United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Zenit News Agency (www.zenit.org)

Already married Anglican deacons and priests seeking ordination to the priesthood in the Catholic Church will be considered.

VATICAN CITY (Zenit.org) -
The Holy See is affirming that there is no disagreement between Benedict XVI and other Vatican officials on the question of celibacy and Anglican pastors who want to become Catholic.

Jesuit Father Federico Lombardi, director of the Vatican press office, issued a clarification Saturday addressing recent speculation on the delay of the announced apostolic constitution allowing for personal ordinariates for Anglicans wishing to enter into full communion with the Catholic Church.

Continued- http://www.catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=34750

Archangelus

Jan 30, 2007
North West England
✟8,376.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I know of a traniee priest left because he fell in love then the parish he moved to in Manchester a week after getting there the preist changed and who replaced him? a married former anglican Preist with a wife and kids. Stabbed in the back? Double Standards? I think so, I think God has a strange sense of humour!

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I look at this as a sort of clinical trial like the drug companies do when they are testing out a new medication. It's a way for the Church to see how well the married priesthood works in practice before making any changes.

It's really fortuitous that they have this ready made testing group to work with.

I hope the clinical trial is successful and followed by full approval (don't worry, celibacy fans, priests that were ordained through religious orders--Jesuit, Franciscan, would still take celibacy vows.)

Upvote 0

Called2Grace

My body, my birth my choice!
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2005
Australia
✟49,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Labor
Do you think that they will allow certain Catholic trained priests to be married?

On one hand I can understand that they want to accept people into the faith, but what about those Catholics who have in the past had to choose.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
No,ordained priests are not permitted to be married if they are celibate after ordination; however, the Church can allow married men into the priesthood. There is a difference. Priests have never allowed celibate or widowed priests to marry; however, she has in the past, and as in the case with 20 of the other Catholic rites admitted married men into her Holy priesthood of Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0