Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the explanation. I always appreciate reading your perspective on these things. And I agree to an extent with what you have written.

From my perspective the outpouring at Pentecost was the initiation of the promised Holy Spirit. The comforter and guide that Jesus had promised would be with them in his physical absence.

The initial outpouring was on those believers who gathered on that day. Then AFTER Peter's sermon, the three thousand that were added to their number that day received the Spirit. NOTICE this was a RESULT of the outpouring NOT the outpouring itself. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved. (water baptized and Spirit baptized)

Therefore, whether individuals or groups of various numbers, the baptism with the Spirit was an extension of the outpouring at Pentecost.

Perhaps the issue is a matter of semantics.

For me I read in Acts ch. 1 where Christ speaks of the baptism with the Holy Spirit and clearly identifies it with the promise of the sending of the Spirit which happened in the upper room on Pentecost.

I think when speaking of our receiving of the Spirit the proper language to use is to speak of our receiving the Spirit, or receiving the gift of the Spirit, or the indwelling of the Spirit (etc). But "baptism with the Holy Spirit" should be restricted to how it's used in Scripture.

Because, absolutely, we receive the Holy Spirit, He Himself is a gift that we receive. He is the guarantee, the deposit, of the indelible promise of God that we shall be raised up on the last day and live forever with God in the Age to Come. It is by the Spirit that we can call God "Father".

The promise of the Spirit is given to us through the working of God, through Word and Sacrament. So that St. Paul can say in Ephesians that we have been sealed with the Spirit when we trusted in the Gospel. And St. Peter can say that ours is the gift of the Spirit in Baptism. And Paul again can say in 1 Corinthians that as the one Body of Christ sharing in the one Baptism we have drank of the one and the same Spirit. The Spirit gives us life, and it is He whom we have received as a gift from God, by God's grace, through faith.

So that everyone who belongs to Christ can say, with confidence, that the Spirit lives in them. Not by anything they have done, but because of God's own word and promise in the Gospel. We can point to the external, objective working of God--the preaching of the Gospel which we have heard, the water of Baptism, the bread and wine of the Eucharist, etc--and say that here, outside of myself, by God's own word and promise, that I am the benefactor of what God has promised. That it's not up to me to feel a certain way, or to have a certain subjective experience, or up to me to believe all the right things, think all the right things, do all the right things. It is from outside of myself, in the faithful working and promise of God, that I have faith, and life, justification, and hope, and peace, and salvation.

The natural inclination of man is to want to claim something for ourselves, to say we contributed something. But Paul wants to be clear that even faith is from God (Ephesians 2:8), so we cannot even boast in that one small thing. And this is good news, because it's not up to us, it's up to God, and God is good, He is faithful even in our faithlessness. That's why we look to outside of ourselves, to outside of our experiences, to Christ, to Christ's word, to Christ's Sacraments, to the promises of God external to ourselves. When we look inside of ourselves we will only ever find rot and bone, but in Christ there is eternal life.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
But "baptism with the Holy Spirit" should be restricted to how it's used in Scripture.
This was presented in the OP #1 and unacknowledged.

"However, you cannot "tuck away" the baptism of the Holy Spirit under water baptism as if
it is all one thing. When you study the baptism of the Holy Spirit in: Acts 2 Acts 4 Acts 10
and Acts 19 you will find that it is a corporate experience, unifying the members of Christ's body, empowering them to carry out their mandate in Christ. The instructions pertaining to this baptism are never applied to an individual,
for all who are in Christ are born again from above, and are sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise. Ephesians 1:13 Ephesians 4:30

For example, Philip the evangelist converting and baptizing the eunuch Acts 8:26

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

For me I read in Acts ch. 1 where Christ speaks of the baptism with the Holy Spirit and clearly identifies it with the promise of the sending of the Spirit which happened in the upper room on Pentecost.

I think when speaking of our receiving of the Spirit the proper language to use is to speak of our receiving the Spirit, or receiving the gift of the Spirit, or the indwelling of the Spirit (etc). But "baptism with the Holy Spirit" should be restricted to how it's used in Scripture.

Because, absolutely, we receive the Holy Spirit, He Himself is a gift that we receive. He is the guarantee, the deposit, of the indelible promise of God that we shall be raised up on the last day and live forever with God in the Age to Come. It is by the Spirit that we can call God "Father".

The promise of the Spirit is given to us through the working of God, through Word and Sacrament. So that St. Paul can say in Ephesians that we have been sealed with the Spirit when we trusted in the Gospel. And St. Peter can say that ours is the gift of the Spirit in Baptism. And Paul again can say in 1 Corinthians that as the one Body of Christ sharing in the one Baptism we have drank of the one and the same Spirit. The Spirit gives us life, and it is He whom we have received as a gift from God, by God's grace, through faith.

