Visit site
✟60,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I wanted to start this thread by giving my thoughts on what firearms every Christian should have for home/homestead defense. Everyone should own a .22 Rifle, a shotgun, a repeating rifle, and a handgun. Additionally, you could also have a long range rifle although I personally do not consider it a must. Many times the repeating rifle can double as a long range rifle. My plan is go through each category and provide recommendations/pros/cons of multiple firearms that could fill in these rolls. I will only discuss firearms the I personally have experience with so certainly this will not be an exhaustive list. Others may have different firearms or experiences as well and welcome those comments/suggestions. I have bought multiple firearms through Bud's gun shop so I will list prices that reflect their current price structure. Here we go:

.22 Rifle: A must for prepping/homesteading with multiple uses including small game hunting, finishing larger game or animals that must be put down, and could operate as a defensive repeating rifle if required.
  • Ruger 10/22: By far and away this is probably the most owned .22 rifle out there. It is an exceptional rimfire that is lightweight. Because it is so popular there are countless accessories for this gun including replacement stocks, magazines, sights, etc. I personally have the fiber optic sight version which has really come in handy as my eyes get older. I have ten round flush magazines as well as some of the 25 round magazines. Price: $225-275
  • Marlin 60: Not quite as ubiquitous as the 10/22 but still I fine firearm and in some ways arguably better. I prefer the factory stock of the Model 60 to the 10/22 as it has a slight cheek weld hump. One thing folks may consider a plus is it does not use detachable box magazines but rather a full length tubular magazine similar to a lever action rifle. This negates the need to buy additional magazines for your rifle cutting down on overall cost. The sights are not as refined as the 10/22 but work fine. Price: $164
Pump Action Shotgun: Probably a gun that will be used the most around a homestead. Great for varmints including raccoons and skunks that like to visit the hen house. Because of the versatility of loads, you can hunt big game or birds. Adding more versatility many have the option to replace barrels of various lengths. You could have a 26" barrel for hunting birds and then change out to an 18" barrel for home defense.
  • Mossberg 500: A hallmark shotgun great for right and left handed shooters because of the top of tang safety. Next to the Remington 870 the most sought after shotgun. Pump action is the way to go offering reliability and ease of use. There are lots of aftermarket accessories for this gun including replacement stocks, pistol grips, and forends. Price: $200-400
  • Maverick 88: Probably the best bargain out there for what it is. The Mav 88 is produced by Mossberg and is a budget pump shotgun that really isn't cheap quality. Many (but not all) of the parts are interchangeable with the Mossberg 500. Its the best $200 I ever spent. Price: $207
  • Remington 870: The standard by which all others are judged. There are more 870s in police cruisers and homes across the country than any other pump shotgun. There are a staggering amount of accessories for this gun that you can set it up any way you like. It has legendary reliability. Price: $300-600
  • Winchester 1300: The older models of this pump shotgun are some of the best that were ever produced. I have an older 1300 and it is great quality. All metal construction. Unfortunately a lot of gun makers have started producing more parts with polymers for their guns. This reduces costs and in some cases overall quality of the firearm. The downsides is it was always in shadow of the 870 so there were no where near the number of accessories made for it as there were the 870. Used Price: $300-400
Repeating Rifle/Hunting Rifle: I believe an absolute necessity in a high intensity gun battle. If circumstances are bad for an extended period of time you will need more than a concealed carry handgun to provide for the defense of your family. You could use a shotgun with slugs in a pinch but range will be limited. There will be people that want to take what you have and to kill you in the process. Quite simply, repeating arms allow you to lay down more firepower while reloading less often.
  • M4: Buyer beware AR15s look the same but they are not the same. There are differing levels of quality in AR15s. If you want a mil-spec rifle on par with M4s issued to troops you will want to look at the Colt, BCM, LMT, and Daniel Defense. Other rifles will not be the same level of quality however, you can enhance reliability by replacing the Bolt Carrier Group with a quality unit such as a BCM, Daniel Defense, or LMT. Of course, you get what you pay for, so these four rifles will be more expensive than other offerings. If you see a price on an M4 that appears too good to be true, it is. Despite what many people will say, a quality M4 is very reliable. It requires adequate lubrication and quality magazines. Almost all malfunctions can be traced back to poor lubrication and faulty magazines. The rifle will require more care because of the direct impingement gas system and fouling but is still very reliable. I trust my LMT completely. The overall weight of the gun and ammunition is light compared to other options. PRICE: $1000-1600
