Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Most common traditional view:
At the point of born-again ie when u are saved.

Extreme charismatic view:
When you can speak in tongues/baptism of the Holy Spirit as in Acts 2

Middle ground charismatic view and my church's view:
Holy Spirit becomes 'resident' at pt of born again, but becomes 'president' at pt of Baptism of Holy Spirit with tongues as sign.

Upvote 0
There is no definitive time when the Spirit will work in you. Pray for the Holy Spirit to work in you.

Jim Cymbala has a great series of books, 1. Fresh Power, 2. Fresh Water, & 3. Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire. He is a big believer of the Holy Spirit working inside of us and asking God for it. He preaches heavly and has many testimonies on the issue. Good reading for Christians.

Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟13,302.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm just going to speak for myself here and I have to make it brief since I have to get to bed soon. I personally recieved the Holy Spirit when I asked for God for him to have the Holy Spirit feel me up when I was "born again". Holy Spirit helped me become wise to God's word where before when I was antichristian I was so far away from understanding the Bible. My depression was removed from me after suffering extremly from it for a year. Also I learned convictions in my life and what to stay away from and what I should do more of. Well goodnight everyone! :)

Upvote 0
I believe that whether or not you speak in tongues, if you have accepted Christ the Holy Spirit works through you. Paul wrote that the fruit of the Spirit are peace, joy, love, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance. As far as spiritual gifts go, we find in Romans 12:4-8, 1 Corinthians 12:4-18, 1 Peter 4:10-11, and Matthew 25:15, that each person has his or her own unique spiritual gifts, given to us by God in accordance to his perfect plan. We each have different spiritual gifts and need each other so that we may make up the body of Christ. Some spiritual gifts listed in the above verses are: the message of wisdom, knowledge, faith, healing, miraculous powers, prophecy, distinguishing between spirits, speaking in tongues, interpretation of tongues, teaching, encouraging, contributing to others' needs, leadership, and mercy. So even if you never speak in tongues, it does not mean that you have not received the Holy Spirit; tongues may not be a gift of yours, or if it is you might just not have experienced it yet.

From what I have heard from people who have spoken in tongues, it does not come from our own wanting to speak in tongues, but depends on whether or not it is part of God's will. Still, I see nothing wrong with praying for a spiritual gift as it is simply wanting to grow deeper into Christ and to serve the Kingdom.

God bless!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.