So that everyone who belongs to Christ can say, with confidence, that the Spirit lives in them. Not by anything they have done, but because of God's own word and promise in the Gospel. We can point to the external, objective working of God--the preaching of the Gospel which we have heard, the water of Baptism, the bread and wine of the Eucharist, etc--and say that here, outside of myself, by God's own word and promise, that I am the benefactor of what God has promised. That it's not up to me to feel a certain way, or to have a certain subjective experience, or up to me to believe all the right things, think all the right things, do all the right things. It is from outside of myself, in the faithful working and promise of God, that I have faith, and life, justification, and hope, and peace, and salvation.

The natural inclination of man is to want to claim something for ourselves, to say we contributed something. But Paul wants to be clear that even faith is from God (Ephesians 2:8), so we cannot even boast in that one small thing. And this is good news, because it's not up to us, it's up to God, and God is good, He is faithful even in our faithlessness. That's why we look to outside of ourselves, to outside of our experiences, to Christ, to Christ's word, to Christ's Sacraments, to the promises of God external to ourselves. When we look inside of ourselves we will only ever find rot and bone, but in Christ there is eternal life.

-CryptoLutheran
Thanks for another thoughtful and detailed post. I appreciate it.

I would like to add a few more points about the difference between the Baptism with the Holy Spirit and the indwelling. Like you said, "Perhaps the issue is a matter of semantics." Yes, I think we agree for the most part.

One key point I have noticed is language that refers to the Spirit either "on" or "in" an individual. In reference to Pentecost and the Baptism with the Holy Spirit, Jesus said the Spirit would come "on" them. And that they would receive power. (manifestations of the Spirit) In contrast to this, we refer to the indwelling Spirit as being "in" us, of course.

Acts 1:8
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

• Useful
Reactions: Navair2
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This was presented in the OP #1 and unacknowledged.

"However, you cannot "tuck away" the baptism of the Holy Spirit under water baptism as if
it is all one thing. When you study the baptism of the Holy Spirit in: Acts 2 Acts 4 Acts 10
and Acts 19 you will find that it is a corporate experience, unifying the members of Christ's body, empowering them to carry out their mandate in Christ. The instructions pertaining to this baptism are never applied to an individual,
for all who are in Christ are born again from above, and are sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise. Ephesians 1:13 Ephesians 4:30

For example, Philip the evangelist converting and baptizing the eunuch Acts 8:26
Did the Apostle Paul (Saul) receive the Baptism with the Holy Spirit?
If so, where is the corporate experience?

Acts 9:17-19
Then Ananias went to the house and entered it. Placing his hands on Saul, he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord—Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you were coming here—has sent me so that you may see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” 18 Immediately, something like scales fell from Saul’s eyes, and he could see again. He got up and was baptized, 19 and after taking some food, he regained his strength.
Saul spent several days with the disciples in Damascus.

• Useful
Reactions: Navair2
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Saul was commissioned by the Lord Himself in the blinding Glory of Heaven.
Acts 26:16. But rise and stand on your feet; for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to make you a minister and a witness both of the things which you have seen and of the things which I will yet reveal to you.
And yet we are told this prior to his missionary journeys:
Acts 13:
Now in the church that was at Antioch there were certain prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. [Note the functioning body of Christ in the small group fellowship at Antioch]
2 As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, Now separate to Me
Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.
3 Then, having fasted and prayed, and laid hands on them, they sent them away.
4 So, being sent out by the Holy Spirit, they went down to Seleucia, and from there they sailed to Cyprus.

This is what we always have referred to as receiving the anointing or covering of the Holy Spirit.
There is the laying on of hands of ministers.

Ephesians 4:
And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some
pastors and teachers,
12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ.

I experience the presence of the Lord in my time of devotions for several hours each morning before
I start posting. I know what it means to abide in the Spirit, as I have experienced Him for 25 years.
I also know the kavod presence of the Lord that falls on us in group meetings, intense praying, and
preparations prior to outreach. I am not talking doctrines, I am sharing experiences. I know I am
an anointed teacher by the Holy Spirit because 20 years ago a group of leaders in my city laid hands
on me because they saw the anointing of the Lord already working in my teaching. What changed after
the laying on of hands was not how I taught. I was an instructor at the Navy Nuclear Training Unit for
years in the 70's and earned accommodations for excellence. What changed was what I taught, what
I began to see in the scriptures that I never saw before because I had been operating in my own natural
abilities. I could go on, but this is enough talk about me. It is a testimony, but it is awkward nonetheless. By the way, that is when I first was addressed as Minister Monardo, which I totally wanted nothing to do
with, and continued to go by brother Jim among all but the ministers who had ordained me. When I
created my login for this site, the Holy Spirit told me to go by Minister Monardo. At first I said, Why? LOL
Then I remembered 20 years ago and realized, okay, I guess it is time for me to own it. Such is retirement.:)

