Hormones, surgery, regret: I was a transgender woman for 8 years- time I can't get back

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Dr. Paul McHugh chief of Psychiatry at Johns Hopkins from 1975 to 2001 has been consistent in saying it is a psychiatric issue. When he ended the sexual reassignment surgery program at Johns Hopkins he was visciously attacked and maligned.

But his resume speaks for itself.

Paul Rodney McHugh (born 1931) is an American psychiatrist, researcher, and educator. He is University Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine[1] and the author, co-author, or editor of seven books within his field.

Paul McHugh was born in Lawrence, Massachusetts, the son of a Lowell High School teacher and a homemaker.[2][3] He graduated from Harvard College in 1952 and from Harvard Medical School in 1956. While at Harvard he was "introduced to and ultimately directed away from the Freudian school of psychiatry."[4][5]

After medical school, McHugh's education was influenced by George Thorn, the Physician-in-Chief at the Harvard-affiliated Peter Bent Brigham Hospital (now Brigham and Women's Hospital). Thorn was disillusioned with Freudian psychiatry and felt that those who devoted themselves to it became single-minded, failing to improve as doctors. Thorn encouraged McHugh to develop a different career path, suggesting that he enter the field of psychiatry by first studying neurology. At Thorn's recommendation, McHugh was accepted into the neurology and neuropathology residency program at the Massachusetts General Hospital where he studied for three years under Dr. Raymond Adams, the chief of the Neurology Department

His resume continues but I posted this much to confirmed his bona fides.

Upvote 0