• Beneficial and to be encouraged for Christians

• Beneficial but Christians shoud not take it

Results are only viewable after voting.
S

salamacum

What do we think of homeopathy?

On youtube you can find debate on this.

(Dawkins despises it)

I've just and shingles and I have taken some Rhus Tox for 2 reasons.
I've finished the week's course of allopathic antibiotic and antiviral drugs and am still suffering the continuing (fortunately mild) effects of the shingles on my face. (earache and jaw ache). So why not take the homeopathic stuff? After all it's a sugar pill isn't it?
The second reasons is that it was given me by a caring retired chiropractor at church (good evangelical guy) along with B-vitamins.

But i have formed my opinion of the medicine after a week.

But what do you think?

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I haven't used it much but like it well enough. Used to study herbalism and still believe highly in that, have seen positive results trump meds, while other times meds are actually needed. People do over-reach, though.

I'm definitely not an expert on homeopathy, have a book or two on it and find it interesting.

Didn't vote on the poll as none of it fit me. Not seeing how it's a christian issue.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For the most part I don't believe homeopathy is useful. Certainly other alternative treatments can be excellent including herbalist medicine. Homeopathy seems to be a load of rubbish although not harmful unless someone takes the unhealthy approach of ignoring all other forms of treatment.

• Agree
Reactions: HardHead
Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If homeopathy worked as anything but a placebo, a drop of whisky in a glass of water would be stronger than a drop of water in a glass of whisky.

It is at best a placebo and at worst fraud.
whats wrong with placebos? Many of our medicine relies on the placebo effect. Most people would be shocked if they knew just how much.

Upvote 0

SistrNChrist

Aug 17, 2006
NYC
✟30,387.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Homeopathy, for calming your nerves, that is fine. Homeopathy, for curing you of any disease or illness, that is foolish.

acttr
I respectfully disagree with you on that, as in my own life, I have used all natural remedies to cure minor illnesses (common cold, menstrual cramps, etc.), and they have worked far better than pumping my body full of prescription and over the counter drugs for the smallest thing. That being said, ignoring conventional medicine when your illness is more severe can be harmful to your health. In summary, my take on that is that both homeopathy and conventional medicine have benefits, so to go in either extreme can do more harm than good.

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
acttr
I respectfully disagree with you on that, as in my own life, I have used all natural remedies to cure minor illnesses (common cold, menstrual cramps, etc.), and they have worked far better than pumping my body full of prescription and over the counter drugs for the smallest thing. That being said, ignoring conventional medicine when your illness is more severe can be harmful to your health. In summary, my take on that is that both homeopathy and conventional medicine have benefits, so to go in either extreme can do more harm than good.

You're not disagreeing with my whole views. I should have been more detailed, so they wouldn't be misunderstood. Using homeopathy for MINOR illnesses, that will resolve themselves on their own, like a cold or cramps or to put it on an acne spot, is fine, yes. Using it to treat a disease, an illness that needs medication, is foolish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Homeopathy is distinct from natural medicine writ large, herbal medicine, traditional chinese medicine, ayurveda, etc. Homeopathy is a distinct school that goes back less than three-hundred years.

The basic principle of homeopathy is that in order to treat a disease, you must take something that will cause the disease's symptom (say, caffeine for insomnia) and dilute it with so much water that the chance of getting a single molecule of that thing in your medicine is astronomically low.

In other words, your homeopathic pill has no active ingredients in it.

Further reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathic_dilutions

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
where is the non occultic and harmful, as people will use it instead of real medicine. The problem with quackery is they are often used in place, or in some cases even worse used WITH medicine, and can have side effects or even counter act real medicine, like saints johns wart and a few others, that when taken for things like cancer, actually conteract real treatments.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What do we think of homeopathy?

On youtube you can find debate on this.

(Dawkins despises it)

I've just and shingles and I have taken some Rhus Tox for 2 reasons.
I've finished the week's course of allopathic antibiotic and antiviral drugs and am still suffering the continuing (fortunately mild) effects of the shingles on my face. (earache and jaw ache). So why not take the homeopathic stuff? After all it's a sugar pill isn't it?
The second reasons is that it was given me by a caring retired chiropractor at church (good evangelical guy) along with B-vitamins.

But i have formed my opinion of the medicine after a week.

But what do you think?
Other option, dangerous nonsense, that may leave the gullible and credulous at best ripped off, at worst, dead from lack of genuine efficacious and timely treatment.

Reactions: Blue Wren
Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I should also point out the lie of natural herbalism, if it works it has side effects, if it doesn't have side effects it doesn't work. Medicine that has an effect has no way of knowing it's potency or dosage and such, and often there is better medicine that is regulated. There are no regulations or testing done on alot of herbalism especially stuff sold as suppliments and such.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Julie.S

Jan 19, 2016
Pennsylvania
✟21,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
None of the above.

Since you ask for our opinions, mine is that it can be good but it can also be ineffective or harmful. There is no single answer.
I agree if the wrong things are used it can cause great harm.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Pretty much all for it, more so than western med, but I prefer oils, tinctures, and teas.

Yeah, I mainly used herbal remedies I concocted myself rather than homeopathy. I don't trust most supplements sold in stores, much of it is ineffective, such as Echinacea in pill form since when powdered and dried it loses too much effectiveness too quickly anyway. I had a med issue that kept repeating itself with prescription meds, tried a simple homemade remedy and got rid of it permanently. The same thing for my cat with antibiotics for reoccurring urinary issues - tried a supplement for him that balanced his system and he never had an issue again. Of course, sometimes prescription medication actually makes sense and works best, especially if you need something more direct. It depends. Be smart about it and research for yourself.

Reactions: roamer_1
Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I mainly used herbal remedies I concocted myself rather than homeopathy. I don't trust most supplements sold in stores, much of it is ineffective, such as Echinacea in pill form since when powdered and dried it loses too much effectiveness too quickly anyway.

That's right - and in part, it also tends to nullify the most important value of herbs: American medicine touts the very measured and the exact nature of western med... But if a disease (or a body) gets used to the medicine, it can be overcome or rendered ineffective.

Natural medicine is never exactly the same, and is far harder to render ineffective because of it. Variations in sunlight and rain, weather and soil, causes every batch to be different from the last.

I had a med issue that kept repeating itself with prescription meds, tried a simple homemade remedy and got rid of it permanently.

That's right - me too, kinda... I am four years out of a wheelchair (after 7 years in it)- Due entirely to the grace of YHWH, but natural meds played a significant part in my healing, where Western medicine did nought.

It depends. Be smart about it and research for yourself.

That's right too - My rule of thumb is this: If you need something cut off, or put back on, Western Medicine is tops. Emergency and short-term meds, again, Western med is pretty good... But for long term health and fitness, and to avoid emergency strategies, natural medicine is just plain best.

Upvote 0