N/A
✟149,065.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just found out, while listening to a fitness podcast, that in the USA animals for meat can be fed by hormones.

Is it still true?

I found this:

"In 1981, with Directive 81/602/EEC, the EU prohibited the use of substances having a hormonal action for growth promotion in farm animals. Examples for these kind of growth promoters are oestradiol 17ß, testosterone, progesterone, zeranol, trenbolone acetate and melengestrol acetate (MGA)...
...The United States and Canada contested the prohibition of the use of hormones as growth promoters in food producing animals..."

Hormones in meat

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just found out, while listening to a fitness podcast, that in the USA animals for meat can be fed by hormones.

Is it still true?

I found this:

"In 1981, with Directive 81/602/EEC, the EU prohibited the use of substances having a hormonal action for growth promotion in farm animals. Examples for these kind of growth promoters are oestradiol 17ß, testosterone, progesterone, zeranol, trenbolone acetate and melengestrol acetate (MGA)...
...The United States and Canada contested the prohibition of the use of hormones as growth promoters in food producing animals..."

Hormones in meat

Antibiotics in meat may also be an issue.

• Agree
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,065.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Antibiotics in meat may also be an issue.
True.

I found this:
"On the 28th of January 2022, the European Union’s new laws come into force, banning farmed animals from being routinely fed a diet of antibiotics – a move that World Animal Protection considers to be the most progressive in the world."
EU bans the routine use of antibiotics in farmed animals

Not sure about USA, though. Are Americans fed by a meat routinely grown on hormones and antibiotics?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Is it still true?

I found this:

Hormones in meat
A diet high in processed meat and red meat is linked to a higher incidence of cancer.
Red Meat Genetic Signature for Colorectal Cancer

• Agree
Reactions: Skye1300
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,065.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hormones and antibiotics in farm animals are not just about eating processed red meat.

It would get also into milk and all dairy products, into chickens etc.
Some people are concerned about cow milk containing potentially harmful hormones that are not in human milk. Milk is one of the foods some people are allergic to. It is #1 on this FDA food allergen list. Gluten is also a problem for some people, but is not on the following FDA list.
Food Allergies: What You Need to Know

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,065.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some people are concerned about cow milk containing potentially harmful hormones that are not in human milk. Milk is one of the foods some people are allergic to. It is #1 on this FDA food allergen list. Gluten is also a problem for some people, but is not on the following FDA list.
Food Allergies: What You Need to Know
The point of this thread is added hormones (for example growth hormon), especially the ones forbidden in the EU, not natural ones.

Yes, people of non-European descent are mostly not able to digest cow milk in adulthood, but thats a different topic.

The topic is if farm animals in the USA are still fed hormones/antibiotics or if my info is outdated.

Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes! They feed animals steroids as well as antibiotics, especially factory farmed animals which is where 90% of meat in America comes from. The animals are kept in such horrible unsanitary conditions that they HAVE to feed them antibiotics just for them to stay alive. People have eaten so much antibiotics through meat that that's why there are antibiotic resistant illnesses now.

• Informative
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Diet and hormones are problematic. As are living conditions. Many are given feed whose components are genetically modified. To fatten and shorten their time to slaughter. Some are bred specifically for production. Their girth and volume enhances profits.

Alternatives exist but you have to buy direct. Grass-fed doesn’t imply antibiotic free. Certified organic imposes limitations the other isn’t subjected to.

The remedy is simple. Grow what you can. Limit your sources for meat and produce. Stick to local farmers. And make the rest.

Unfortunately, farmers can’t compete with grocers on price. Grass-fed organic meat is more expensive. As is hormone free raw milk. The same holds true for fruit and vegetables. Buying in bulk is an option as are pick your own farms.

Healthy food is costly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,065.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes! They feed animals steroids as well as antibiotics, especially factory farmed animals which is where 90% of meat in America comes from. The animals are kept in such horrible unsanitary conditions that they HAVE to feed them antibiotics just for them to stay alive. People have eaten so much antibiotics through meat that that's why there are antibiotic resistant illnesses now.
Diet and hormones are problematic. As are living conditions. Many are given feed whose components are genetically modified. To fatten and shorten their time to slaughter. Some are bred specifically for production. Their girth and volume enhances profits.

Alternatives exist but you have to buy direct. Grass-fed doesn’t imply antibiotic free. Certified organic imposes limitations the other isn’t subjected to.

The remedy is simple. Grow what you can. Limit your sources for meat and produce. Stick to local farmers. And make the rest.

Unfortunately, farmers can’t compete with grocers on price. Grass-fed organic meat is more expensive. As is hormone free raw milk. The same holds true for fruit and vegetables. Buying in bulk is an option as are pick your own farms.

Healthy food is costly.

Are we talking about hormones the EU has forbidden since 1980's?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The point of this thread is added hormones (for example growth hormon), especially the ones forbidden in the EU, not natural ones.

Yes, people of non-European descent are mostly not able to digest cow milk in adulthood, but thats a different topic.

The topic is if farm animals in the USA are still fed hormones/antibiotics or if my info is outdated.
Thanks for the info about cow milk hormone sensitivity in non- Europeans. Growth hormone steroids found in beef are deemed safe by the FDA.

Upvote 0

rayraysh

Mar 21, 2020
London
✟14,694.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've just found out that beef cattle in the US are routinely injected with growth hormones (this practice is outlawed in the EU).
What are my options if I want to avoid hormone treated beef?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've just found out that beef cattle in the US are routinely injected with growth hormones (this practice is outlawed in the EU).
What are my options if I want to avoid hormone treated beef?

Go vegan. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums