Visit site
✟15,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I realize that many Christians think that Horror is not of God, but there are those of us who are forced to disagree even if we solely base our understanding on the book of Revelation. In the English language, during the latter part of the 18th century through about the middle of the 20th, a number of Christians became popular Horror writers. These include, but certainly are not limited to, Charles Dickens, JS Le Fanu, Bram Stoker, and MR James. I believe that there are enough Christians worldwide who love the Horror genre enough to want a forum where books, films, and even music can be discussed. There is a real chance here to minister to Christians who may be in bondage to false teachings about Horror or in bondage to the wrong kinds of Horror literature and films.

Last edited:

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I realize that many Christians thank that Horror is not of God, but there are those of us who are forced to disagree even if we solely base our understanding on the book of Revelation. In the English language, during the latter part of the 18th century through about the middle of the 20th, a number of Christians became popular Horror writers. These include, but certainly are not limited to, Charles Dickens, JS Le Fanu, Bram Stoker, and MR James. I believe that there are enough Christians worldwide who love the Horror genre enough to want a forum where books, films, and even music can be discussed. There is a real chance here to minister to Christians who may be in bondage to false teachings about Horror or in bondage to the wrong kinds of Horror literature and films.

I feel like you could take a lot of the Old Testament and make horror stories out of it, albeit ones that make God seem like the villain.

Upvote 0

Beorh

Writer of Dark Literature
Sep 2, 2017
Saint Augustine
Visit site
✟15,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Best keep Fantasy where it belongs. Away from Godly minded people.

Would you be one of those "Godly minded people"? You also seem to be Catholic, which I am as well--more than Protestant by a long stretch. Being Catholic, then, why would you disagree with a study of the holiness of God saving us from sin? Because that is just what Horror is. Nothing more.

Upvote 0

Beorh

Sep 2, 2017
Saint Augustine
Visit site
✟15,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel like you could take a lot of the Old Testament and make horror stories out of it, albeit ones that make God seem like the villain.

Agreed :) And the key, I think, would be "seem like a villain." But, there are plenty of other Horror stories in the OT. Jael and her tent spike, the conflagration of Sodom and Gomorrah, even the Serpent talking to Mother Eve--the very source of evil in the world.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agreed :) And the key, I think, would be "seem like a villain." But, there are plenty of other Horror stories in the OT. Jael and her tent spike, the conflagration of Sodom and Gomorrah, even the Serpent talking to Mother Eve--the very source of evil in the world.
What about the story of the concubine who was cut up into 7 pieces and sent to all the tribes of Isreal by sea? That was a very interesting story.

But like the various films, we must consider that maybe some of stories were written to relay a message and not to be viewed as just story.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Beorh

Sep 2, 2017
Saint Augustine
Visit site
✟15,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What about the story of the concubine who was cut up into 7 pieces and sent to all the tribes of Isreal by sea? That was a very interesting story.

But like the various films, we must consider that the maybe some of story were written to relay a message and not to be view as just story.

Yes! Interesting and terrifying! Thanks for the reminder :)

And if you mean the Horror stories of the Bible, they were indeed written to convey a message. That is just my argument for Horror literature in general. Frankenstein comes to mind just now.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I read horror lit and watch horror movies, but I don't see a place for them exclusively on CF. For one thing, a lot of it wouldn't fall into the PG13 guidelines of the forum when being discussed, and I don't see a high enough demand/discussion to give them their own place. You can bring up book topics in the Book Area, Book Club and for movies, The Box Office. Most of the movies mentioned in the box office are Christian, but there are some secular discussions as well, including some horror movies.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've watched a lot of horror to be honest (ever since saturday night horror double bill in my childhood), and sometimes still do, but not so much now. I did often like and was terrified by the Dracula story translated to film. I'd guess though that the book is better. If there are horror stories which may have edifying message, then I think would be good to know about them, but i would suspect they are older ones.

I agree though with keeping it in Book Club and Box Office forums. I don't mind hearing godly minded comments on the subject, preferably when they are wise and informed, as long as they are not just lumping it all together and condemning.

Upvote 0