Holy Spirit and Tingling Sensation: Is It Wrong to Feel the Burn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Think we need to be careful about identifying something as ungodly because it hasn't happened to us or doesn't look right to us.

It isn't, for me, a matter of "I don't have any experience of this so it must be wrong." Goodness, that would be both ignorant and stupid. I think I've made my opposition to a pursuit of a sensual experience of God from a scriptural basis.

-at the burning bush, Moses trembled "When Moses saw it, he wondered at the sight: and as he drew near to behold it, the voice of the Lord came unto him, 32 Saying, I am the God of thy fathers, the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. Then Moses trembled, and durst not behold." Acts 7:31-32

The story of Moses and the burning bush in Exodus 3 indicates that Moses was afraid when he heard the voice of God command him from the burning bush (Ex. 3:6). If he was trembling - and the account in Exodus doesn't actually say this - then it was out of fear, not because the Spirit of God had come upon him.

- 2Ch 5:14 "So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God."

I suppose this is supposed to be the scriptural ground for the "glory clouds" that are popular at many modern NAR meetings. Of course, the mist at these meetings that emanates from the heating/cooling systems of the building or from some well-hidden smoke machines on stage or among the lighting high above is a far cry from what is described in 2 Chronicles 5:14. The cloud was such that the priests could not continue to perform their priestly duties. And it wasn't just a cloud that halted their efforts but the "glory of the Lord" that other places in Scripture give us to understand was a brilliant, fiery blinding light:

Exodus 24:17
17 The sight of the glory of the Lord was like a consuming fire on the top of the mountain in the eyes of the children of Israel.

2 Chronicles 7:2-3
2 And the priests could not enter the house of the Lord, because the glory of the Lord had filled the Lord's house.
3 When all the children of Israel saw how the fire came down, and the glory of the Lord on the temple, they bowed their faces to the ground on the pavement, and worshiped and praised the Lord, saying: "For He is good, For His mercy endures forever."

Isaiah 4:5
5 then the Lord will create above every dwelling place of Mount Zion, and above her assemblies, a cloud and smoke by day and the shining of a flaming fire by night. For over all the glory there will be a covering.

Ezekiel 1:27
27 Also from the appearance of His waist and upward I saw, as it were, the color of amber with the appearance of fire all around within it; and from the appearance of His waist and downward I saw, as it were, the appearance of fire with brightness all around.

Luke 2:9
9 And behold, an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were greatly afraid.

The modern "glory clouds" are a weak, tepid, and false attempt to manufacture the divine glory described in Scripture. It boggles my mind that Christians are so willing to accept this lame NAR trickery as the genuine article. It doesn't even get close.

-Rev 1:17 "And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:"

Again, it was fear, not the Spirit, that brought the apostle John to the ground.

-"They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.” John 18

Why? Why did they stagger backward and fall? Was the Spirit come upon them? Nope. As in the case of Moses and John, it was fear that caused this reaction to Christ.

As I said, there is not one single verse in all of Scripture that urges us to seek a sensual experience of God. No where in the Bible are Christians encouraged to pursue tingles, trembling, liver shivers or warm oozies. Instead we read:

Matthew 16:24-25
24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.
25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.

There isn't, as far as I can see, much self-denial in a sensual faith. In fact, such a faith seems to me to be quite the opposite of a self-sacrificing, cross-centered one. Instead of the focus being upon Jesus it is upon physical sensations and a spiritualized gratification of the flesh.

Selah.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,460.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
posted: "... my opposition to a pursuit of a sensual experience of God from a scriptural basis."

Yeshua said look at the signs and wonders "If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him." John 10:37-38 He said with the signs and wonders the folks will realize it's Him. As does "... he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort." (I Cor 14:3) These and other Godly spiritual experiences point to Him.

posted: "Of course, the mist at these meetings that emanates from the heating/cooling systems of the building or from some well-hidden smoke machines on stage." "The modern "glory clouds" are a weak, tepid, and false attempt to manufacture the divine glory described in Scripture. It boggles my mind that Christians are so willing to accept this lame NAR trickery as the genuine article. It doesn't even get close."

So Yahweh could do it during Biblical times but He can't do it now. That's not my view.

