Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Loss - off the cuff;
1)that reality, truth and morality are objective
that is an opinion which has no impact on anything one way to the other.

2)that marriage is special
yes it is. And a year and a half after the supreme court ruling marriage is just as special as before.

3)stability of the foundation of society
no cause and effect shown

4)unity within society

5)cohesiveness within society
that is pretty meaningless. What qualifies as unity? cohesiveness?

once you defien those and show it all to be menaingfull you then get to show that the legal recognition of same sex marraige has any effect on anything

6)further loss of and respect for human dignity
Discrimination is a cause of this loss.

7)shorter lines and parking for divorce court
Seems like fewer divorces would be a good thing to you.
and since homosexual couples are less likely to divorce this would only help in doing that.
Ref Badgett, M.V. and Mallory, C. New Data from Marriage Licenses for Same-Sex Couples. UCLA 2016

8)that laws should reflect reality/natural law
your opinion.

adding
9)access to mental health and medical services
which is unchanged

10) increase in SS marriages
11) unicorns (see post #117) would be more scared and perhaps rarer in societies were morals and respect for human dignity further broken down.
You have yet to provide a single example of this

1&2&3&4&5&6 combining to
lower real marriage rates​
If by "real" you mean opposite sex marriages then you havn't shown this at all

& further increase single parenting which:
no evidence

• increases poverty further exacerbating 3&4&5&6
  • ditto cohabitation, children out of wedlock, disease, general misery, abortions, and divorce etc.
  • no evidence
Having 10) will;
  • increase numbers of people leading self destructive lifestyle which
  • getting married iself destructive?
    [*]
    • lower life expectancy
    • represents additional costs/burden to society=loss
the idea that homosexuals have a lower life expectancy was originated by Paul Cameron. Cameron was a psychiatrist teaching at the univ of Nebraska but lost his job and was expelled form the APA when he got caught making up research data. His claim that gay men have a life expectancy of 42 years is based on his infamous obituary study. Cameron clipped obituaries from various newspapers and then selected that obituaries he thought belonged to gay men.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
that is an opinion which has no impact on anything one way to the other.

yes it is. And a year and a half after the supreme court ruling marriage is just as special as before.

no cause and effect shown

that is pretty meaningless. What qualifies as unity? cohesiveness?

once you defien those and show it all to be menaingfull you then get to show that the legal recognition of same sex marraige has any effect on anything

Discrimination is a cause of this loss.

Seems like fewer divorces would be a good thing to you.
and since homosexual couples are less likely to divorce this would only help in doing that.
Ref Badgett, M.V. and Mallory, C. New Data from Marriage Licenses for Same-Sex Couples. UCLA 2016

your opinion.

which is unchanged

You have yet to provide a single example of this

If by "real" you mean opposite sex marriages then you havn't shown this at all

no evidence

• no evidence
  • getting married iself destructive?
the idea that homosexuals have a lower life expectancy was originated by Paul Cameron. Cameron was a psychiatrist teaching at the univ of Nebraska but lost his job and was expelled form the APA when he got caught making up research data. His claim that gay men have a life expectancy of 42 years is based on his infamous obituary study. Cameron clipped obituaries from various newspapers and then selected that obituaries he thought belonged to gay men.
There are proofs done to show morality/truths cannot be subjective, without going into those here. Claiming those -are subjective still certainly matters in talking about promoting unity, cohesiveness and stability in a society as being subjective would not promote those aspects. For example if not everyone agrees stealing is wrong, then the unity, cohesiveness and stability of such a society would be negatively impacted. Examples of promoting that lost to history because such societies did not last our testimonies to this.

No the point about being "special" in the law is two fold. Whether it matches reality and did it formerly have a special status. Take a reality like all men are created equal. If there was a law encouraging slavery, such a law goes against that reality.
So the law encouraging SS "marriages" is against the human reality of what a marriage is now and always has been. Marriage also has held, until such recent laws were introduced, a special status in the law that no other human partnership/union has been provided. By opening the legal definitions to multiple various other types of human partnerships that status of a male-female union can no longer be said to be "special".

