'm on welcome non-LDS posters and even have non-LDS mods.
All our baptisms are classed in valid and we can never be in the presence of God and Jesus (unless we accept mormon baptism when we die and go though the entire LDS exaltation process from the spirit world). Without a valid baptism we are not christians so the LDS church is calling all other denominations not real christians whether they admit it or not. Its highly insulting to tell a christian that their baptism really wasn't the real deal, and if you're going to say that then, well you should have some very serious black and white, documented, hard core evidence to back that statement up.
*Hard stop right there*
I'm an LDS lady, and I will tell you right now that my husband's Evangelical baptism was/is one of the most important moments in both our lives, transforming him into the man I love today. I would NEVER insult it as you did right here- your words are actually very offensive.

I also just spent Easter 2017 at my friend's/sister-in-law's Methodist church celebrating the baptism of my little baby niece.

The LDS disagreement on baptism authority is just that: a disagreement on *authority*. Just like your own disagreement with the idea of Evangelical/Methodist priest performing the Eucharist-- an authority issue. It is NOT a attack on the importance of another person's baptism, their relationship with Christ, or that commitment. LDS celebrate of folk's baptism as good events, even if there's disagreement on authority.
Again, LDS and non-LDS Christians can indeed live in peace. As I mentioned earlier, all the LDS forums I'm on welcome non-LDS posters and even have non-LDS mods.

However, CF is not such a place due to discrimination policies in place which make LDS folks second class citizens: forbidden to post in most of the forum, forbidden to start threads rejoicing in Christ, and instead segregated off to one sub-forum where we can only respond to people throwing rocks at us while trying to get us to adopt their faith. All while denying the very core of person's relationship with Christ. It causes a TON of resentment on CF. Not so in real life and other digital venues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I am not here to attack a single Mormon. God told us to love everyone. I do NOT resent Mormons but because I compare Mormonism to the Bible, I've been accused of misrepresenting their religion. I lived Mormonism from the moment I started talking to their missionaries till my baptism 2 weeks and two days later, through my serious doubts a year later(when told that God's plan was for me to become a goddess), through trying to obey their commandments, no problem keeping the Word of Wisdom, paying a full tithe, attending meetings, visiting teaching, receiving home teachers, helping other members when possible, etc. My husband was a home teacher and I went with him to visit his assigned family; this family asked me to prepare a lesson for their children each visit which I gladly did. We had wonderful home teachers who visited regularly all those years. See my signature for more information.

Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Many LDS worry about discrimination and disagreements, and play the persecution card. But LDS don't even view all LDS on equal terms. Life isn't about us or the things people say about us. It's about Jesus and truth.

Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 2,
11 For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so, my firstborn in the wilderness, righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one; wherefore, if it should be one body it must needs remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility.

Bible, Matthew 10:22
And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

John 3
25Then there arose a question between some of John's disciples and the Jews about purifying.26And they came unto John, and said unto him, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou barest witness, behold, the same baptizeth, and all men come to him. 27John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven. 28Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him. 29He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled. 30He must increase, but I must decrease.
31He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: he that cometh from heaven is above all.

Love and peace to all. Pray for your friends and enemies. :heart::praying:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Mormonism is a very dangerous and soul damning cult. The first teaching of their "beliefs", is the God of the Bible, which is nothing short of blasphemy!

Well, the whole world lieth in wickedness, but 19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. (2 Timothy 2:16).

Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, the whole world lieth in wickedness, but 19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. (2 Timothy 2:16).

meaning exactly what?

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Many LDS worry about discrimination and disagreements, and play the persecution card. But LDS don't even view all LDS on equal terms. Life isn't about us or the things people say about us. It's about Jesus and truth.
And does that somehow make persecution or discrimination ok in your mind?

I don't find either of those to EVER be ok. Not against atheists, Muslims, Hindus, Wiccans, other Christians, etc.. Nothing ever justifies that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Mormonism is a very dangerous and soul damning cult. The first teaching of their "beliefs", is the God of the Bible, which is nothing short of blasphemy!

How is it soul damning? Believing it would be the problem, but God leads people out. I think we should consider our approach to the topic. People who know and love the word Christian Bible Avatar.gif of God will not be trapped by it.

God bless.

• Agree
Reactions: St. Helens
Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How is it soul damning? Believing it would be the problem, but God leads people out. I think we should consider our approach to the topic. People who know and love the word View attachment 227468 of God will not be trapped by it.

God bless.

You say that you were a Mormon? Do you then believe that the Mormons teaching of God is Biblically correct? If it is not, then it can only be heretical, and in which case, those believing in a false God, are damned for doing so.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You say that you were a Mormon? Do you then believe that the Mormons teaching of God is Biblically correct? If it is not, then it can only be heretical, and in which case, those believing in a false God, are damned for doing so.

Well, they wouldn't believe that if God brought them out. Right? It isn't Mormonism that sends people to hell. It's not having the new birth and following the Shepherd. People can avoid all religions and still go to hell. Some Mormons come out and become atheists. I didn't necessarily believe the Mormon teachings about God as a Mormon. God brought me out.

• Agree
Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, they wouldn't believe that if God brought them out. Right? It isn't Mormonism that sends people to hell. It's not having the new birth and following the Shepherd. People can avoid all religions and still go to hell. Some Mormons come out and become atheists. I didn't necessarily believe the Mormon teachings about God as a Mormon. God brought me out.

Like the JW's Mormon teachings are heresy and cannot lead a person to the Truth of the Holy Bible. Praise the Lord that He saved you

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.