  • AK47: A formidable contender to the M4 and the most widely distributed assault rifle on the planet. The reliability is legendary because of the gas piston system. Shoots a .30 caliber bullet but not without a cost. Ammunition is more than twice the weight of 223/5.56 plus the rifle generally weighs 2lbs more than an M4. The AK is more accurate than it is given credit for. The factory sights are not great. They are scout sights offering a shorter sight radius than the M4 but they work fine. Very simple to field strip and clean. Definitely a warrior's gun. Generally the Bulgarian AKs (Arsenal) are considered among the, best however, if you have a good quality Romanian it will serve you just fine. The fit and finish may not be the same but if everything else works well on the rifle you are good to go. PRICE: $500-1200
  • M1A/M14: A beautiful gun that is very capable using the 308 cartridge but let's be perfectly honest: the gun is heavy and so is the ammo. As long as you are in good physical shape and under 40, you may fire when ready. The rifle itself weighs over 10lbs then add the 147gr per round ammunition, hump this rifle for about 20 miles and break out the Doan's Pills. I love them, they are beautiful, accurate, reliable but, day to day carry? I will pass. PRICE: $1500
  • Marlin 336: One of my favorite rifles and very unobtrusive. Can certainly be used for self defense and did so for many years. Many of your 20 inch models can hold 7+1. Other options certainly would include the Henry Rifles, Winchester, Mossberg 464. Some folks just can't bring themselves to carry and M4/AK47 and/or do not want to spend the money on something like that. I get it. The older I get the more I appreciate the craftsmanship and soul of a wood stock firearm. Many of us are on a tight budget and see this as a great option. I couldn't agree more. The Marlin 336W fits just about everyone's budget. PRICE: $407
  • Ruger Gunsite Scout .308: The only bolt action rifle on my list simply because of the box magazine. Maybe alternatively cheaper you could look at the Mossberg MVP although I have no experience with that rifle. Someone who knows how to operate a bolt action can deliver follow up shots quickly. However, if you do not have a box magazine you are limited to 3-4 rounds in a hinged plate design before you have to perform a cumbersome and time burning reload. Can also double as an awesome hunting rifle. PRICE: $744
Handgun Probably the gun you will have with you all the time but never meant to replace a repeating rifle. Handguns are personal defense weapons and secondary to a battle rifle. Quality matters.
  • 1911: A good 1911 is a work of art and an excellent combat handgun. They do require more maintenance and care but are extremely accurate and fast. After following the correct break in procedure, they should be very reliable. Save the custom high end 1911s, Springfield Armory offers one of the best there is. I would look at the mil-spec for around $600 all the way to the TRP for $1500 depending on what your budget affords. PRICE: $600-1500
  • GLOCK: a laughing stock when they first came out dubbed the tupperware pistol they are now the standard by which all others are judged. I speak from experience of tens of thousands of rounds downrange, this is one of the best combat pistols ever designed. My personal favorite is the GLOCK 19 which can be concealed or carried as a full size combat pistol. PRICE: $525 for Gen 3
  • Sig Sauer P226: An awesome battle pistol that has been tested continuously. One of my favorites for the accuracy and reliability. If you do not like the DA/SA trigger configuration, look elsewhere but if you want to master that trigger system this gun will serve you well. A little big for smaller hands and Sig is proud of them charging anywhere from $800-$1050 depending on configuration. A lot of people like these because the SEALs carry them. Yes the Navy issues these to SEALs if they want them but I know a few SEALs and they can pretty much carry anything they want. It is still an awesome pistol nonetheless. PRICE: $800-1050
  • Quality Revolver: Some folks feel more comfortable with these. I would suggest a S&W 442 Airweight, Ruger LCR, or something of similar quality. Double action only revolvers are great for concealed carry because they do not have large protruding sights and hammer spurs to snap on clothing when deholstering from concealed carry. PRICE: $400-500
PRESIDIO

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Only thing I would argue with is the price of the M4. The S&W MP15 and Ruger SR556 are both decent entry level ARs and can be had for right at or just below $600.

Oh, and pistols. If this is going to be for a SHTF scenario or prepper type scenario, then I would eliminate the 1911. Sure, it's a timeless design and a great pistol, but it only holds eight rounds and is heavy.

