Holy Spirit and Tingling Sensation: Is It Wrong to Feel the Burn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Has anyone ever experienced after conversion, prayer time or spirit baptism a sensation of tingling in fingers or hands? Have you ever felt burning in palms or conscious of something like electric currents in your body?
Yep. When I accepted Christ I had a sensation that went from the bottom of my feet to the top of my head. It scared me. But I kept asking Jesus to come into my heart & I felt no different... I kept nagging in prayer. I guess He showed me! ^_^

Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have a couple times, but usually the tingly sensations come from my bad circulation and me dancing/flag-worshiping/jumping too hard during worship. But I always feel a warmth different than after physical exercise. And I know physical exercise, I played varsity soccer under summer heat. Ugh.

Upvote 0

Smiler33

Smiling .... and meaning it this time!
Sep 20, 2010
UK
✟15,837.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone ever experienced after conversion, prayer time or spirit baptism a sensation of tingling in fingers or hands? Have you ever felt burning in palms or conscious of something like electric currents in your body?

Yes, when I was filled with the Holy Spirit back in Easter this year. It felt like I had electric currents in my arms and they felt almost like they were pulsing. I shook, couldn't walk, prayed in tongues and basically was down for 45 minutes or so! Some MAJOR healing took place during this time.

Like others have said though it's so easy to get hooked on these feelings alone - we need to turn our eyes to Jesus, not the feelings. I'm sure you know this already but this is something I struggled with.

Upvote 0

vortigen84

Nov 24, 2009
✟9,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

No, but I've felt it around attractive women. Does that count?

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2010
California
✟8,016.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In the New Testament there are no accounts of the strange phenomena being discussed or mentioned. God's house is a house of order! That is plainly stated in the New Testament.

There are legitimate gifts of his spirit however, but their are rules associated with those gifts that are not open for broad interpretation of those with an agenda that works against God's true intention.

Galatians mentions the fruits of God's spirit.....evidence if the operation or presence of God is real or imitation. First and foremost indicator should be that of peace within the people affected. Strange unnatural sensations? Really? Sound like that is from God? Is their edification for the body there? Does any part of a religeous practice or doctrine violate the teachings of the Bible?

If there is a true noticeable sense of peace and tranquilty that defies the circumstances....???? Everbody calm....everthing in order? Sense of love, humility, foregivness, willing to help, etc? Might be proof of the real God's presence/hand.

But on the other hand.....is there something that raises questions and doubts? Things that are very similar to pagan rituals and practices? You might want to pray for guidance and wisdom from the Creator.

Remember that Old Testament verse about "the Still Small Voice" ?????

Last edited:
Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

back2thebible

Oct 7, 2012
✟422.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You should be wary of such manefestations, simply because they are strange or fascinating does not mean it was a genuine touch of the Holy Spirit.

The gifts of the Holy Spirit always empart power from God to do something, whether that is prophecy, or slaying enemies, or healing, or preaching in new languages, the effects of the spirit are not simply for a cool sensation.

Certainly peace and love and joy are the fruits of the spirit, but these are not tangible, they are the effects on someones overall life, they are not simply tingling feelings of pleasure or excitement.

If you go home from these "experiences" and you feel no different asside from the fact that you had this memory of the experience, you have not experienced the Spirit's power. If you did, you would feel lasting change.

I have gone to meetings and had similar experiences as the one you described and come away with bewilderment afterward. Bewilderment is not from the Lord.

I have also seen friends affected by much stronger experiences, and become unconscious and have cold hands and feet. The fruit of this experience turned out to be that they fell away from the Lord soon after. I concluded it was not the HS, but in fact a false sign.

Beware of false prophets performing fake signs and wonders. THe Bible warns of these things and we are to be watchful for it. Do your own research and look into these things and you will find out that there is a countefeit for almost everything. Especially beware of people who are twitching and convulsing in the spirit, if they do nothing to proclaim the truth of Jesus when this happens, it is certainly fake. It is also possible to have both fake signs and false prophecy together as well.

you made alot of good points, this person should also be warned of Christians who are void of any of the Spiritual giftings of the Holy Spirit and no longer believe in the power of these Spiritual gifts, such as Paul warns Timothy 3:1-5

But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 HAVING A FORM OF GODLINESS BUT DENYING ITS POWER. Have nothing to do with such people.

Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What it is with me guys is I am a bit energy sensitive. It's a non spiritual thing, but closer to a physical/mental thing. I don't talk much about it for fear of condemnation off anyone. It's a bit like hearing or seeing, just another sense that's fairly not so useful as far as I can work out.

Those senses are heightened when on a spiritual high. The only way that is achieved is prayer and a best effort at a sin free life (which I confess I struggle with).

Then everything is as the guys above said about the still. Small voice and the joy in The Lord being first over cheap thrills.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2010
California
✟8,016.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You might find it interesting to do a detailed search about "gnosticism"

Many cults are based on "hidden" or "deeper truths".....someone's interpretations or "secret knowledge".....it says nothing about needing a secret decoder ring in the Bible?

Will you risk your eternal fate and hapiness on supposition? Or God's Holy Word?

The choice is ours alone to make, and suffer the consequences of......

Upvote 0

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
In the New Testament there are no accounts of the strange phenomena being discussed or mentioned. God's house is a house of order! That is plainly stated in the New Testament.

There are legitimate gifts of his spirit however, but their are rules associated with those gifts that are not open for broad interpretation of those with an agenda that works against God's true intention.

Galatians mentions the fruits of God's spirit.....evidence if the operation or presence of God is real or imitation. First and foremost indicator should be that of peace within the people affected. Strange unnatural sensations? Really? Sound like that is from God? Is their edification for the body there? Does any part of a religeous practice or doctrine violate the teachings of the Bible?

If there is a true noticeable sense of peace and tranquilty that defies the circumstances....???? Everbody calm....everthing in order? Sense of love, humility, foregivness, willing to help, etc? Might be proof of the real God's presence/hand.

But on the other hand.....is there something that raises questions and doubts? Things that are very similar to pagan rituals and practices? You might want to pray for guidance and wisdom from the Creator.

Remember that Old Testament verse about "the Still Small Voice" ?????

:o:o:o

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
What it is with me guys is I am a bit energy sensitive. It's a non spiritual thing, but closer to a physical/mental thing. I don't talk much about it for fear of condemnation off anyone. It's a bit like hearing or seeing, just another sense that's fairly not so useful as far as I can work out.

Those senses are heightened when on a spiritual high. The only way that is achieved is prayer and a best effort at a sin free life (which I confess I struggle with).

Then everything is as the guys above said about the still. Small voice and the joy in The Lord being first over cheap thrills.

First thing is there is nothing called 'cheap thrill' when it comes to God. When people use meaningless and insulting words to describe how the Holy Spirit move, those people are ignorant and they lack respect for the works of God. They are also being used by the enemy.

God is GOD, and He can choose to move however He likes, if some people dont feel it, that is them, but for those who feel the presence of the Holy Spirit mightily, then they know that it is the works and hands of God.

When God moves among His people, you would have to be dull and emotionless to not feel anything. He is not a man that would just walk into a room and no one will feel anything. He is the Father of all Spirit that is HOLY.

Ok, having got that off my chest, what I wanted to say to what you said is that you have a gift from God that He would want to use in/through you if you avail yourself for HIM to do so. Remember the enemy is going to try to attempt to try to stop you from being what/who God wants you to be. The weapon to use against that is the word of God. Trust in God, Faith in Him, and HIS NAME.

Availing yourself is going all out to Him, and saying "HERE I AM. Let your will be done" and more. You have got to give Him absolute and total control. Not everyone has the same gifts and not everyone is called to missions. God has selected those He has called to certain Missions. We don't know, He knows and only He equips those He has called in His own way.

SUBMIT yourself to Him, turn your life over to Him completely, and increase the quiet time you spend with Him. Seek His face in Spirit and Truth, and I assure you He will reveal His plan to you and go with you every step of the way.

You don't have to tell everyone what you know, feel and can sense. Let God in first and let His gift in you speak for itself when the time is right. God is a Master Panner, no one can rush ahead of Him. He will do what He will at the right time.

Goodluck

Upvote 0

sk8brdkd

Audio A Sk8er
Feb 25, 2006
Wayne
Visit site
✟73,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

i never really experienced tingling in the hands or anything. However, a few years after i became a christian, it started where God was giving me these huge sensations of deep peace which is something i really can't explain to you other then I was at peace when I had this deep peace sensation. Sometimes they lasted anywhere from a few minutes up to 2 weeks. It was the most amazing feeling ever and yes, I was going through an extremely difficult spiritual battle at that time (still am but don't receive that peace anymore).