Yes fire did accompany Godly experiences before including on the day of Pentecost "... cloven tongues like as of fire,..." Acts 2:3 Because it doesn't happen today (not that I know of) doesn't mean tongues aren't real today. Someone maybe able to explain why it happened earlier but not now. But that doesn't keep me from knowing that glory clouds happened earlier and they happen now.

posted: "... If he was trembling - and the account in Exodus doesn't actually say this - then it was out of fear, not because the Spirit of God had come upon him-"

No matter the purpose - which isn't stated - Moses trembled. Based on the above response it seems the only acceptable response to Yahweh is fear. Wonder why that is. When some experience Him now, there is fear sometimes. Yahweh made us with feelings. When we look at the fruit of The Spirit we see "...joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, meekness, temperance..." Gal 5:22-23 Additionally there is Scripture such as "...in thy presence is fulness of joy;" Psa 16:11

There are spiritual functions for each of our physical senses such as:
-Isaiah 6:1-10, sight, vision, heard
-Peter saw, heard, and felt an angel. Acts 12:7
-In I Kings 19:7, Elijah saw and ate the food (food usually has a smell).
-Ezekiel wrote, "So I ate it, and it tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth" (Ezek. 3:1-3). John received a scroll from an angel. He wrote, "It tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth, but when I had eaten it, my stomach turned sour" (Rev. 10:8-10).

Shown in other Scriptures such as Isaiah 6:1-2; Acts 12:7; I Kings 19:7; Ezek 3:1-3; Rev 10:8-10.

Whatever Yahweh does, He has a purpose. He moves the way He wants to touch folks individually as He sees fit since He knows us better than we know ourselves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yeshua said look at the signs and wonders "If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him." John 10:37-38 He said with the signs and wonders the folks will realize it's Him. As does "... he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort." (I Cor 14:3) These and other Godly spiritual experiences point to Him.

Sign and wonders in Scripture were always the proof of the divine authority with which OT prophets, the apostles, and Christ spoke and acted. But they were not the daily experience of the average Jewish person, nor were signs and wonders commonplace among the believers in the Early Church. In the record of the Bible, there was a particular purpose to the miraculous revolving around the need to establish that what was said and done was of and from God. Today, however, "signs and wonders" are urged upon believers as the way they can tell they are truly saved and as the normal experience of God. But this isn't what Scripture teaches.

There are times today when God displays His power in order to persuade a person or group of people to a relationship with Himself. But these are relatively rare, I think, and clearly for the purpose of pointing to, and glorifying, God and bringing the lost to salvation. God doesn't do signs and wonders just so His children can get a thrill and feel pumped up and excited. He's not a court magician or jester.

So Yahweh could do it during Biblical times but He can't do it now. That's not my view.

It's not that I think He can't do such things now but that what is held up as from God (ie. glory clouds) today is such a lame and false attempt at the real thing that anyone should be able to see through it. I'm really baffled by how weak people expect God to be in His manifestations of Himself. The glory of the Lord described in Scripture is far more incredible, far more powerful, far more awe-inspiring than mist, or gold dust, or feathers falling from above.

Yes fire did accompany Godly experiences before including on the day of Pentecost "... cloven tongues like as of fire,..." Acts 2:3 Because it doesn't happen today (not that I know of) doesn't mean tongues aren't real today.

I don't discount tongues entirely. I think God can and may enable someone to speak in tongues that His Gospel might be communicated to the lost. But making the least of all gifts - and the easiest of them to fake - as the litmus test of a person's salvation and the proof of the depth of their relationship with God as so many do today is totally unscriptural.

No matter the purpose - which isn't stated - Moses trembled.

Exodus 3:6
6 Moreover He said, "I am the God of your father--the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look upon God.

Moses's trembling was out of fear.

Based on the above response it seems the only acceptable response to Yahweh is fear. Wonder why that is. When some experience Him now, there is fear sometimes. Yahweh made us with feelings.

I think the modern Church has lost a proper "fear of the Lord." The thought of the power, majesty, and holiness of God doesn't drop us to our knees in reverential awe as it should. But all throughout Scripture when people came face-to-face with God, fear, and a sense of their deep sinfulness overcame them. This isn't what I see in modern experiences of the Spirit. No, it's usually a hysterical gong-show, with all manner of ridiculous and blasphemous behaviour going on.

Whatever Yahweh does, He has a purpose. He moves the way He wants to touch folks individually as He sees fit since He knows us better than we know ourselves.

