Kingwood
✟10,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Years ago when I was hospitalized, the pastor of the church (LCMS) I was a member of at that time brought communion to me there (he had a little "kit").

Recently, and for the unforeseen future, I am housebound due to illness. I desperately want to have the Lord's Supper, is this something I can ask my pastor to do for me, to have a home visit with me maybe once a month to do this?

If so, how do I go about asking, I feel kind of embarrassed (I know I shouldn't, but I feel self-conscious about it). We have emailed before, I can reach him that way. Might be less embarrassing for me to ask this way as I feel awkward on the phone.

If this isn't something I should request, please let me know - I don't want to make a huge faux pas.

I don't want to put my pastor on the spot asking about it without gathering information and insight on this here first.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Reactions: LeGato

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't see why it would be a problem. Both the ELCA and LCMS churches I was associated with both offered communion for home bound and/or sick people. Both said to simply call the church office, pastor, or to email them with the request. It should be a fairly standard request to the pastor.

• Agree
Reactions: LeGato
Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,721.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Oh, there's no need to be ashamed! Email your pastor — I'm confident that he would be glad to deliver to you the gifts of our Lord's Word and Eucharist. I know I would, because that is our calling and joy in Christ.

We should never be ashamed of asking for God's Word and Sacraments. The Church will find a way to give it to you if you're unable to attend the divine service due to illness. God has not instituted His means of grace as hindrances but as gifts that should be accessible to all.

The peace of Christ to you!

Upvote 0

AnneFaye

Jul 21, 2021
Kingwood
✟10,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I don't see why it would be a problem. Both the ELCA and LCMS churches I was associated with both offered communion for home bound and/or sick people. Both said to simply call the church office, pastor, or to email them with the request. It should be a fairly standard request to the pastor.
Thank you! :)

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

AnneFaye

Jul 21, 2021
Kingwood
✟10,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Oh, there's no need to be ashamed! Email your pastor — I'm confident that he would be glad to deliver to you the gifts of our Lord's Word and Eucharist. I know I would, because that is our calling and joy in Christ.

We should never be ashamed of asking for God's Word and Sacraments. The Church will find a way to give it to you if you're unable to attend the divine service due to illness. God has not instituted His means of grace as hindrances but as gifts that should be accessible to all.

The peace of Christ to you!
Thank you, what a beautiful way to put it, and it eases my mind. Hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving! :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,721.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, what a beautiful way to put it, and it eases my mind. Hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving! :)

I'm glad to hear that, and thank you — happy Thanksgiving to you as well! God bless! :)

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My Pastor does this all the time; on special request, and on a schedule for many of our older and chronically infirm. I often accompany him on Saturdays or if I have a day off.

Please call him!

Upvote 0