A little off topic, but, for me what was strange is, even when i was doing something wrong, i still had that deep peace --- you think God would've been sad that i was doing that but, maybe he knew more that I needed that comfort feeling and kept it w/ me.

For me, that peace was "comfort food"

Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

sk8brdkd

Audio A Sk8er
Feb 25, 2006
Wayne
Visit site
✟73,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
First thing is there is nothing called 'cheap thrill' when it comes to God. When people use meaningless and insulting words to describe how the Holy Spirit move, those people are ignorant and they lack respect for the works of God. They are also being used by the enemy.

God is GOD, and He can choose to move however He likes, if some people dont feel it, that is them, but for those who feel the presence of the Holy Spirit mightily, then they know that it is the works and hands of God.

When God moves among His people, you would have to be dull and emotionless to not feel anything. He is not a man that would just walk into a room and no one will feel anything. He is the Father of all Spirit that is HOLY.

Ok, having got that off my chest, what I wanted to say to what you said is that you have a gift from God that He would want to use in/through you if you avail yourself for HIM to do so. Remember the enemy is going to try to attempt to try to stop you from being what/who God wants you to be. The weapon to use against that is the word of God. Trust in God, Faith in Him, and HIS NAME.

Availing yourself is going all out to Him, and saying "HERE I AM. Let your will be done" and more. You have got to give Him absolute and total control. Not everyone has the same gifts and not everyone is called to missions. God has selected those He has called to certain Missions. We don't know, He knows and only He equips those He has called in His own way.

SUBMIT yourself to Him, turn your life over to Him completely, and increase the quiet time you spend with Him. Seek His face in Spirit and Truth, and I assure you He will reveal His plan to you and go with you every step of the way.

You don't have to tell everyone what you know, feel and can sense. Let God in first and let His gift in you speak for itself when the time is right. God is a Master Panner, no one can rush ahead of Him. He will do what He will at the right time.

Goodluck

I just had to comment on your response except i kinda lost my train of thought at the moment. I just want to say i feel your response is right on. I remember, when i became a christian -- God actually "found me" but, i remember a few years afterwards, i felt like God had a special plan for me and when i was praying, i constantly would tell him, "let your/thy will be done in my life, not my will but yours" and i would do anything to try to stay faithful even restrict myself in certain ways except the longer i have been a christian, actually, the harder it has been for me to stay faithful, yet, when i pray, i constantly pray for faithfulness and for his will to be done in my life. I can say this is prob the hardest thing i've ever done and for right now, this life is not fun.

Upvote 0

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i never really experienced tingling in the hands or anything. However, a few years after i became a christian, it started where God was giving me these huge sensations of deep peace which is something i really can't explain to you other then I was at peace when I had this deep peace sensation. Sometimes they lasted anywhere from a few minutes up to 2 weeks. It was the most amazing feeling ever and yes, I was going through an extremely difficult spiritual battle at that time (still am but don't receive that peace anymore).

A little off topic, but, for me what was strange is, even when i was doing something wrong, i still had that deep peace --- you think God would've been sad that i was doing that but, maybe he knew more that I needed that comfort feeling and kept it w/ me.

For me, that peace was "comfort food"
there sure are good experiences associated with our faith and many come with individually tailored reassuring sensations that god is in our presence. It's one of the benefits of our faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Goodluck
Good post I fully agree with you.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Re telling people stuff, I only am on the forum and normally would never tell people as it seems unimportant compared to say evangelizing or doing good works in Jesus name.

I was hoping to find a more experienced person with similar gifts tell me "this is how you use that in ministry".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah great post Ark. I've heard so many people do that, one woman at our old church said out loud over a mic that the holy spirit tingling in her felt like an [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]. I was just in shock, as was the crowd who sat there silently. She quickly ended her talk and got off stage. >.>

Upvote 0

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Ark100 that is an excellent post. Thanks!

Thanks, Thanks to God the most High

Yeah great post Ark. I've heard so many people do that, one woman at our old church said out loud over a mic that the holy spirit tingling in her felt like an [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]. I was just in shock, as was the crowd who sat there silently. She quickly ended her talk and got off stage. >.>

OH that is just wrong and weird. I dont know what I would have done if i was in the congregation. No one should speak of the Holy Spirit touch like that. It doesn't feel that way at all. She was way off.

pretty embarrassing thing to say.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.