Sure God can do as He likes. Amen. But He gave us His word that places boundaries on our conduct, our doctrines, and our general expectations of Him. I think much of NAR/hyper-charismatic stuff moves well beyond what is biblical and into blasphemy and false teaching. And this movement toward the sensual in walking with God is just part-and-parcel of what James calls an earthly and devilish "wisdom."

Selah.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only place in Scripture one finds anything paralleling the modern sensual "experience" of the Spirit is in the descriptions of those who are demon possessed. Electric shocks, hysteria, convulsions, being thrown to the ground, physical injury - none of these things have any appearance in Scripture in relation to the moving of God's Spirit among believers. But we can read of such things in the Bible in relation to the demonic:

Definition: Sensual - of or arousing gratification of the senses and physical, especially sexual, pleasure.

I would appreciate it if you would use a different word. I know you are trying to be helpful, but to call that a sensual experience is to slander something you don't understand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Definition: Sensual - of or arousing gratification of the senses and physical, especially sexual, pleasure.

I would appreciate it if you would use a different word. I know you are trying to be helpful, but to call that a sensual experience is to slander something you don't understand.

I use the word the apostle James uses in his description of the "wisdom that is not from above" that is, besides being sensual, also earthly and devilish.

The whole reason I make any comment is that I believe I do understand the sensual experience people on this thread are claiming to have of God. As James explains, such a sensual (not sexual) experience is not actually of God at all.

Selah.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The whole reason I make any comment is that I believe I do understand the sensual experience people on this thread are claiming to have of God. As James explains, such a sensual (not sexual) experience is not actually of God at all.
Sensual is not a word that describes it in any capacity of that definition.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone ever experienced after conversion, prayer time or spirit baptism a sensation of tingling in fingers or hands? Have you ever felt burning in palms or conscious of something like electric currents in your body?
To what end? This sounds so woo. Pagans experience similar things in their altered states of consciousness too. Experiencing such means absolutely nothing.

Upvote 0

Rose112165

Aug 20, 2018
PA
✟15,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone ever experienced after conversion, prayer time or spirit baptism a sensation of tingling in fingers or hands? Have you ever felt burning in palms or conscious of something like electric currents in your body?

So, OP I have had this happen to me since salvation. That was 18 years ago. Actually I only joined this site because I finally decided to see if anyone else has gone through it as well. I googled the question.. and there you were.

It's interesting, Ive never felt compelled to research as to why until now -primarily because of a new revelation. I have accepted that salvation had brought on a great many changes. The fruit of the spirit is just that. I take scripture literally, for the most part Doors are naturally opened in the spiritual realm, sometimes good sometimes questionable and reading scriptures helps to discern it and not to dwell on whatever gift may be given, even if it's well.. a bit odd to others and even the person who this may happen to. I see it now as just a cause and effect. The purpose has been the same -Glory to the father. While delivering the message of having a personal relationship by the voluntary death of Christ for all to come to salvation.

Like you, my happens occasionally and I become prophetic. Not always while I read, if anything, it leads to read.. And I become aware that God's trying to tell me something. However yesterday it was different yet is quite fascinating.

My son had taken a photo of himself sitting in a car called Tesla. So I asked my self What's a Tesla? That led me on the Journey. Turns out, long story short the tingle on my right hand has led me to a man by the name of Nikola Tesla. Nikola Tesla was a Serbian American inventor, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, physicist, and futurist who is best known for his contributions to the design of the modern alternating current electricity supply system. This genius man died alone and poor, yet could be the key to how the spirit of God works. It's not just science. It's an electric frequency. You and I may be experiencing just a slight dose of it. I would suggest connecting the dots. I hope it helps. At the bottom, I found a person who's also compared it to a lighting bolt. Personally, the tingle on my hand is more than enough! lol

https://www.charismamag.com/spirit/...-holy-spirit-s-electric-power-sweeps-over-you

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rose112165

Aug 20, 2018
PA
✟15,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So, OP I have had this happen to me since salvation. That was 18 years ago. Actually I only joined this site because I finally decided to see if anyone else has gone through it as well. I googled the question.. and there you were.

It's interesting, Ive never felt compelled to research as to why until now -primarily because of a new revelation. I have accepted that salvation had brought on a great many changes. The fruit of the spirit is just that. I take scripture literally, for the most part Doors are naturally opened in the spiritual realm, sometimes good sometimes questionable and reading scriptures helps to discern it and not to dwell on whatever gift may be given, even if it's well.. a bit odd to others and even the person who this may happen to. I see it now as just a cause and effect. The purpose has been the same -Glory to the father. While delivering the message of having a personal relationship by the voluntary death of Christ for all to come to salvation.

