Honest question: how do we become less knowing, without becoming more questioning?

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

So this is evidently a question about faith. I do not mean to add question to question. My intent is to have faith, despite people having "questions". People ask questions, but when they receive the knowledge the ask, if they ask in vain, they simply come up with more questions. As a character in Mystery Men said "if you question training, you only train to ask questions". I don't want to arrive at a point where I am just asking for more knowledge. So the question is a test of faith, I guess.

And the test of faith is this: "how do we become less knowing, without becoming more questioning?" In other words, how do we arrive at the correct knowledge, without becoming futile in our thinking - as would lead to us asking more questions, for no reason. I meditate a lot, and it is a question that keeps nagging at me: when am I supposed to be still, and know that God is God? Do you see the relationship between these two questions? One is about knowledge in general, the other is about knowledge in stillness - there maybe a stronger connection yet, but I don't want to introduce too many concepts.

Adding concepts helps, when you don't know the answer you are looking for, but if, as is the truth in my case, you have had enough of searching for more answers, concepts more often get in the way than not - do you see that? A rhetorical question! There is I discern just writing this, that there is a limit to the number of concepts that can help - I just wonder what idea would tie this together: how would you know, you know enough, unless you simply had peace (as Jesus had peace)? That I suppose is the indicator - some knowledge brings peace, other knowledge does not bring peace.

If I had faith, Jewish faith, would I say "I have Jewish peace" - would Jesus call His Faith "Jewish". Maybe I have missed the point. The point is not to question what you would name peace, but simply to have it. In this way all faith points to the one faith: that peace in faith is enough, because of knowledge. It is the Devil that would argue knowledge is never enough, that peace is fleeting, and that indicators are useless? We should resist this - in this way we resist loosing the peace we have, whatever the knowledge behind it is. From this we get great peace, not thankful to the Devil, but not despising him either.

There is an ageing to this, that we cannot avoid, both individually and as a nation, an Israeli nation. The knowledge we have as a child, is different from the knowledge we have as an adult - for this reason we must always seek God, whatever our knowledge was. I wonder if ageing does not get easier and lighter, if we have peace, though. At some point, we need to ask for God to give us peace, once and for all, that also brings into doubt, for example that we have lived correctly, even having the peace, which we thought would satisfy. The sweetness of fellowship, has something to do with this as well, since it transcends time - our peace does not weary fellowship or because of fellowship, the strength we need to be at peace, is in that.

It is for another Age, to wonder whether we have Greatly Witnessed, the knowledge we have, as we should - perhaps there is Wisdom in finding that certain questions are beyond our current ken? The Devil would rue our faith, if we never rested in at least some truth, surely...

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My intent is to have faith

Hebrews 11:1 talks about faith in what we know.
Elsewhere we are told to be ready to give a Reason for our belief.

Faith is not about closing one's eyes and jumping, but of seeing that Jesus is trustworthy and in that knowledge jumping.

Go ahead ask questions find the answers and in so doing grow your faith.

• Informative
Reactions: Gottservant
Upvote 0