• Winner
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Saul was commissioned by the Lord Himself in the blinding Glory of Heaven.
Acts 26:16. But rise and stand on your feet; for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to make you a minister and a witness both of the things which you have seen and of the things which I will yet reveal to you.
And yet we are told this prior to his missionary journeys:
Acts 13:
Now in the church that was at Antioch there were certain prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. [Note the functioning body of Christ in the small group fellowship at Antioch]
2 As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, Now separate to Me
Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.
3 Then, having fasted and prayed, and laid hands on them, they sent them away.
4 So, being sent out by the Holy Spirit, they went down to Seleucia, and from there they sailed to Cyprus.

This is what we always have referred to as receiving the anointing or covering of the Holy Spirit.
There is the laying on of hands of ministers.

Ephesians 4:
And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some
pastors and teachers,
12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ.

I experience the presence of the Lord in my time of devotions for several hours each morning before
I start posting. I know what it means to abide in the Spirit, as I have experienced Him for 25 years.
I also know the kavod presence of the Lord that falls on us in group meetings, intense praying, and
preparations prior to outreach. I am not talking doctrines, I am sharing experiences. I know I am
an anointed teacher by the Holy Spirit because 20 years ago a group of leaders in my city laid hands
on me because they saw the anointing of the Lord already working in my teaching. What changed after
the laying on of hands was not how I taught. I was an instructor at the Navy Nuclear Training Unit for
years in the 70's and earned accommodations for excellence. What changed was what I taught, what
I began to see in the scriptures that I never saw before because I had been operating in my own natural
abilities. I could go on, but this is enough talk about me. It is a testimony, but it is awkward nonetheless. By the way, that is when I first was addressed as Minister Monardo, which I totally wanted nothing to do
with, and continued to go by brother Jim among all but the ministers who had ordained me. When I
created my login for this site, the Holy Spirit told me to go by Minister Monardo. At first I said, Why? LOL
Then I remembered 20 years ago and realized, okay, I guess it is time for me to own it. Such is retirement.:)
Reminded me of this.

Romans 14:5
One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind.

• Useful
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Reminded me of this.

Romans 14:5
One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind.
Yes, every day has been the same for me for the past two years. I am not sure what to rest from, so
I am thinking that is what the scripture means, "For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God from His." Hebrews 4:10.
Retired with God. No golf clubs.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

-CryptoLutheran
The norm is Baptism by water.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
One key point I have noticed is language that refers to the Spirit either "on" or "in" an individual. In reference to Pentecost and the Baptism with the Holy Spirit, Jesus said the Spirit would come "on" them. And that they would receive power. (manifestations of the Spirit) In contrast to this, we refer to the indwelling Spirit as being "in" us, of course.
2 It is like the precious oil upon the head,
Running down on the beard,
The beard of Aaron,
Running down on the edge of his garments.
3 It is like the dew of Hermon,
Descending upon the mountains of Zion;
For there the Lord commanded the blessing—
Life forevermore.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The beard of Aaron,
Life forevermore.
For the correct understanding of Paul here:
Ephesians 4:
I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called,
2 with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love,
3 endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling;
5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism;
6 one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Psalm 133:1. Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!

Not the personal indwelling Spirit. The Anointing.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The beard of Aaron,
Life forevermore.
Representative of the Spirit "on". (as opposed to "in")

• Agree
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If so, where is the corporate experience?

Then Ananias went to the house and entered it. Placing his hands on Saul, he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord—Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you were coming here—has sent me so that you may see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” 18 Immediately, something like scales fell from Saul’s eyes, and he could see again. He got up and was baptized, 19 and after taking some food, he regained his strength.
Hi and YES SAUL did receive the HOLY SPIRIT !!

#1 Saul / Paul received the HOLY SPIRIT when Saul was saved in Acts 9:6 when Saul said LORDM MWHAT DO MYOU WISH ME TO DO ?

#2 The KEY word is LORD , which says that SAUL accepted Jesus as his LORD and MASTER !

#3 1 Cor 12:3 that NO ONE CALLS JESUS , LORD except by the HOLY SPIRIT !!

#4 Rom 10:9 reads says all have to confess with your mouth the LORD and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead , you will be saved !!

#5 The Greek word LORD JESUS is in the ACCUSATIVE CASE is LIMITED has to say the words LORD JESUS !!

#6 The words HOLY SPIRIT is in the Greek DATIVE CASE and means the words HOLY SPIRIT is in the Greek DATIVE CASE which is in the DATIVE CASE and the DIRECT OBJECT of the Adjective and noun !

This all means that SAUL spoke by POWER OF HOLY SPIRIT !!

When you add and say by ( THE ) HOLY SPIRIT it means the the PERSON OF THE HOLY SPIRIT !!