Like you, my happens occasionally and I become prophetic. Not always while I read, if anything, it leads to read.. And I become aware that God's trying to tell me something. However yesterday it was different yet is quite fascinating.

My son had taken a photo of himself sitting in a car called Tesla. So I asked my self What's a Tesla? That led me on the Journey. Turns out, long story short the tingle on my right hand has led me to a man by the name of Nikola Tesla. Nikola Tesla was a Serbian American inventor, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, physicist, and futurist who is best known for his contributions to the design of the modern alternating current electricity supply system. This genius man died alone and poor, yet could be the key to how the spirit of God works. It's not just science. I would suggest connecting the dots. I hope it helps.
https://www.charismamag.com/spirit/...-holy-spirit-s-electric-power-sweeps-over-you

Upvote 0

Mar y Jane Pranger

Jul 11, 2018
West Point
✟7,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
First thing is there is nothing called 'cheap thrill' when it comes to God. When people use meaningless and insulting words to describe how the Holy Spirit move, those people are ignorant and they lack respect for the works of God. They are also being used by the enemy.

God is GOD, and He can choose to move however He likes, if some people dont feel it, that is them, but for those who feel the presence of the Holy Spirit mightily, then they know that it is the works and hands of God.

When God moves among His people, you would have to be dull and emotionless to not feel anything. He is not a man that would just walk into a room and no one will feel anything. He is the Father of all Spirit that is HOLY.

Ok, having got that off my chest, what I wanted to say to what you said is that you have a gift from God that He would want to use in/through you if you avail yourself for HIM to do so. Remember the enemy is going to try to attempt to try to stop you from being what/who God wants you to be. The weapon to use against that is the word of God. Trust in God, Faith in Him, and HIS NAME.

Availing yourself is going all out to Him, and saying "HERE I AM. Let your will be done" and more. You have got to give Him absolute and total control. Not everyone has the same gifts and not everyone is called to missions. God has selected those He has called to certain Missions. We don't know, He knows and only He equips those He has called in His own way.

SUBMIT yourself to Him, turn your life over to Him completely, and increase the quiet time you spend with Him. Seek His face in Spirit and Truth, and I assure you He will reveal His plan to you and go with you every step of the way.

You don't have to tell everyone what you know, feel and can sense. Let God in first and let His gift in you speak for itself when the time is right. God is a Master Panner, no one can rush ahead of Him. He will do what He will at the right time.

Goodluck

Reactions: Sanoy
Upvote 0

PipersOpus

Nov 24, 2018
Midwest
✟15,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

Thank you for posting this question! I did a Google search tonight on this topic and was led to this forum. I’ve felt this tingling sensation/electric current throughout my body/tingling sensation/“God chills” (as I like to call them, for my entire life. This physical feeling is not always present; it manifests during or after prayer, during or after reading scripture, being among other believers, listening to Christian music, when I disciple to others, or sometimes just out of nowhere. This sensation doesn’t last long but the more I lean into Him, be more often I feel His presence and the stronger the sensation becomes. I’ve always felt extremely odd asking anyone else about this. I’ve felt quite abnormal to feel such a thing. Deep in my bones I just KNOW it is Him, that it’s the Holy Spirit. I’ve never questioned this and feel gifted with this spiritual blessing. But, I would also like to know more about this and finding others who experience the same. Thanks for being bold enough to share!