There are far better suited designs than the 1911 in a situation that calls for capacity, reliability, and ruggedness.

As for other handgun choices, the Sig Sauer P320 is an excellent choice and recently adopted by the Army as their new sidearm. I'd also add the Springfield Armory XD series, S&W M&P series, and the Walther P99 and PPQ.

Upvote 0

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Remington 700 Recall There is s flaw in some trigger groups resulting in accidental discharges.

Oh, and pistols. If this is going to be for a SHTF scenario or prepper type scenario, then I would eliminate the 1911. Sure, it's a timeless design and a great pistol, but it only holds eight rounds and is heavy.

There are far better suited designs than the 1911 in a situation that calls for capacity, reliability, and ruggedness.
While my carry pistol is a Colt Defender 3 inch 1911, I agree with this. My Colt has had custom work, and is a finely tuned and ultra reliable weapon that is all that I could ask for. If I had to fight my way out of a major incident, my Beretta M9 is really a much better combat pistol.

• Agree
Reactions: Servant68
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,493.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Homestead defense; good accurate reliable rifle, a good .22 rifle, and a short shotgun. Hardware is fine, but you also need to be able to use them effectively when and where required. The operatrator is the most important part of the equation.

• Agree
Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

Gaz54au

Apr 23, 2017
Tenterfield
✟12,444.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,
I agree with the weapon selections and the need for practice...there is no substitute for training. Unfortunately the Devil got to Australia and it is nearly impossible for us to own a AR or better.
Any way God bless and keep on prepping...Gaz

Upvote 0

87hunter

May 3, 2017
South Africa
✟9,113.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where I live it is very difficult to get a SLR licence.

My PERSONAL choice based on the laws of my country and the fact I live in the bush.

1. .22 as you stated, has to be bolt action due to laws. Own a 1982 CZ BRNO with magazine. Mainly for rabbits, vermin and teaching people the basics.

2. 308 or 30-06 hunting rifle - once again has to be bolt action. Looking at a Tikka or Howa. Box magazine. 308 works well in the bush, 30-06 has more possibilities when it comes to reloading

3. Shotty - I prefer O/U for clays and wing shooting, but for defense a P/A is better.

4. Pistol - Just started my licensing process for either a CZ75 PO7 or a Glock 26 for concealed carry.
I like 9mm as it is the most common calibre in my area, in the event of needing it somebody will have extra ammo or you could share yours. It's also cheaper to reload/buy meaning more time on the range.

I wish we could own weapons that you mentioned, but just getting one weapon is difficult enough in South Africa.

The rate of farm murders is frighting here, how it has not been declared a genocide is beyond me.

• Informative
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
None
✟30,626.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My additions/preferences.
AR- LWRC di guns are top notch and are going cheap now.
SHOTTY- Moss 590. Tanks with hardly any plastic...if any.
22- Marlin 795. Dirt cheap. BB gun light. Dependable and accurate. Add tech sights and it will be the gun spending the least time in your safe.
WHEEL GUN- Older Smith K or L frame or stainless GP100.
22 PISTOL- Ruger MK. Older ones are awesome unless you want strip them.
BOLT- 308. Older 700 or Savage 110 tactical

For giggles. Build an AR pistol in 8.5 or 10.5 inch with kak tube and brace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,493.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Where I live it is very difficult to get a SLR licence.

My PERSONAL choice based on the laws of my country and the fact I live in the bush.

1. .22 as you stated, has to be bolt action due to laws. Own a 1982 CZ BRNO with magazine. Mainly for rabbits, vermin and teaching people the basics.

2. 308 or 30-06 hunting rifle - once again has to be bolt action. Looking at a Tikka or Howa. Box magazine. 308 works well in the bush, 30-06 has more possibilities when it comes to reloading

3. Shotty - I prefer O/U for clays and wing shooting, but for defense a P/A is better.

4. Pistol - Just started my licensing process for either a CZ75 PO7 or a Glock 26 for concealed carry.
I like 9mm as it is the most common calibre in my area, in the event of needing it somebody will have extra ammo or you could share yours. It's also cheaper to reload/buy meaning more time on the range.

I wish we could own weapons that you mentioned, but just getting one weapon is difficult enough in South Africa.

The rate of farm murders is frighting here, how it has not been declared a genocide is beyond me.
CZ's are nice!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums