Hoping you can offer a bit of advice before I end up falling away again.

Nov 22, 2016
Dumfries, Virginia, United States
✟11,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I actually haven't posted here in a rather long time besides an introduction. You can read through it if you'd like to get where I'm coming from and why I need help here.

I guess you could say I'm new to this Christian thing besides having been baptized at 14.

Basically, I went from strong atheism/agnosticism in my high school days (alternated between the two for some time) before experiencing some serious depression/anxiety issues among other things, and I guess somewhere in that time, I ended up coming back here (the faith, I mean). Of course, given my predisposition to over-analysis, rationality and whatnot that I so highly valued back then and still do, combined with both internal and external factors, I'm barely holding on here.

I tell myself I believe because I don't believe in extreme coincidences in regards to life or the origins of life itself (not that I don't believe in the Big Bang or evolution and all, I just don't think the former was really a matter of mere chance in space and time, and nothing more), and having at least a belief in a higher power at the time, I figured from historical evidence that I researched for a while that Jesus was definitely a big part of things. But I'm facing a dilemma where I feel I might've just been trying too hard to believe because I desperately needed good-enough answers for my predicament, or some kind of upside to look to. That's something I had heard and discussed a lot when talking about religion in general some years ago and am wondering if that's what's happening to me, despite doing my homework. I'm not sure if anyone can really help or comment on that one, but figured I'd put it out there nonetheless.

So, from time to time, and I know this should be a daily thing, I try prayer. I don't really know what it is I want to say beforehand, except asking for assistance in some form of pointing me in the right direction to really consolidate any faith I can have. But either I don't know how to look for an answer to prayers or it just isn't working, for whatever reason there may be. That obviously isn't doing much to help my situation, but provided this is the first time I've really tried praying in my life, maybe I'm messing up somewhere.

Apart from mental health being an obstacle, and possibly reading up too much on the rapidly deteriorating world in terms of culture, politics, wars and the like, I think maybe the aforementioned subjects are what I wanted to touch upon. I don't know if I worded this enough in a way that could help any of you help me, as I'm not really good at relaying my thoughts or opening up anymore like I used to be about things. I'm really trying my best to give this a shot and perhaps see results, but the doubter in me is really holding on tight, whether for righteous or wrongful reasons, I can't tell. I can't really talk to anyone I know IRL because just about everyone I know is a generally militant anti-theist that might implode upon hearing the word "God". So, strangers of the Internet, I guess you're my best shot at this thing for now.

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I actually haven't posted here in a rather long time besides an introduction. You can read through it if you'd like to get where I'm coming from and why I need help here.

I guess you could say I'm new to this Christian thing besides having been baptized at 14.

Basically, I went from strong atheism/agnosticism in my high school days (alternated between the two for some time) before experiencing some serious depression/anxiety issues among other things, and I guess somewhere in that time, I ended up coming back here (the faith, I mean). Of course, given my predisposition to over-analysis, rationality and whatnot that I so highly valued back then and still do, combined with both internal and external factors, I'm barely holding on here.

I tell myself I believe because I don't believe in extreme coincidences in regards to life or the origins of life itself (not that I don't believe in the Big Bang or evolution and all, I just don't think the former was really a matter of mere chance in space and time, and nothing more), and having at least a belief in a higher power at the time, I figured from historical evidence that I researched for a while that Jesus was definitely a big part of things. But I'm facing a dilemma where I feel I might've just been trying too hard to believe because I desperately needed good-enough answers for my predicament, or some kind of upside to look to. That's something I had heard and discussed a lot when talking about religion in general some years ago and am wondering if that's what's happening to me, despite doing my homework. I'm not sure if anyone can really help or comment on that one, but figured I'd put it out there nonetheless.

So, from time to time, and I know this should be a daily thing, I try prayer. I don't really know what it is I want to say beforehand, except asking for assistance in some form of pointing me in the right direction to really consolidate any faith I can have. But either I don't know how to look for an answer to prayers or it just isn't working, for whatever reason there may be. That obviously isn't doing much to help my situation, but provided this is the first time I've really tried praying in my life, maybe I'm messing up somewhere.

Apart from mental health being an obstacle, and possibly reading up too much on the rapidly deteriorating world in terms of culture, politics, wars and the like, I think maybe the aforementioned subjects are what I wanted to touch upon. I don't know if I worded this enough in a way that could help any of you help me, as I'm not really good at relaying my thoughts or opening up anymore like I used to be about things. I'm really trying my best to give this a shot and perhaps see results, but the doubter in me is really holding on tight, whether for righteous or wrongful reasons, I can't tell. I can't really talk to anyone I know IRL because just about everyone I know is a generally militant anti-theist that might implode upon hearing the word "God". So, strangers of the Internet, I guess you're my best shot at this thing for now.
For some reason the book Faith Founded on Fact by John Warwick Montgomery came to mind while reading this post. You may want to take a peek at it and there are probably many used copies around.

