✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
SqueezetheShaman said:
So says many of you on here. Can you show us how it has hurt the countries who have allowed it? Obviously if you are correct, this should have happened in these countries. Now is your chance to prove your point.

amazing how there is no long laundry list of posts with statistics and responses here I wonder why :scratch:

Upvote 0

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
abba.jpg

Upvote 0

msjones21

Nov 26, 2003
Atlanta, GA
✟3,674.00
Faith
Pagan
So says many of you on here. Can you show us how it has hurt the countries who have allowed it? Obviously if you are correct, this should have happened in these countries. Now is your chance to prove your point.
Beecuz if wee alow gayz 2 mary then wee can mary sheep n stuff.

Sorry, moment of random immaturity. I have nothing really important to add to this thread LOL

Upvote 0

msjones21

Nov 26, 2003
Atlanta, GA
✟3,674.00
Faith
Pagan
squeezetheShaman said:
unfortunately it isn't funny since some people actually use this sort of logic.
Indeed. It is pretty sad.:cry: I told my mom about talking to little Timmy Phelps. She was shocked that there are people with this guy's mentality parading around as people doing the work of the Lord. I wonder what God the Westboro Baptist Church gang worships.:scratch:

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
msjones21 said:
Indeed. It is pretty sad.:cry: I told my mom about talking to little Timmy Phelps. She was shocked that there are people with this guy's mentality parading around as people doing the work of the Lord. I wonder what God the Westboro Baptist Church gang worships.:scratch:

Hate 1 a : intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear,

The God of Hate, I just can not imagine giving your child a sign that says God Hates any person, homosexual or otherwise.

Why do teach our children these things?

When my children say they hate someone, I say no, no you don't you dislike them, hate is such an ugly word. I can hate food, art, things but to express hatred of people is like saying that person is less than human.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tof

Sep 24, 2002
Lyon, France
Visit site
✟16,109.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
SqueezetheShaman said:
Well, in 1999, France introduced a new type of union for both homosexuals and heterosexuals, marriage remaining between heterosexuals. AND NOW EVERYBODY HATE THE FRENCH :cry: :cry: (kidding)

Seriously, though, since 2000, the number of (heterosexual) marriages in France has increased to reach the early '80s rate.
Polls show that homosexuality in France is generally accepted as just another way to live your sexual life, the last taboo being adoption.

Upvote 0

PhantomLlama

Prism Ranger
Feb 25, 2003
Birmingham
Visit site
✟9,758.00
Faith
Atheist
obediah001 said:
You are forgetting my young friend God made all that is & He has set down His rules for us & they are not hard or unfair as U imply.
Then you live by them if you feel the need to. Unfortunately for you, the Constitution of the United States of America removes God's say in matters of official human law. That is what differentiates us from say, Iran, or the Taliban.

Upvote 0

Jacey

WinJace
Jan 12, 2004
Atlanta
Visit site
✟5,805.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
obediah001 said:
You are forgetting my young friend God made all that is & He has set down His rules for us & they are not hard or unfair as U imply.

So, to keep beating the drum I like to beat, do you favor capital punishment for adultery? Are you a strict believer in doing everything God said? How many daughters have you sold in to slavery? Do you favor the death penalty for children who insult bald people? (wait...........that's not a bad idea)

Please elaborate.......

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tof

Sep 24, 2002
Lyon, France
Visit site
✟16,109.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Newsboy1900 said:
lol well all i really know is if it happens i feel sorry for america because lets look at all the diffrent citys that allowed that and what happend to them
What happened to which cities?
I thought the intent of the OP was for you to give examples.

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SqueezetheShaman said:

And my cat got worms.

Does that count? :holy:

Upvote 0

gladiatrix

Card-carrying EAC member
Sep 10, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟20,897.00
Faith
Atheist
obediah001 said:
You are forgetting my young friend God made all that is & He has set down His rules for us
1. And your evidence that "a" god/goddess (s?==>why not creation by Divine Committee™ or DC™) is?

2. When you manage to just establish that "a" god exists,where is your evidence that your version (a version of the thousands of version of the Christian God) God exists?