Upvote 0

Kimberly kay

Jan 14, 2019
Vermont
✟8,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a slightly afraid to write this for fear of being judged but I also feel a sense to share my experiences. First of all, I've never attended any of those places mentioned where glory clouds, gold dust or feathers falling were mentioned.
I grew up a Christian nearly all my life but My homelife as a child was very, very screwed up. I fell away from God for several years after a series of tragedies and I felt God didn't really care about me. Then God found me in 2016 and it felt like he literally breathed life on my dry bones. One minute I was so very lost and going through a very horrible depression. I was one heartbeat away from committing suicide then Jesus found me. Everything changed all at once. For the first time in my life I felt truly alive. Without trying to, things changed inside me, I wasn't able to swear anymore and when I heard anyone else using the Lord's name in vain it distressed me greatly. I had such a strong hunger to devour the bible which even though I grew up in a Christian home, I never truly took much interest in. My whole life entire life changed. I no longer had ANY desire for ANYTHING "wordly."
Then one night I felt Jesus come to me, I was very sad and I felt him inviting me to embrace him in a hug. I had never experienced such a thing before but what happened to me was truly beautiful. I felt surrounded in love a deeper love then I ever could imagine existed! It was the most beautiful feeling in the world. Since then I have encountered numerous experinces, including, a rush flowing threw me that feels like the feeling you get when you see a shooting star or something that excites you.
I HAVE felt what the OP describe as tingling in my fingers. I always thought of it as the Holy spirit/Jesus touching my hand or holding my hand. Letting me know he was therel. it generally happens during times of prayer when I'm seeking comfort. It doesn't scare me, it comforts me..and the holy spirit is our comforter.
Sometimes (a lot) it will feel as if my face is being caressed the way a parent would a little child's. I've experienced numerous other things too such beautiful, magnificent things all very comforting.
I'm saddened by many posts on here and am reminded of the the reaction the pharasies gave in the bible. Just because you haven't experienced something doesn't mean God won't do it.
I do however think you need to be careful and test every spirit and pay attention and take note how any encounter that you have effects your spiritual life.
You should ask yourself are moving closer to God? Are you producing good fruits? In my case, I've grown increasingly closer to Jesus.. I talk to him nearly six hours a day, spend about an hour reading my bible and doing daily devotionals. I've even managed to forgive those in my past that have caused me horrible trauma.
I'm even now thinking of trying to find a church to join. Which is a huuuge step for me because I haven't had the best experiences in my past concerning church. But I'm so hungry for spiritual food!!
It hasn't been all sunshine and rainbows, but God has moved tremendously in my life and I don't doubt for a second that these experiences are from God.
I don't deserve any of it and I can't explain why God would show such tenderness and love towards someone like me. maybe perhaps he just knows I'm in need to feel loved; a feeling I've never truly felt until Jesus came and rescued me from my very screwed up life.
All I know is that I've left the world in the rear view mirror and Jesus has breathed new life in me and given me a reason to go on.

Upvote 0

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a slightly afraid to write this for fear of being judged but I also feel a sense to share my experiences. First of all, I've never attended any of those places mentioned where glory clouds, gold dust or feathers falling were mentioned.
I grew up a Christian nearly all my life but My homelife as a child was very, very screwed up. I fell away from God for several years after a series of tragedies and I felt God didn't really care about me. Then God found me in 2016 and it felt like he literally breathed life on my dry bones. One minute I was so very lost and going through a very horrible depression. I was one heartbeat away from committing suicide then Jesus found me. Everything changed all at once. For the first time in my life I felt truly alive. Without trying to, things changed inside me, I wasn't able to swear anymore and when I heard anyone else using the Lord's name in vain it distressed me greatly. I had such a strong hunger to devour the bible which even though I grew up in a Christian home, I never truly took much interest in. My whole life entire life changed. I no longer had ANY desire for ANYTHING "wordly."
Then one night I felt Jesus come to me, I was very sad and I felt him inviting me to embrace him in a hug. I had never experienced such a thing before but what happened to me was truly beautiful. I felt surrounded in love a deeper love then I ever could imagine existed! It was the most beautiful feeling in the world. Since then I have encountered numerous experinces, including, a rush flowing threw me that feels like the feeling you get when you see a shooting star or something that excites you.
I HAVE felt what the OP describe as tingling in my fingers. I always thought of it as the Holy spirit/Jesus touching my hand or holding my hand. Letting me know he was therel. it generally happens during times of prayer when I'm seeking comfort. It doesn't scare me, it comforts me..and the holy spirit is our comforter.
Sometimes (a lot) it will feel as if my face is being caressed the way a parent would a little child's. I've experienced numerous other things too such beautiful, magnificent things all very comforting.
I'm saddened by many posts on here and am reminded of the the reaction the pharasies gave in the bible. Just because you haven't experienced something doesn't mean God won't do it.
I do however think you need to be careful and test every spirit and pay attention and take note how any encounter that you have effects your spiritual life.
You should ask yourself are moving closer to God? Are you producing good fruits? In my case, I've grown increasingly closer to Jesus.. I talk to him nearly six hours a day, spend about an hour reading my bible and doing daily devotionals. I've even managed to forgive those in my past that have caused me horrible trauma.
I'm even now thinking of trying to find a church to join. Which is a huuuge step for me because I haven't had the best experiences in my past concerning church. But I'm so hungry for spiritual food!!
It hasn't been all sunshine and rainbows, but God has moved tremendously in my life and I don't doubt for a second that these experiences are from God.
I don't deserve any of it and I can't explain why God would show such tenderness and love towards someone like me. maybe perhaps he just knows I'm in need to feel loved; a feeling I've never truly felt until Jesus came and rescued me from my very screwed up life.
All I know is that I've left the world in the rear view mirror and Jesus has breathed new life in me and given me a reason to go on.
Thanks for your reply and you are not at all unusual and it is great you felt comfortable enough to talk about it here. What is weird besides this is still going is that I had totally forgot about this thread, however I had an irresistible urge to return here a few days ago. The important stuff is your conversion and the transformation of your life. Maybe the little unusual spiritual touches are a bonus we get to enjoy to make it feel more real even if they some have have no practical use.