The cause/effect of stability of a "family unit" can be shown as there is no data to support that a SS family unit would on whole be better than a marriage. It would have to be better to improve the current state of all family units, otherwise it is contributing to the overall increasing instability of such units in our society. There is also a good case to be made that the effect on heterosexual view of marriage from endorsing SS marriage would further discourage some to marry - which is also a negative on the stability of society's fundamental building block.

If people in a society are very divided on anything, in this case a fundamental building block of a society, then the cohesiveness is weakened - meaning it helps make it easier to pull that society apart rather than helping it continue. So it follows from the obvious division we have on this issue.

No, losing human dignity occurs when mistreat, abuse or attempt to degrade our human nature. A part of human nature is to be male female. Walking around in a vagina costume in a protest supporting women's dignity would be an example of a loss of that person's own human dignity - as well as being ironic. Endorsing behavior which is degrading to human dignity is a loss in my book, most people's book for that matter.

The topic was what do we loose by endorsing SS unions as "marriage. The loss would be shorter lines and less parking at divorce court. Not that I believe most SS couples will abide by our divorce laws and as some bigamy suits have already demonstrated. But yes, thank you, I am for shorter lines and parking at all govt facilities - the point was endorsing SS unions as a "marriage" will negatively impact that and I don't need examples of it to say that must be so.

No, it is not an opinion that laws should reflect the "natural law" or "laws of nature". In fact my understanding is that our legal system and many before are founded in part on that. Supporting that line of thinking was one reason equality was even mentioned in our Declaration of Independence. So no, that was not an opinion.

A loss of service will naturally occur in various ways when demand is increased and supply is not. Endorsing a behavior that is unhealthy will increase demand on health services. So everyone's access is effected simply by the supply/demand when we encourage unhealthy behavior as a society. Again, not opinion but simple statement of fact.

If anyone watched TV after any state or the federal ruling, they would know that we have increased the occurrence of SS unions being labeled "marriage". Am unclear why anyone would think it would increase or continue to do that - that is the outcome of adding a legal benefit to human behavior - more of it. You brought up unicorns to no one's surprise, but in general any society that moves toward disorder increase panic and fear for everyone as well as animals.

I do not need to show a further decline in marriage rates to make a point that something which does not promote or encouraging the behavior by degrading or diluting what was a "special" benefit status has a negative effect. So given the degree it is no a longer benefit of a specific behavior, it will naturally result in a decrease of people wanting to do it. The more people we give a benefit to, the less it is seen as a benefit and so less behavioral incentive for doing it. Should not need an example to show that if we took the welfare budget and say just gave out $1000 to every citizen there would be more people looking for jobs.

In order to make any claim against saying legally endorsing SS "marriage" will increase single family homes, one would have to show SS unions who obtain children would be MORE stable than our real marriages are. Otherwise they are adding to the problem, not making it better. Nothing we currently know about such unions suggests they would be more stable than real marriages currently are. If you have such "evidence" to the contrary please share.

Giving the overwhelming documented evidence of the effects of single parent homes to poverty, teen pregnancy rates, diseases, general misery...etc. am unclear why anyone would assume a homosexual single parent population would not have similar effect. Do you have "evidence" it would not be so for homosexual single parents?

Yes, a society encouraging a behavior by giving benefits to engaging in it will result in an increase of people doing it. Am at a loss why anyone would suggest we need evidence to show that is true. Encouraging behavior is part of the reason for giving a benefit. If the behavior is shown to be self destructive, then giving that benefit will increase the numbers of people doing it.

Our government studies and many others show the LGBT population has significant statistically differentiation in all sorts of health related issues. Our only disagreement could be the cause, which the govt sites tend to agree if we were all just OK with it that much of that goes away - Whether that is true or not is a different topic. And yes they all show some differences in life expectancy even though many of those studies (like the govt's) are LGBT friendly. I never said expectancy was 42 years old, the actual numbers are not the issue. The fact they are lower than other groups is the issue.