When it reads HOLY SPIRIT , it means POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
like in John 20:22 and 23 !!

dan p

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi and YES SAUL did receive the HOLY SPIRIT !!

#1 Saul / Paul received the HOLY SPIRIT when Saul was saved in Acts 9:6 when Saul said LORDM MWHAT DO MYOU WISH ME TO DO ?

#2 The KEY word is LORD , which says that SAUL accepted Jesus as his LORD and MASTER !

#3 1 Cor 12:3 that NO ONE CALLS JESUS , LORD except by the HOLY SPIRIT !!

#4 Rom 10:9 reads says all have to confess with your mouth the LORD and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead , you will be saved !!

#5 The Greek word LORD JESUS is in the ACCUSATIVE CASE is LIMITED has to say the words LORD JESUS !!

#6 The words HOLY SPIRIT is in the Greek DATIVE CASE and means the words HOLY SPIRIT is in the Greek DATIVE CASE which is in the DATIVE CASE and the DIRECT OBJECT of the Adjective and noun !

This all means that SAUL spoke by POWER OF HOLY SPIRIT !!

When you add and say by ( THE ) HOLY SPIRIT it means the the PERSON OF THE HOLY SPIRIT !!

When it reads HOLY SPIRIT , it means POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
like in John 20:22 and 23 !!

dan p
What do you make of this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you make of this?

Hi and here is how I reply !!

#1 And might be full of HOLY SPIRIT !!

#2 Notice that the Greek ARTICLE ( THE ) IS NOT IN THE Greek TEXT , so check STRONG'S and see !!

#3 If the Greek ARTICLE ( THE ) it speaks to the INDEWLLING of the HOLY SPIRIT !!

#4 But if the Greek ( THE ) was in the Greek Text , like FULL OF HOLY SPIRIT , it speaks about the POWER OF HOLY SPIRIT !

#5 The Greek ARTICLE ( THE ) always point to something SPECIFIC !

#6 , SAUL in Acts 9:6 when he spoke , LORD , 1 Cor 12:3 says THAT KNOW ONE can call Jesus , LORD , except by the HOLY SPIRIT and means that SAUL had the HOLY SPIRIT before SAUL spoke to Ananias !

#7 Also notice that in Acts 9:17 the Greek are in the Greek GENATIVE CASE and that means verse 17 SAUL was in PROSESION OFMTHE HOLY SPIRIT !!

dan p

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi and here is how I reply !!

#1 And might be full of HOLY SPIRIT !!

#2 Notice that the Greek ARTICLE ( THE ) IS NOT IN THE Greek TEXT , so check STRONG'S and see !!

#3 If the Greek ARTICLE ( THE ) it speaks to the INDEWLLING of the HOLY SPIRIT !!

#4 But if the Greek ( THE ) was in the Greek Text , like FULL OF HOLY SPIRIT , it speaks about the POWER OF HOLY SPIRIT !

#5 The Greek ARTICLE ( THE ) always point to something SPECIFIC !

#6 , SAUL in Acts 9:6 when he spoke , LORD , 1 Cor 12:3 says THAT KNOW ONE can call Jesus , LORD , except by the HOLY SPIRIT and means that SAUL had the HOLY SPIRIT before SAUL spoke to Ananias !

#7 Also notice that in Acts 9:17 the Greek are in the Greek GENATIVE CASE and that means verse 17 SAUL was in PROSESION OFMTHE HOLY SPIRIT !!

dan p
So you agree that there is a subsequent experience with the Holy Spirit after conversion?

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,641.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do you consider what happened at Cornelius' house a second outpouring? I see it as an extension of the outpouring at Pentecost. Doesn't it cause doctrinal issues to claim that there were two outpourings? Acts 2 says it was for ALL people. (not just the Jews)

Acts 2:17
“‘In the last days, God says,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your young men will see visions,
your old men will dream dreams.

In the OT, gentiles are referred to as "dogs" so Joel cannot be referring to gentiles there. It was only for Jews in the nation of Israel.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the OT, gentiles are referred to as "dogs" so Joel cannot be referring to gentiles there. It was only for Jews in the nation of Israel.
Being called a dog doesn't prevent a gentile from receiving a blessing.

Matthew 15:26-28
He replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.”
27 “Yes it is, Lord,” she said. “Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.”
28 Then Jesus said to her, “Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.” And her daughter was healed at that moment.

Saint Steven said:
Why do you consider what happened at Cornelius' house a second outpouring? I see it as an extension of the outpouring at Pentecost. Doesn't it cause doctrinal issues to claim that there were two outpourings? Acts 2 says it was for ALL people. (not just the Jews)

Acts 2:17
“‘In the last days, God says,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your young men will see visions,
your old men will dream dreams.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.