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The critical thing in a relationship with God is not believing He exists... The critical factors is believing Him and trusting in the Way He has provided for us to be forgiven all our sins..

It is the embrace of the message of God that lifts one up and brings the peace...

satan believes God exists yet he is doomed because he rejects the will of God..

• Agree
Reactions: Braydeno
Upvote 0

Gabe7587

Christ7Gaberman
Dec 17, 2016
Palmetto, FL
Visit site
✟24,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
2 Corinthians 1:3-5 "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ."

Wait for the comfort of the Lord.

Philippians 1:6 "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."

1 Peter 5:10 - And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.

Isaiah 49:15 - “Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you.

Joshua 1:9 -Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”

1 Peter 5:7 -"casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you"

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hope this helps. I tell people all the time to just talk to God the exact same way you would talk to your earthly father or mother, etc.... HE knows your heart before you even speak. He doesnt speak to you in a THEE, THOU, ART kinda way. Just as if you said hey God can we meet for coffee, I got some things thats really bothering me here, and I just wanna talk to you about them. He knitted you in your mothers womb, so HE knows you so so well. I'd start like this Heavenly Father, Im trying so hard to find You, and I feel like I cant and I am doing everything wrong. They all tell me You have been waiting for me and want me to pray, and Lord I do the best I can. I need you to just come sit with me, make yourself real to me. I need your peace and comfort Lord, the bible says that is where I find true peace. I invite you into my heart and mind, and I really wanna know you as my Father. Will You help me with my doubt and unbelief? Will you come guide me thru every step of my day? Will you erase all of my negative thoughts? Help me with my depression and anxiety. I dont want it anymore. Heal me from this and take it from me in Jesus name. I need you Jesus please come dwell in me and be with me always. I accept your love and I accept your son Jesus. In Jesus name, Amen.

Just talk to Him, no special way or words. You are His child and He loves you. God Bless and I will be praying for you.

Upvote 0

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I recommend you read Solomons Porch post above, good advise.

You may want to consider surrounding yourself with other believers as opposed to:

QUOTE: """I know IRL because just about everyone I know is a generally militant anti-theist that might implode upon hearing the word "God""". end quote....

Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Hi Nick,

So, what kind of answers do you think you need to find in order to help buttress what remains of your faith?

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Believing in God is more rational than rejecting that God exists. @crossnote mentioned one book, another one is Lee Strobel's The Case For Christ (neither of which I've read). However, it is important to examine the evidence that is in favor of God's reality. Pondering the reasons why he might not exist works against that. There's already enough difficulty with him being invisible and not choosing to show himself to you (apparently, but not actually).

The Bible is not a book of people's opinions about God, it is an account of people's experiences of God. There are such people around today, although they're sometimes hard to find. You can examine the archeological reliability of the ancient manuscripts, the level of care that went into transforming them into the original language manuscripts (Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic) that are used to give us English translations, and so forth.

The best thing to do, though, IMO is to study the Bible yourself and identify people who have been obedient to the Lord for a long time and ask them why they believe in God and salvation through Jesus Christ's death alone. Join a Bible study group from a good church with people you can relate to. It won't bother them if you don't yet believe in Christ if they are a good group.

Jesus said:

I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. (John 14:18-19, 1984 NIV) (Also see verses 15-17.)

Through genuine devotion to the Lord, you would discover your hope and faith was well-placed.

Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.” (John 14:21, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I'd suggest reading the Bible, as by doing so, your faith can grow.

So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God (Romans 10:17).
What does that means?

The Bible specifies the way, or the means, that God gives faith to people. It is the Word of God that produces faith. Someone could receive faith while hearing a sermon teaching the gospel, someone else by reading about Jesus in the Bible—any time the true gospel of Jesus is communicated, there is potential for faith. This is the means God has chosen.

I'd recommend the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, as they acquaint you with Jesus' life, ministry and message. God bless!

Upvote 0

cautiouslittlehope

Mar 5, 2017
UK
Visit site
✟15,612.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
tell Him all of this, just as you've told us. He already knows your heart, just as Jesus answered Nicodemus before his question had been asked, but He desires nothing more than to have open communication with you. make prayer a habit. if you see or think of someone that could do with help, if you can't help them then pray for them. if you experience something wonderful, then thank Him. if you are struggling and sad, ask for His help. read scripture, even if you're not 'feeling it' right now. the word of God is how we get close to Him. anyone who says they're 'feeling' God 100% of the time is lying. there are always periods where we feel unsure and as though God isn't right next to us anymore, but the key is to plough through these times, carry on talking to him, carry on reading His words, carry on asking Him to strengthen your faith. the truth is that He has called you, else you wouldn't be here asking this, but faith is a choice and it's not always an easy one. have you thought about joining a local church based community? honestly, the more companionship and knowledge I had in faith, the more I could feel Jesus working in my life.

Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you.
James 4:8

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Quartararo

Feb 9, 2017
✟10,274.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

This page will give you hope!

Proofs of God, Christ, and the Bible | Facebook

God bless you, in Jesus' mighty name!

Upvote 0

Daniel Quartararo

Feb 9, 2017
✟10,274.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I also think you'd benefit from listening to and watching this!

God bless you, in Jesus' mighty name!

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2016
✟11,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For some reason the book Faith Founded on Fact by John Warwick Montgomery came to mind while reading this post. You may want to take a peek at it and there are probably many used copies around.
Yeah, I tried looking for this in a library nearby, but no copies there. I'll see about paying a visit to some of the used book stores around my area. Also picked up "The Journey Toward God" by Benedict J. Groeschel, which is essentially writings, prayers, etc. from figures among Protestantism, Orthodoxy, and Catholicism, so it's kinda helping in the meantime.

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2016
✟11,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And to save me from clogging this post with individual replies, I do want to say I did read and take in all of your suggestions and advice. It is truly appreciated. I've been actually getting somewhat better with this issue, still quiet a road to go on, but if it takes me my whole life on this earth, then so be it. Been trying to pray more, study, meditate, etc. and I guess for now I've managed to reinvigorate the little faith I had previously. As I've asked the Lord to help me with. It looks like it's paying off. And I'm feeling pretty good about that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hope this helps. I tell people all the time to just talk to God the exact same way you would talk to your earthly father or mother, etc.... HE knows your heart before you even speak. He doesnt speak to you in a THEE, THOU, ART kinda way. Just as if you said hey God can we meet for coffee, I got some things thats really bothering me here, and I just wanna talk to you about them. He knitted you in your mothers womb, so HE knows you so so well. I'd start like this Heavenly Father, Im trying so hard to find You, and I feel like I cant and I am doing everything wrong. They all tell me You have been waiting for me and want me to pray, and Lord I do the best I can. I need you to just come sit with me, make yourself real to me. I need your peace and comfort Lord, the bible says that is where I find true peace. I invite you into my heart and mind, and I really wanna know you as my Father. Will You help me with my doubt and unbelief? Will you come guide me thru every step of my day? Will you erase all of my negative thoughts? Help me with my depression and anxiety. I dont want it anymore. Heal me from this and take it from me in Jesus name. I need you Jesus please come dwell in me and be with me always. I accept your love and I accept your son Jesus. In Jesus name, Amen.

Just talk to Him, no special way or words. You are His child and He loves you. God Bless and I will be praying for you.

Only thing on would add here would be to ask for forgiveness of your sin and wrongdoings....times where you have failed and doubted...ask him to show you the way..to lead and guide you

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2016
✟11,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Only thing on would add here would be to ask for forgiveness of your sin and wrongdoings....times where you have failed and doubted...ask him to show you the way..to lead and guide you

I've actually paid careful attention to include this in prayer. But one thing I've noticed is I often begin by saying I don't really deserve it...I kinda do believe that as well, but I'm guessing that's not unusual? I still want it, don't get me wrong, but yeah.

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've actually paid careful attention to include this in prayer. But one thing I've noticed is I often begin by saying I don't really deserve it...I kinda do believe that as well, but I'm guessing that's not unusual? I still want it, don't get me wrong, but yeah.

I was saved 20 years ago, I still feel like I don't deserve his love and grace...all those times I failed him...and didn't do what was right...the good news is his forgiveness and blood covers those sins...he doesn't see them anymore and I need to let them go..

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2016
✟11,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was saved 20 years ago, I still feel like I don't deserve his love and grace...all those times I failed him...and didn't do what was right...the good news is his forgiveness and blood covers those sins...he doesn't see them anymore and I need to let them go..
I see...I guess it's time I try to start letting them go as well, then. Was just wondering if it's normal, what I was feeling about forgiveness.

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And to save me from clogging this post with individual replies, I do want to say I did read and take in all of your suggestions and advice. It is truly appreciated. I've been actually getting somewhat better with this issue, still quiet a road to go on, but if it takes me my whole life on this earth, then so be it. Been trying to pray more, study, meditate, etc. and I guess for now I've managed to reinvigorate the little faith I had previously. As I've asked the Lord to help me with. It looks like it's paying off. And I'm feeling pretty good about that.

It just takes faith the size of a mustard seed ...we have to put on our armor everyday to keep us from being worldly...to keep pressing toward the mark...my 20 year spiritual birthday was back in October..I really struggled for a bit for not being where I should be...but really matters is we keep moving forward...not backwards...

Upvote 0