I don't think it is reasonable to dismiss all those studies simply because one guy said gay men had a number of 42. (not familiar with that study, but would not surprise me if that was an accurate number in the 80s in several US population centers).

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Our government studies and many others show the LGBT population has significant statistically differentiation in all sorts of health related issues. Our only disagreement could be the cause, which the govt sites tend to agree if we were all just OK with it that much of that goes away - Whether that is true or not is a different topic. And yes they all show some differences in life expectancy even though many of those studies (like the govt's) are LGBT friendly.

References?

I never said expectancy was 42 years old, the actual numbers are not the issue. The fact they are lower than other groups is the issue.

I don't think it is reasonable to dismiss all those studies simply because one guy said gay men had a number of 42. (not familiar with that study, but would not surprise me if that was an accurate number in the 80s in several US population centers).
Cameron said it was 42 based on his clipping of obituaries. A man who has made a career out of producing fake research on homosexuals.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
References?

Cameron said it was 42 based on his clipping of obituaries. A man who has made a career out of producing fake research on homosexuals.
Yeah one guy makes a reference and all the other health studies including LGBT friendly sites are all bogus. Makes no sense.

There are a great many references, so it is rather silly to deny there are no disparities in health issues. And as our society has in general becomes more accepting than it was 50 years ago, I see no studies suggesting the disparity has gotten better.
I will give two government ones in the next post as they are by in large principally bending over backwards to help encourage the behavior. Note in the details they, like you do with suicide/mental stress, seem to suggest most of the disparity can be explained by the negative pressures from society and if were all more accepting would magically go away. Of course I do not agree that is true, but the point is even those agreeing with you on the reason for there being such a disparity document that there is one, a rather large one in some areas.

So please do not accept my posting this as endorsing anything they say beyond their own documentation and their referencing numerous studies documenting, that there is in fact a disparity. Denial is not a river in rainbow land either.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
References?

As noted in prior post - two govt references. Note that the disparity in health is mentioned in both.

“In addition, the data can be used to examine a wide range of health disparities among adults identifying as straight, gay or lesbian, or bisexual. “

“For instance, recent studies have examined the health and health care of lesbian, gay, and bisexual (LGB) populations and have found clear disparities among sexual minority groups (i.e., gay or lesbian and bisexual) and between sexual minorities and straight populations. These disparities appear to be broad-ranging, with differences identified for various health conditions (e.g., asthma, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, or disability) (1–4), health behaviors such as smoking and heavy drinking (1–3,5), and health care access and service utilization (1,6,7). Across most of these outcomes, sexual minorities tend to fare worse than their nonminority counterparts.”
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr077.pdf

Here is the govt gender bending bow to improving LGBT health (it attributes most if not all these issues to the way SilverBear and others want to see it). But in doing so it documents that there are issues.

“LGBT health requires specific attention from health care and public health professionals to address a number of disparities, including:
LGBT youth are 2 to 3 times more likely to attempt suicide.
LGBT youth are more likely to be homeless.
Lesbians are less likely to get preventive services for cancer.
Gay men are at higher risk of HIV and other STDs, especially among communities of color.
Lesbians and bisexual females are more likely to be overweight or obese.
Transgender individuals have a high prevalence of HIV/STDs, victimization, mental health issues, and suicide and are less likely to have health insurance than heterosexual or LGB individuals.
Elderly LGBT individuals face additional barriers to health because of isolation and a lack of social services and culturally competent providers.
LGBT populations have the highest rates of tobacco, alcohol, and other drug use.”

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health | Healthy People 2020

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As noted in prior post - two govt references. Note that the disparity in health is mentioned in both.

