ON
✟32,481.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do we only get the Holy Spirit after baptism? When Jesus was hanging on the cross, another man with him said sth like that he believes in him and then Jesus said that he will be with him in paradise. So it shows that just having faith in Him not necessarily being baptised is sufficient, in some cases or in all cases? Thank you

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Do we only get the Holy Spirit after baptism? When Jesus was hanging on the cross, another man with him said sth like that he believes in him and then Jesus said that he will be with him in paradise. So it shows that just having faith in Him not necessarily being baptised is sufficient, in some cases or in all cases? Thank you
Regeneration is by the Holy Spirit, and not as a result of Baptism. Baptism is a sacrament, and an obedience to God, a statement, a witness to both man and God concerning membership in the body of Christ, and not a means by which God saves.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Remember what the word "holy" means - set apart.
So as soon as a person's spirit in them is alive and set apart to Yahweh, by Yahweh (no one can set apart without Him),
they are "holy"! i.e. they are "set apart"

Reactions: Reganne
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

The thief on the cross died under the old covenant.

As we read in Acts, the Holy Spirit is given to a convert through the laying on of hands, or in one case through the prayer, of an apostle who has the gift of bestowing the Holy Spirit on another.

Acts 8 has it that even a person who has believed and been baptized in water does not receive the Holy Spirit except by the prayer and laying on of hands.

Upvote 0

Theadorus

Supporter
May 9, 2017
Colorado springs
✟124,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with Mark, and you are correct, baptism isn't what saves you it's your faith in Jesus that saves you (Romans 10:8-9, believe with your heart and confess with your mouth).

As Mark also put it, water baptism is something do as statement of our faith. It symbolizes us dying to our old selves (dying to sin), and being reborn again like Jesus (righteous, blameless, spotless).
Now, you do have the baptism of the Holy Spirit, and what that does is allows to you operate in the power of the Holy Spirit. Baptism of the Holy Spirit isn't something that saves you, it just allow you to operate in the supernatural power of God.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Faith in God saves in all cases. After Jesus sent the Holy Spirit, it was considered "baptism" by the Holy Spirit that changed people.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Depends on what you mean by Baptism. There is baptism in water and likewise is the Holy Spirit. If you have been regenerated, then you have the Holy Spirit in you. That only requires belief. From there the Holy Spirit will work in your life to sanctify you. If you are talking about gifts, that is another subject.
Blessings

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Tayla

Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So it shows that just having faith in Him not necessarily being baptised is sufficient, in some cases or in all cases?
The Catholic view is that you must be baptized, or in the process of getting baptized (even though that might not be scheduled and allowed to occur until months in the future).

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Faith in God saves in all cases. After Jesus sent the Holy Spirit, it was considered "baptism" by the Holy Spirit that changed people.
The doctrines that nicely arrange how this all works may be worth studying, but I can tell you from experience that God does whatever he wants however he wants and he can do so without contradicting scriptures and without explaining to us what he is doing.

We know from Scripture that regeneration is birth by the Spirit, and there are many indications that this is by the Spirit placing himself within us. Whether at other times there is a filling of the Spirit, though not irrelevant, we need to understand the Spirit does whatever he wants and doesn't need to answer to us. This life is not about us, not even about us understanding him. It is about Him. Even our self-esteeming obedience is not as important as knowing Him (not at all saying that knowing Him can happen without obedience --don't misquote me, but) God is the one putting values on all that happens and what we do. Our assessments not valid, though we must do the best we can --"lean not upon your own understanding", but continue to trust in Him, and watch for the path to have already opened up.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
The doctrines that nicely arrange how this all works may be worth studying, but I can tell you from experience that God does whatever he wants however he wants and he can do so without contradicting scriptures and without explaining to us what he is doing.

We know from Scripture that regeneration is birth by the Spirit, and there are many indications that this is by the Spirit placing himself within us. Whether at other times there is a filling of the Spirit, though not irrelevant, we need to understand the Spirit does whatever he wants and doesn't need to answer to us. This life is not about us, not even about us understanding him. It is about Him. Even our self-esteeming obedience is not as important as knowing Him (not at all saying that knowing Him can happen without obedience --don't misquote me, but) God is the one putting values on all that happens and what we do. Our assessments not valid, though we must do the best we can --"lean not upon your own understanding", but continue to trust in Him, and watch for the path to have already opened up.

I already answered you a long-ish post; maybe it would have been better to just say, the Spirit of God is not answerable to us, and does not behave exactly the same in any instance, nor for anyone. Yet his promises remain true. What we think is not reliable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟153,927.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Luke 11:13 "If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?" - it's just a matter of asking;
1 John 5:1 "Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God" - it's just a matter of faith;

To know you have the Holy Spirit, just ask and believe, and then notice your life over time producing the fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, etc.).
TD:)

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Luke 11:13 "If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?" - it's just a matter of asking;
1 John 5:1 "Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God" - it's just a matter of faith;

To know you have the Holy Spirit, just ask and believe, and then notice your life over time producing the fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, etc.).
I really don't have a problem if you think the egg comes before the chicken, if at least you agree it is all to God's credit and none of man's, and that God can indeed do whatever he set out to do, and will not let allow even one sheep to be lost. I myself can't see how it can be possible that our action is the cause of salvation nor the spirit occupying within, nor even the filling.

We do so because God is doing so. "He is the one who begins, and drives and completes all processes" is a crass way to put it. We at best agree, not cause. THAT is our free will.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟153,927.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I really don't have a problem if you think the egg comes before the chicken, if at least you agree it is all to God's credit and none of man's, and that God can indeed do whatever he set out to do, and will not let allow even one sheep to be lost. I myself can't see how it can be possible that our action is the cause of salvation nor the spirit occupying within, nor even the filling.

We do so because God is doing so. "He is the one who begins, and drives and completes all processes" is a crass way to put it. We at best agree, not cause. THAT is our free will.

Not sure why you responded to me in this case, as I was replying to the OP. I'm not clear what your point is. Was this a mistake? Were you trying to respond to someone else?

Upvote 0

Haydee

Sep 29, 2018
QLD
✟14,801.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Do we only get the Holy Spirit after baptism?

You receive the holy spirit once you accept Jesus into your life as your Lord and Saviour. The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are a unit. For example, I'm a sister, a mother and a daughter. I have 3 separate roles but I'm one person. The same goes for the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Quayle

Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Not sure why you responded to me in this case, as I was replying to the OP. I'm not clear what your point is. Was this a mistake? Were you trying to respond to someone else?
I was responding to you. Your post seemed at the time I read it (but admittedly maybe I was on a rant and read something into it) to make the action of the Spirit, (in this case, even the action of the Father), the result of the action of the person.

I am not going to say that the mentioned request is of no resulting response. But nothing ever happens but by the choice and indeed the plan of God, spoken and finished.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟153,927.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was responding to you. Your post seemed at the time I read it (but admittedly maybe I was on a rant and read something into it) to make the action of the Spirit, (in this case, even the action of the Father), the result of the action of the person.

I am not going to say that the mentioned request is of no resulting response. But nothing ever happens but by the choice and indeed the plan of God, spoken and finished.

Yes, I believe you read something into my post that wasn't there. When an OP asks a sincere question like they did, the best answer is an accommodation to where they are in understanding. It would not be appropriate to try and convince them to understand a mature concept like believing God is doing the work in them. It is appropriate to give advice to them to seek God and His blessing, just like Jesus does in the gospels. Agree?

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes, I believe you read something into my post that wasn't there. When an OP asks a sincere question like they did, the best answer is an accommodation to where they are in understanding. It would not be appropriate to try and convince them to understand a mature concept like believing God is doing the work in them. It is appropriate to give advice to them to seek God and His blessing, just like Jesus does in the gospels. Agree?
Agreed, and my apologies.

Upvote 0