Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How do you know when the holy spirit is telling you to do something? And how can you tell its just not your own feelings and desires?
I keep a couple of things in mind...1. how does it line up with scripture? The HS is always consistent with scripture and 2. is there confirmation? For example one time I felt like God was calling us to go to Washington State. Without saying anything to my husband God was prodding him the same way. This is a confirmation...yes we went and God did some amazing things in our lives as a result but He also further confirmed it by giving us the money and opportunity to go that we didn't have the ability to have on our own. It is sometimes hard to wait and trust God but He is the one who opens and closes doors He wants opened or closed.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
How do you know when the holy spirit is telling you to do something? And how can you tell its just not your own feelings and desires?
Test, test, test.
So far, whenever someone has said they thought the holy spirit told them something, it turned out not to be.
i.e. with people there is not a good track record.

On the other hand, Jesus says "MY sheep KNOW MY VOICE" they will not follow another. So that is His Promise, His Word, and is ALWAYS TRUE. Test , test, test. So far, whenever Jesus called His sheep, and they followed Him, they knew it and were continuing daily in continual unshakeable PEACE, wonderful JOY, and pure untainted Righteousness.

Reactions: Jenniferdiana
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
What do you mean test
The simplest and most important test,
the one most often neglected (thus so many going in error every day),
is to read Scripture as often as possible out of love and fervent seeking for God's Way. His Kingdom.
Pray continually, (ask the Father in heaven to accomplish this, as most religious leaders don't even know how to themselves) ,
and let the PEACE of CHRIST dwell in your heart and keep your mind free from all the doubts and temptations of the enemy ---
as Jesus said over Jerusalem "oh if you had only been willing, I would have taken your children under my wings and comforted and healed them" ...
so most of all be willing to let Jesus be the Shepherd He Is, Healing and Comforting and Restoring and Redeeming ...... .....

finally, all in all, everything must line up in harmony with All Scripture. This is what the Bereans were praised by God's Word for - testing a message BEFORE believing or accepting it, to see that it is in God's Word, not against or opposed to God's Word.
This requires whole-heartedness , pure devotion to God alone,
and reading His Word frequently.

Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I feel you can pray to Jesus and ask Jesus if the Holy Spirit is prompting you to do something.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You should assume it's your mind prompting you based on your experiences, intuition, knowledge, and circumstances. You should judge your intended actions based on wisdom, prudence, and the skill of rational thought.

The influence of the Holy Spirit should be limited to worship of God, the experience of awe when enjoying beauty, the insights in hearing and reading God's word, reaching out to express love of God in worship and praise, and etc. I all-too-often witness people living their lives in dread and fear trying desperately to follow the dictates and promptings of the Holy Spirit. It's a rat race.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
There are a number of tests that must be applied to any prompting to do something that might seem to be from the Holy Spirit:

1. Is the prompting consistent with Scripture? And not just an isolated verse but a thread of principles that run right through the Scriptures.

2. Is it consistent with your present circumstances?

3. Do your trusted mentors concur with your prompting?

4. If you are married, what does your wife think of the prompting?

5. Do you feel a settled peace about the prompting involving an absence of feelings of urgency that action has to be taken immediately?

6. Do you think that acting on your prompting is going to enhance your experience with God?

All these tests need to have a positive result for you to be sure that the prompting comes from the Holy Spirit. If one of the tests fail, then you must continue to wait on God to be doubly sure that the prompting is correct or whether it comes out of your own ambition or desire.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There are a few things that can play on us:

1) Our own desire
2) God's leading
3) The devils driving

It can be hard to tell which is which. And we are all learning. But normally in life there is nothing so urgent that God needs to direct us in the everyday life (the natural life). The bible promises us that our steps will be ordered by God as we trust and serve Him, we will just naturally move into God's plan (which is for our good, all things working together for good). However a person who seeks to live a Godly life will be led by the Holy Spirit (a person who seeks to live the spiritual life). By this I mean direction will come to us as we seek to progress God's kingdom.

The primary problem is discerning God's leading is all spiritual direction seems the same. A demon can send a vision, so too can God, and they will look the same. Think of dreams as an example, all dreams are the same, they have vision and feeling. But to tell which dreams are from God or the devil, or our selves is impossible to tell. The same is true of visions in the day, they have sight, and feeling. So here is our problem, it is truly impossible to tell what is coming from which source. If it is truly God he will make it so clear we can not deny it. Otherwise be slow to trust dreams, visions, or direction, especially if it involves taking a risk of offending or hurting a person, or could hurt you.

Often you can only tell if a dream or vision was from God after it comes to pass, and you see "Oh that glorified God", or "Some good came out of that".

Very few people can "Know God's voice", and I certainly don't claim to "know it".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
There are a few things that can play on us:

1) Our own desire
2) God's leading
3) The devils driving

It can be hard to tell which is which. And we are all learning. But normally in life there is nothing so urgent that God needs to direct us in the everyday life (the natural life). The bible promises us that our steps will be ordered by God as we trust and serve Him, we will just naturally move into God's plan (which is for our good, all things working together for good). However a person who seeks to live a Godly life will be led by the Holy Spirit (a person who seeks to live the spiritual life). By this I mean direction will come to us as we seek to progress God's kingdom.

The primary problem is discerning God's leading is all spiritual direction seems the same. A demon can send a vision, so too can God, and they will look the same. Think of dreams as an example, all dreams are the same, they have vision and feeling. But to tell which dreams are from God or the devil, or our selves is impossible to tell. The same is true of visions in the day, they have sight, and feeling. So here is our problem, it is truly impossible to tell what is coming from which source. If it is truly God he will make it so clear we can not deny it. Otherwise be slow to trust dreams, visions, or direction, especially if it involves taking a risk of offending or hurting a person, or could hurt you.

Often you can only tell if a dream or vision was from God after it comes to pass, and you see "Oh that glorified God", or "Some good came out of that".

Very few people can "Know God's voice", and I certainly don't claim to "know it".
There is a quality about the voice of the Holy Spirit within us that enhances the fruit of the Spirit in us. Therefore we will experience love, peace and joy, and the voice will be kind and gentle and will promote faithfulness to God and self control.

If there is a driving voice that brings confusion, lack of patience, "spookiness", or feelings of guilt if we don't obey it, then we can know that it comes from the world, flesh or the devil.

I have been living in the light of His countenance and hearing His voice in my heart for the last 50 years, so I know how to recognise Him when He speaks to me.

Upvote 0