“In addition, the data can be used to examine a wide range of health disparities among adults identifying as straight, gay or lesbian, or bisexual. “

“For instance, recent studies have examined the health and health care of lesbian, gay, and bisexual (LGB) populations and have found clear disparities among sexual minority groups (i.e., gay or lesbian and bisexual) and between sexual minorities and straight populations. These disparities appear to be broad-ranging, with differences identified for various health conditions (e.g., asthma, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, or disability) (1–4), health behaviors such as smoking and heavy drinking (1–3,5), and health care access and service utilization (1,6,7). Across most of these outcomes, sexual minorities tend to fare worse than their nonminority counterparts.”

Here is the govt gender bending bow to improving LGBT health (it attributes most if not all these issues to the way SilverBear and others want to see it). But in doing so it documents that there are issues.

“LGBT health requires specific attention from health care and public health professionals to address a number of disparities, including:
Gay men are at higher risk of HIV and other STDs, especially among communities of color.
Transgender individuals have a high prevalence of HIV/STDs, victimization, mental health issues, and suicide and are less likely to have health insurance than heterosexual or LGB individuals.
Elderly LGBT individuals face additional barriers to health because of isolation and a lack of social services and culturally competent providers.
LGBT populations have the highest rates of tobacco, alcohol, and other drug use.”

Not being loved at home or by society is a huge issue to fix.
Who is opposed to not loving people as they are?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SkyWriting said:
Hopefully no one here.

Awesome.

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)

“Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.” (1 John 4:11-12)

Upvote 0

Kiterius

CF's Favorite Member
Dec 24, 2016
Earth
✟32,893.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Note, I'm not promoting anything, nor am I stating anything here is right or wrong. This has nothing to do with the morality of homosexuality, just philosophical argumentation.

I've been thinking on this and I believe there are three possible options.

1) You're born with a preference (most likely)
- e.g. Similar to being born with heterosexuality​
2) An environment condition altered your preference (likely)
- e.g. A negative sexual experience alters my preference
- very sad, but I know a few in this category​
3) You're not born with a preference (least likely)
- e.g. I "choose" a preference
- Least likely, because as a heterosexual man, I don't recall "choosing" heterosexuality, maybe some do, I dunno.​

In any of these options, it would seem to me the most logical would be #1 and #2, with #3 being the least logical option.

Note, I'm not saying being born a certain way makes something right, or wrong. Or subscribing to any of the possible options above makes something right or wrong. Just simply talking logic here in a philosophical sense.

One is born with their orientation - there is no choice.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SkyWriting said:

Awesome.

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)

“Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.” (1 John 4:11-12)
The point?
The OP declares the truth that acting on homosexual desire is immoral, a sin. There is no sinful act if the desire does not become behavior. There is nothing about loving someone that requires us to deny reality.

We only have theories about why some people might be wired that way, nothing has been "proven". And even if we understood why some have desires that are at odds with the way God made humans, we would still not be loving someone to pretend their acting on those desires is OK. It is not OK and acknowledging that has nothing to do with whether we should love them or not. Of course we should love them.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Yeah one guy makes a reference and all the other health studies including LGBT friendly sites are all bogus. Makes no sense.
then why do you keep saying it?

There are a great many references, so it is rather silly to deny there are no disparities in health issues. And as our society has in general becomes more accepting than it was 50 years ago, I see no studies suggesting the disparity has gotten better.
you claimed:
"And yes they all show some differences in life expectancy even though many of those studies (like the govt's) are LGBT friendly."
and I asked for references. No references so far.

I will give two government ones in the next post as they are by in large principally bending over backwards to help encourage the behavior. Note in the details they, like you do with suicide/mental stress, seem to suggest most of the disparity can be explained by the negative pressures from society and if were all more accepting would magically go away. Of course I do not agree that is true,

Why?
Do you have any reason beyond you don't like the findings?

but the point is even those agreeing with you on the reason for there being such a disparity document that there is one, a rather large one in some areas.

So please do not accept my posting this as endorsing anything they say beyond their own documentation and their referencing numerous studies documenting, that there is in fact a disparity. Denial is not a river in rainbow land either.
Are you still trying to pretend the American College of Pediatrics is "gay friendly" and that they haven't been caught misrepresenting the research of others?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed

And the African American community has most of these disparities as well. However none of these are intrinsic to either gays or blacks.