3. In short, why should anyone else adhere to YOUR moral code, considering that all you are doing is just ASSERTING that your position is the TRUTH™.

BTW, the burden of proof is not a two-way street...it falls on you!

Why the Burden of Proof is Yours

& they are not hard or unfair as U imply.
Why should we who don't agree with you, apply YOUR rules (based on an unproven and purposely-designed unprovable authority) to ourselves or permit you to force-feed us yours?

Meanwhile, I noticed that you failed to answer the question:
SqueezetheShaman said:
In point of fact, Western society has condoned homosexual marriage and not had the practice lead to any kind of "downfall":

From Social and Cultural History of Marriage
Homosexual Marriage

Research by the Yale historian John Boswell in the book, Same-Sex Unions in Premodern Europe, explores the historical context of homosexual marriages. His studies revealed that homosexual marriage rites have been legally sanctioned and religiously upheld for over 3,000 years in ancient African, Asian, Egyptian, Greek, Mesopotamian, Native American and Roman cultures. The social acceptance of same-gender relationships did not gain widespread condemnation until the 13th century, when religious orders stepped in and declared them immoral (Dorrell & Legal Marriage Court Cases, 1994,1996).

Paul Halsall, also a historian, supports the findings of Boswell and unearthed other cultures’ acceptance of male-male or female-female relationships. In his essay, Lesbian and Gay Marriage through History and Culture, he documents the recognition of same-gender couples in many cultures. He specifically lists, “Ancient Greece, Egypt, Crete, Sparta, Thebes, Ancient Rome, China, Japan, Malay, Bali, Australia, India, Native Americas (Chukchi, Koriaks, Kamchadale), New Mexico tribes, Peru, Brazil, Medieval Eastern Orthodoxy and Catholicism” (Halsall, 1996). While certainly the couplings and the recognitions were not everyday common occurrences, they were recorded as happening.

The role of the church in condoning homosexual marriages is also evident, according to Boswell. The Catholic Church, in particular, legitimized same-gender unions for over 1,500 years. This tradition was halted only in the 1800s. There were over 100 liturgies specifically for same-gender marriages. Since childbearing parts of marriage did not fit the same-gender unions, they were removed. As a replacement, the liturgies praised the companionable parts of marriage. For instance, a gay couple was cited as celebrating "brotherhood.” (Dorrell, 1994)

Other religious denominations accept and support same-gender commitments. Religious ceremonies for gay male couples and lesbian couples have been performed in assorted religious persuasions, including, Buddhist, Episcopalian, Reconstructionist, Jewish, Reform Jewish, Presbyterian, Quaker, Unitarian and others (Where to Get a Religious Blessing, 1995). It is noteworthy that while many of the arguments against same-gender marriage pertain to religion, currently the only instances where Americans can have same-gender marriage rites performed are religious. The law does not recognize same-gender marriages, but many churches do.

Female-female and male-male couples have existed throughout history and exist in great numbers today. The level of social recognition has varied through time, religions and specific cultures. However, homosexual relationships are not a new concept nor are they something that have just sprung out of the decaying American society. They have always existed[...]
There are three types of heterosexual marriage:

1. Monogamy==>one man, one woman, with STRICT monogamy practiced by only 20% of the worlds' population (the US is considered to be a "serial" monogamy culture, so our predominantly Christian culture is really NOT the portrait you paint).
  2. Polygamy==>one man, more than one woman, practiced extensively in the Bible by the patriarchs and to maintain family alliances and connections (Ex. Muslims of Middle East, Asia, north Africa)
  3. Polyandry==>one woman with multiple husbands is rare, but is seen in central Asian cultures, southern India, Sri Lanka, and Tibet.
Why Christians get so hot under the collar about homosexuals marrying is beyond me. How in the world does the marry of a homosexual couple invalidate or denigrate the marriage of a heterosexual couple? Christians act as if such a fact would instantly negate the legality of their unions. The following show why gay couples want their unions recognized and the things that heterosexual couples take for granted, but are denied to them:

The following 2 lists from The Religious Definition of Marriage:

Basic Benefits of Marriage(abbreviated from the original)....
  1. Shared Taxes.
  2. Next-of-kin privileges.
  3. Bereavement leave
  4. Wrongful death benefits
  5. Pensions and health insurance
  6. Immigration
  7. Social Security
  8. Inheritance
  9. Child custody
  10. Family discounts
Other little fun facts in the article include:
  • Car ownership automatically transfers to a spouse, but not to a surviving partner.
  • Widows/Widowers have standing to challenge their late spouse's will.
  • Spouses cannot be compelled to testify in court against on another.
Here's another list of rights and privileges denied to gay couples:
  1. Accidental death benefits for the surviving spouse of a government employee
  2. Appointment as guardian of a minor
  3. Award of child custody in divorce proceedings
  4. Beneficial owner status of corporate securities
  5. Bill of Rights benefits for victims and witnesses
  6. Burial of service member's dependents
  7. Certificates of occupation
  8. Consent to post-mortem examinations
  9. Continuation of rights under existing homestead leases
  10. Control, division, acquisition and disposition of community property
  11. Criminal injuries compensation
  12. Death benefits for surviving spouse for government employee
  13. Disclosure of vital statistics records
  14. Division of property after dissolution of marriage
  15. Eligibility for housing opportunity allowance program of the Housing, Finance and Development Corporation
  16. Exemption from claims of Department of Human Services for social services payments, financial assistance or burial payments.
  17. Exemption from conveyance tax
  18. Exemption from regulation of condominium sales to owner occupants
  19. Funeral leave for government employees
  20. Homes of totally disabled veterans exempt from property taxes
  21. Income tax deductions, credits, rates exemption and estimates
  22. Inheritance of land patents
  23. Insurance licenses, coverage, eligibility and benefits organization of mutual benefits society
  24. Legal status with partner's children
  25. Making, revoking and objecting to anatomical gifts
  26. Making partner medical decisions
  27. Nonresident tuition deferential waiver
  28. Notice of guardian ad litem proceedings
  29. Notice of probate proceedings
  30. Payment of wages to a relative of deceased employee
  31. Payment of workers' compensation benefits after death
  32. Permission to make arrangements for burial or cremation
  33. Proof of business partnership
  34. Public assistance from the Department of Human Services qualifications at a facility for the elderly
  35. Real property exemption from attachment or execution
  36. Right of survivorship to custodial trust
  37. Right to be notified of parole or escape of inmate
  38. Right to change names
  39. Right to enter into premarital agreement
  40. Right to file action for nonsupport
  41. Right to inherit property
  42. Right to purchase leases and cash freehold agreements concerning the management and disposition of public land
  43. Right to sue for tort and death by wrong ful act
  44. Right to support after divorce
  45. Right to support from spouse
  46. Rights and proceedings for involuntary hospitalization and treatment
  47. Rights by way of dour or courtesy
  48. Rights to notice, protection, benefits and inheritance under the uniform probate code
  49. Social security benefits on the death of spouse
  50. Sole interest in property
  51. Spousal privilege and confidential marriage communications
  52. Spousal immigration benefits
  53. Status of children
  54. Support payments in divorce action
  55. Tax relief for natural disaster losses
  56. Vacation allowance on termination of public employment by death Veterans' preference to spouse in public employment
  57. In vitro fertilization coverage
  58. Waiver of fees for certified copies and searches of vital statistics
DO note that the list of problems associated with not having a legally recognized union is far longer than the privileges that go with a legal one...

QUESTION: How can a gay couple having the above "perks" of marriage (not to mention the emotional benefits that come from being able to publically declare ones love and commitment to another human being) in ANY WAY diminish or deny the marriage of a heterosexual couple (Christian or other)?

If you claim that allowing legal unions for homosexuals "jeopardizes Christian marriage (as though Christians had some kind of proprietary ownership of this institution), I would like a LIST of the alleged deleterious effects of legalizing same-sex marriage (as it once most definitely WAS and sanctioned by the Christain church at that!).

So far, no Christian has yet to LIST any kind of "damage(s?)" that could occur, just a lot of homophobic appeals to fear (something "awful" will happen, even if we can't say just what) that there WILL be such "damage".

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.