Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe that I should honor my father and mother, but what if they are not Christians?

Because I have been being very disrespectful towards them.
It doesn’t matter. The Lord causes the rain to fall upon both the just, and the unjust; therefore, “Be ye perfect, as your Father in heaven is perfect.” Honoring your parents is a command of God, repent from your disrespect, and honor them.

It doesn’t mean that you have to believe the same as them, but to outright dishonor them is to dishonor the Lord who gave you them. However, you know this and your conscience has verified it, so do not make yourself stiffnecked and stubborn, but humble and quiet, as the Lord would have us be.

• Agree
Reactions: Romans 8
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,209.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sirach
3:2 Children, hear the judgment of your father, and so do that you may be saved.
3:3 For God hath made the father honourable to the children: and seeking the judgment of the mothers, hath confirmed it upon the children.
3:4 He that loveth God, shall obtain pardon for his sins by prayer, and shall refrain himself from them, and shall be heard in the prayer of days.
3:5 And he that honoureth his mother is as one that layeth up a treasure.
3:6 He that honoureth his father shall have joy in his own children, and in the day of his prayer he shall be heard.
3:7 He that honoureth his father shall enjoy a long life: and he that obeyeth the father, shall be a comfort to his mother.
3:8 He that feareth the Lord, honoureth his parents, and will serve them as his masters that brought him into the world.
3:9 Honour thy father, in work and word, and all patience,
3:10 That a blessing may come upon thee from him, and his blessing may remain in the latter end.
3:11 The father's blessing establisheth the houses of the children: but the mother's curse rooteth up the foundation.
3:12 Glory not in the dishonour of thy father: for his shame is no glory to thee.
3:13 For the glory of a man is from the honour of his father, and a father without honour is the disgrace of the son.
3:14 Son, support the old age of thy father, and grieve him not in his life;
3:15 And if his understanding fail, have patience with him, and despise him not when thou art in thy strength: for the relieving of the father shall not be forgotten.
3:16 For good shall be repaid to thee for the sin of thy mother.

Upvote 0

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As Christians, it is appropriate for us to be respectful of all people, regardless of belief. Remember the parable Jesus told in answer to the "Who is my neighbor?" question. Even those who hate or mistreat you can be treated as gently as possible, in order to display the light of the gospel to the world.

Especially, it is desirable to be honoring to parents. Even in the Old Testament, there is no religious purity test on the "Honor your father and your mother" statement.

Reactions: Porpoise
Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I believe that I should honor my father and mother, but what if they are not Christians?

Because I have been being very disrespectful towards them.

If they raised you and provided for you then it would be evil IMO to dishonor them.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why disrespectful? Are they bringing that on, or are you?

If parents treat their children terribly, they need to do the best they can until they can get out, or today call DCF on them. However, simply not being Christian is not a reason to disrespect them, or even be angry at them...that's the last thing you want to do.

If possible be nice/tolerant, like Christians are supposed to be, so they will see the "Christianity" inside of you and maybe change their mind some day.

Upvote 0