Being gay doesn't make young people more likely to be homeless. Your orientation does not not make you more or less unacceptable to asthma.

what you are and have been doing is making the simple mistake of confusing correlation to causality.

Individuals with sickle cell anemia (to use a recent topic) are from warm wet areas of the world. But the tropics is not the cause of sickle cell anemia.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
then why do you keep saying it?

you claimed:
"And yes they all show some differences in life expectancy even though many of those studies (like the govt's) are LGBT friendly."
and I asked for references. No references so far.

Why?
Do you have any reason beyond you don't like the findings?

Are you still trying to pretend the American College of Pediatrics is "gay friendly" and that they haven't been caught misrepresenting the research of others?
That something is a false claim needs to be repeated when someone else keeps repeating the false claim.
The challenge is back in the court because people repeatedly suggesting anything any research contrary their cause was done by racist bigotted haters. Given no one has given a link to a single study that shows no health disparity between the LGBT community and the rest of the population, including issues that impact longevity, this challenge rings false.

That some can not differentiate between fact and opinions, (hint findings in the context of "conclusions" from these studies belong in the latter category), goes to my point.

I never claimed ACP is "gay friendly", and I would only agree they are less friendly than the AAP studies in that they address all causes rather than focusing only those that benefit the typical LGBT narrative. I have stated that in an attempt to avoid the bogus charge that always follows anyone posting research that refutes the narrative that I began linking only LGBT friendly studies, like the two govt links I gave. Which both clearly showed disparity in health issues and factors that would impact longevity.

The only people pretending here are the ones denying there are disparities in health issues in the LGBT community including some impacting longevity. Or others pretending that the net loss to society of encouraging destructive behavior, including the losses caused by some of the health disparity, do not exist. Many of those same folks also pretend to understand how we get the desires driving the behavior.

Upvote 0

FaithfulPilgrim

Eternally Seeking
Feb 8, 2015
South Carolina
✟39,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think it is partially genetic as it doesn't seem realistic that someone gets out of bed and decides they're going to be gay today. I'm sure there are people who say they are gay for attention, but I doubt most people who homosexual desires "choose" to be attracted to the same sex.

As for me, idk what I am. I'm either heterosexual or asexual.

Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it is partially genetic as it doesn't seem realistic that someone gets out of bed and decides they're going to be gay today.
Asked to plot themselves on a 'sexuality scale', 23% of British people chose something other than 100% heterosexual - and the figure rises to 49% among 18-24 year olds.

This indicates that sexual behavior has more to do with attitudes than it does with genetic causes.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
I never claimed ACP is "gay friendly"

BTW I am intentionally selecting LGBT friendly sites, which clearly want to paint most if not all the disparity as a function of negative social pressure from outside the community. Clearly I do not agree that explains all of the disparity. The weight related issues being a good example as being driven by LGBT attitudes about themselves, nothing to do with external society pressures.

American College of Pediatricians project
Facts About Youth – Homosexuality

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That a statement can be misunderstood I won't deny. That statement was one of explaining why I am posting ANY LGBT friendly stats and that paragraph was an attempt to be clear that I am not supporting the conclusions such sites often reach or support them omitting causality that is internal to homosexual behavior. That this was my point is made clearer by the statement "Clearly I do not agree that explains all of the disparity." which is reference to what one can find on most LGBT friendly research sites.

In my opinion, except on the issue of SS adoptions, the ACP site is rather neutral in their presentation of data. That it needs to be painted as a bunch of racist bigoted homophobes supports the narrative.

That I feel compelled because of ridiculous claims made by some to select ANY sites that are LGBT to present the same data all other sites do just to avoid the frivolous accusation that only racist bigoted homophobes support there being data showing health disparities in the LGBT community illustrates the problem here the above statement was meant to address. That some don't get that and still want to imagine there is no disparity and everyone that disagrees must be a hateful, racist homophobe I cannot help. Is what it is.

Upvote 0