• Agree
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for posting this question! I did a Google search tonight on this topic and was led to this forum. I’ve felt this tingling sensation/electric current throughout my body/tingling sensation/“God chills” (as I like to call them, for my entire life. This physical feeling is not always present; it manifests during or after prayer, during or after reading scripture, being among other believers, listening to Christian music, when I disciple to others, or sometimes just out of nowhere. This sensation doesn’t last long but the more I lean into Him, be more often I feel His presence and the stronger the sensation becomes. I’ve always felt extremely odd asking anyone else about this. I’ve felt quite abnormal to feel such a thing. Deep in my bones I just KNOW it is Him, that it’s the Holy Spirit. I’ve never questioned this and feel gifted with this spiritual blessing. But, I would also like to know more about this and finding others who experience the same. Thanks for being bold enough to share!
Its all good somebody has to be weird enough to ask everyone lol. In the years I searched there are not too many people I found that also experience this however the few I did all indicated it was something associated with their experience of Christianity. Maybe prolonged deep times of prayer can alter the way our brains process the electrical currents within our bodies for some of us and we experience normal stuff differently and it is more noticeable at church etc. I haven't been able to work it out..

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's very much like raising ones hands when you sing at church. The leader might say "lift your hands", but this is the same thing. It's like raising your hands, but in the spirit. It's like singing, but in the spirit. It's like praying, but in the spirit.

Reactions: Spiritlight
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I find it very troubling when Christians invite each other into a sensual, that is, sense-oriented, experience of God. God is a Spirit, the Bible says, and not generally accessible to our physical senses. This is a big part of why we are told that we must "walk by faith, not by sight" with God. We usually validate the reality of a thing by way of our physical senses. If we can touch it, or smell it, or hear it, or feel it, it's real. But how do you touch an intangible Spirit? How do you smell it, or hear it, or see it? You can't. This doesn't stop many Christians from trying, though. They will feel God, they will have a sensual experience of Him - even when Scripture warns that this leads to a carnal, even demonic experience, not a godly one. The devil sees when a believer is disposed to a sensual experience of God. And, knowing how easy it is to lead Christians astray with such sensual "spirituality," he is delighted to help them have it. Counterfeiting an experience of God, he masquerades as the comforting arms of Jesus, or sends electric tingles down a person's arms, or makes them flush warm all over, and so on. The Christian is delighted, too, of course. They have felt God! Now they know He's real! Now they know He loves them! Never mind that He died on the cross for them. Never mind that He has revealed His love to them in His word, the Bible. What's really important is that they have felt God! And the devil laughs. The more he can lure a believer into this way of thinking, into a dependency upon a sensual experience of God, the farther from God he can lead them and still have them believe they are closer to God than they've ever been!

Galatians 5:17
17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.

Romans 8:5-8
5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.
8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Galatians 6:8
8 For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.

James 3:15
15 This wisdom does not descend from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic.

2 Corinthians 11:14
14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

Not once will you ever read of a single instance after the Ascension where anyone has a "snuggle moment" with Jesus. And none of the apostles teach that anyone should expect to. When the apostle John had his apocalyptic revelation, does it begin with a warm, fuzzy moment with Jesus? No. Surely, a man who had suffered for Christ as much as John had (he was boiled in oil before his exile to Patmos) ought to have had at least a few hugs from Jesus when he was drawn into the Spirit and given his amazing divine revelation. But, no, not a single hug, no gentle kisses of affection, no tender moments of love from his Saviour. How different John's experience of God was from that of the modern believer, hungry for sensual (and by "sensual" I don't mean sexual, though in some cases pseudo-romantic) moments with their Maker! Isn't God eager to sweep us up in His loving arms and cuddle us? Not if what happened to John is anything to go by.

John 4:24
24 "God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Ojpalosa
Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find it very troubling when Christians invite each other into a sensual, that is, sense-oriented, experience of God. God is a Spirit, the Bible says, and not generally accessible to our physical senses. This is a big part of why we are told that we must "walk by faith, not by sight" with God. We usually validate the reality of a thing by way of our physical senses. If we can touch it, or smell it, or hear it, or feel it, it's real. But how do you touch an intangible Spirit? How do you smell it, or hear it, or see it? You can't. This doesn't stop many Christians from trying, though. They will feel God, they will have a sensual experience of Him - even when Scripture warns that this leads to a carnal, even demonic experience, not a godly one. The devil sees when a believer is disposed to a sensual experience of God. And, knowing how easy it is to lead Christians astray with such sensual "spirituality," he is delighted to help them have it. Counterfeiting an experience of God, he masquerades as the comforting arms of Jesus, or sends electric tingles down a person's arms, or makes them flush warm all over, and so on. The Christian is delighted, of course. They have felt God! Now they know He's real! Now they know He loves them! Never mind that He died on the cross for them. Never mind that He has revealed His love to them in His word, the Bible. What's really important is that they have felt God! And the devil laughs. The more he can lure a believer into this way of thinking, into a dependency upon a sensual experience of God, the farther from God he can lead them and still have them believe they are closer to God than they've ever been!

Galatians 5:17
17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.

Romans 8:5-8
5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.
8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Galatians 6:8
8 For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.

James 3:15
15 This wisdom does not descend from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic.

2 Corinthians 11:14
14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

Not once will you ever read of a single instance after the Ascension where anyone has a "snuggle moment" with Jesus. And none of the apostles teach that anyone should expect to. When the apostle John had his apocalyptic revelation, does it begin with a warm, fuzzy moment with Jesus? No. Surely, a man who had suffered for Christ as much as John had (he was boiled in oil before his exile to Patmos) ought to have had at least a few hugs from Jesus when he was drawn into the Spirit and given his amazing divine revelation. But, no, not a single hug, no gentle kisses of affection, no tender moments of love from his Saviour. How different John's experience of God was from that of the modern believer, hungry for sensual (and by "sensual" I don't mean sexual, though in some cases pseudo-romantic) moments with their Maker! Isn't God eager to sweep us up in His loving arms and cuddle us? Not if what happened to John is anything to go by.

John 4:24
24 "God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."
I wanted to say first off you are doing exactly what you should be doing, and you are doing it in a respectful way, so I hope respondents return that same respect.

I recognize what you said, I have seen a lot of exactly what you describe in the Charismatic movement, including the electricity. I know that there are some evil spirits doing this to people, and I know that one of the key indications is when a persons seeks feeling over truth. I can't speak for everyone but my experience is far from that. It is something my spirit is doing, like an offering of worship. There is no sensual satisfaction in my experience, it is more a transition from bodily focus to what my spirit is doing.

In regards to what the Bible says I don't think we can say much from its silence regarding individual Christian experience. The epistles were written over the churches and cover broad issues in the church. I'm not sure my personal experience would have warranted an epistle.

• Agree
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I know that one of the key indications is when a persons seeks feeling over truth.

Amen! Unfortunately, many Christians are being taught that feelings are truth. This makes me think of a little poem my Mom used to quote to me:

"Feelings come and feelings go,
And feelings are deceiving.
My warrant is the word of God.
Nought else is worth believing."

I can't speak for everyone but my experience is far from that.

I'm glad to know it!

In regards to what the Bible says I don't think we can say much from its silence regarding individual Christian experience.

Well, we have 2 Timothy 3:16-17. In this passage, Paul tells Timothy that in Scripture all that one needs to know for Christian doctrine and practice is contained. If, then, a practice or belief pertaining to the faith that a Christian has adopted has no support in Scripture, that practice or belief is at least unnecessary and may even be harmful (2 Peter 2:1-3) as such practices and beliefs often are.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.